The role of Assassins in 8th

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Thenick18
Assassin

The role of Assassins in 8th

Post by Thenick18 »

Has this been asked? What role does your assassin play now in 8th ed, where all models get to attack back since casualties are removed from the back? Assassins have little armor, none, they're protection used to be killing all models in btb contact, so what now?
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

They're a bit too expensive for character-killing, IMO, but they still do have a bit of a role there. I'd only really use them with Manbane/Rending Stars now.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yep, either Rending Stars or watching the game from the outside. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I use mine purely for taking out the enemy BSB, not much else for them to do now that they are so vulnerable.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I'm thinking of adding a CC character killer assassin in after facing rubbish HE. Charging in in conjunction with another unit that contains a champion to ensure your assassin doesn't get challenged will be helpful. Shouldn't be too hard killing Teclis with as ASF many attack assassin. Aside from that job, my assassin will do nothing other than zip around killing WMs or flanking gunlines.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Just be careful he doesn't get killed by HE war machine crew since they now strike simultaneously. (I really hate ASF vs ASF now).
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

Manbane+rending stars with shades or manbane+rune of khaine for suicide caracter killing. The 3 option you had in 7 ed. with adding punch to your inf block is gone sadly.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

sulla wrote:Just be careful he doesn't get killed by HE war machine crew since they now strike simultaneously. (I really hate ASF vs ASF now).

Wait, so it doesnt go to Initiative if both have ASF? Thats messed up.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

true Sulla! man HE just got more lame... :roll:

two opposing ASF models fighting no longer go in initiative order Deme, it's simultaneous. Does that mean the higher initiative opponent also doesn't get rerolls for misses when fighting another ASF opponent?
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

Something I thought of today, they might be an interesting option to have if you are bringing a Sorceress with Shadow magic due to the lore attribute of that lore. Just to have a scouting character option, or if you don't want to reveal your hand to early.

Granted, not massively useful, but one might be able to come up with something interesting for that.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Meteor wrote:Does that mean the higher initiative opponent also doesn't get rerolls for misses when fighting another ASF opponent?
Correct. No rerolls in ASF v ASF.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Meteor and Sulla- That made Assassins more useless then. Ah well, looks like Ill be fielding mine with Rending stars/manbane when I decide to pull him out of the box.
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

I use mine to kill rank and file troops purely slaughter.
8th ed. Record win-tie-loss
Dark Elves: 2-0-0
Bretonnians: 0-0-0
Painted:
Dark Elves 1000pts.: 80%
Bretonnians 1000pts: 50%
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:Meteor and Sulla- That made Assassins more useless then. Ah well, looks like Ill be fielding mine with Rending stars/manbane when I decide to pull him out of the box.
I still use one in games where I don't take the cauldron just so I've got some killing blow in the list to take on BSB's with game winning banners like the VC regen, but yeah, generally speaking, assassins and most other combat heroes are pretty worthless in this edition. A dreadlord to fight, a cauldron to buff, and as many points on casters as you think you can spare is the most efficient use of points at present.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

They've certainly earned their place in my lists again, one-shotting Archaon (lul), creaming Vampires, and cutting down 4/6 Chaos knights before they could wreck my warriors.
Toddums
Warrior

Post by Toddums »

Fr0 wrote:They've certainly earned their place in my lists again, one-shotting Archaon (lul), creaming Vampires, and cutting down 4/6 Chaos knights before they could wreck my warriors.

Whats your set up fr0?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Regarding Khainite rule and Steadfast
Nice find that an assassin does transfer his stubborness into any infantry unit he is in (although the unit still has to use its own Ld, or the general's, but not the assassin's).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

I currently play the a CC Assasin, +D3 A and Manbane with a lot of success :-)
I do not stick him into the big combats.

Currently I either run him in the shades. Here he protects them from fast cav. etc. earning his points back (just put your shades by "mistake" half an inch into the charge lane of a small unit *g*) or enableing the shades to deploy in front of the enemy line (but not directly infront of a solid unit).
If the games goes on and no fast unit whishes to charge I sometimes go for the flank of CC or a small unit - in both cases only 2 or 3 modells can attack back. With WS 9 not the big problem.

The other use is to put him into my big unit (20) of RxBs to avoid that they are hunted down by some monster or MC or MB.

P.S. As a funny note I did not play the Assasin that often in 7th Ed. but by some starnge thing he found his place in my list :-)