2600 pt Morathi Wizarding Hat list (how to keep +4 to cast!)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Meteor
Executioner

2600 pt Morathi Wizarding Hat list (how to keep +4 to cast!)

Post by Meteor »

Ok, before we start, competition isn't the first thing in mind, it's built around how you could make wizarding hat really cool. However, it is still a list built to win games at a....relatively friendly manner.

First thing's first;

How I got to what I've decided for the Wizarding Hat user.

I was just idly musing with things in my mind as I was mopping the floor at home this morning, my mind wandered down to DE and the Wizarding Hat that I've always fancied using for lols. I've always wanted to play with Comet, going all my dice at IF big version whenever I can.

Anyway, at first, the cheapest and safest choice would be on a DL since he can take armour.
But it then occurred to me: he won't be allowed to throw more than 6 dice at a spell, nor will he get PoD either.

So the next obvious choice would be a SS with the hat, which is ok because I usually run mine without any defensive items anyway.
But Lv2 is weak as a magic defender, so it would've been nice if I had points for the +1 to dispel staff too.

Then my thinking expanded further, it wandered onto Morathi, because I recall reading that she doesn't have a magic item points limit, and I recall reading she can take two arcane items or something cool.

So when I reached my room with the mopping, I stopped, pulled out my army book and checked. Indeed she can take an Arcane item AND an Enchanted item, and it really doesn't have a points limit. PERFECT.

I then glanced at her other rules and read up on them, I then came across the part where it says she gets +1 to cast as well. So downgrading from a Lv4 to a Lv2 wizard improved her to a Lv3 equivalent when casting.

So...what Arcane item? I wondered.
Sac Dagger was the first thing that popped into mind, but she rides a DP, so it's impractical to keep her in a warrior bunker just for stabbing since she won't get "Look out Ma'am".

I was going to give her the +1 to dispel staff from the Common Magic Item section. But before that, I had a quick flick through the BRB's arcane section. My eyes stopped dead set when I read "Book of Ashur" or whatever it's called. The 70pt +1 to cast AND dispel item. I totally forgotten about it, and it's perfect! That now makes her a Lv4 equivalent when casting, and a Lv3 at dispelling, and a Lv3 is still ok versus a Lv4.

Yes it is an expensive model, but that's just...really cool!

The dilemma I have is, in the DE army book, pg 90 it states she knows ALL the spells from Dark Magic. The Wizard hat doesn't mention about the random lore overwriting anything, nor is there anything in the errata concerning it from what I read (Unless I missed it).

So technically, Morathi knows all the Dark Magic spells as a result, as well as two spells from a random lore?
I played it in one of two ways today with it, the opponent can either allow me to have all of dark magic and two random spells from a random lore. Or loremaster for a random lore since Morathi knowing all the spells from Dark Magic suggests she is a loremistress. - This guys, I would like your input into because it would be nice to know how it would actually work. I'm not trying to find loopholes or anything, I'm just using it as stated until someone clarifies it.

So that's the idea behind it, now onto my list that doesn't rely on the random nature of this caster. The list too, is experimental in itself, what I am experimenting with is a medium/big unit of combat DR as well as a horde of Executioners with the ASF DH. See what you think of this list as a whole eh?

Lord
Morathi w/ Wizarding Hat, Book of Ashur & Dark Sword - 650 bounty

Hero
Death Hag BSB w/ Witchbrew, Hand of Khaine (-1A on a model in B2B) & ASF Banner

CoB

Core
15 Dark Riders w/ FC & RxB - left shields because I still want that mobility and ability to shoot whilst marching.

35 Spearmen w/ FC & Shields (7x5)

5 Harpies
5 Harpies

Special
10 CoK w/ FC
40 Executioners w/ FC

And I believe that is all that's in my list.

I only managed to play one game with this list today, against Ogres. So maybe it was a bit unfair in the matching. Basically charged into 6 Ironguts that had the General and Slaughtermaster in it. The Executioners did about 16 Wounds, broke and ran that unit down which carried them into the rear of a unit of 6 Bulls with a Butcher in it, charged by the 15 DR and 10 CoK which hadn't fought yet. The BSB avoided the first combat because I maximised to make sure she wasn't touching the Ogre unit. She survived the second combat, the Bull unit got massacred, leaving the Butcher left before they swung.

His Scraplauncher misfired its first shot, rolled a 1 and killed itself. So I guess I can't say my Executioners aren't flawed against a shooting army, since such big pie plates from other armies such as Dwarves or Empire would really reduce their effectiveness in combat. But with the CoB constantly giving them the 5+ Ward, they'll survive a fair bit.

But it does confirm that given the ASF banner, they're a deadly unit to face in horde formation backed up by a CoB. It removes the two conditions that make them not so good in 8th ed. Always Strikes Last and no survivability to back it up. Otherwise, I5 with rerolls first round at WS5 S6 is not to be laughed at yea?

The DRs didn't shine, nor did they do horrible. The battle was over by start of turn 3, so I couldn't experiment with things for as much as I liked. But those 15 DR allowed me to harass his flank as well as expose the rear of that bull unit to my Executioner's overrun because he turned to face them. (I had Doom and Darkness on that Bull unit as well as Terror casted onto my Dark Riders from Morathi, she rolled up Death Magic ^^)

Morathi did her job, casting magic with the same potency, and I can't remember the last time I experienced the joy of a DP allowing my mage to position herself so easily. Ah....

That's all folks, what do you think of this list? Too many point sinks? Further tests required? I know for a fact that Morathi is a huge point sink and you definitely can do so much better with those 650pts.

But unfortunately that's not the point, it's all about the Wizarding Hat and we're still able to maintain a +4 to cast and a respectable +3 to dispel as defense even with the setback Wizard Hat gives. BUT, if you have a better idea on using that Wizard Hat, then by all means, please tell me!

I hope this gives readers some motivation to think broader and to encourage more people to experiment. We do have a lot of freedom to experiment since almost all units can take Magic Banners, even some champs can take Magic Items. Who knows? You might discover a deadly combo or build like the 11 CoK with ASF and Dreadlord someone came up with. There's no unit restrictions either, except for the 0-20 on BG.

ALSO....MERRY CHRISTMAS
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I'd understand too that hatted Morathi knows all the Dark Magic spells as well as two spells from a random lore.
As the resulting model is very, very expensive, I don't see a reasonable opponent objecting to that.

On the other hand, no written rule supports that Morathi has Loremistress. Now, if your opponent agrees with it as a homerule, fine.

Nice experiment, tell us how it goes.

Merry Christmas too. :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Oh it's just that the fact she knew all of dark magic spells kind of suggests it. There is indeed no actual written rule that points towards that, so it's just another way to settle things if the opponent doesn't agree on the first method.

This army faced WoC today, and once again got away from aoe pie plates in the form of a a hellcannon killing itself in its first shot of the game, and a flame storm big template scattering way off course. The big block of Executioners continues to rampage everything that contacts it before they get butchered. :)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Of course, if you just gave her the book of ashur without the hat then she would get +6 to cast and +5 to dispel. You could also give her the enchanted ruby ring (or whatever it's called, I don't have my BRB with me) for the extra power 3 bound spell.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Meteor - creator and mastermind of the the battiest hats idea on druchii.net... :P

Also owner of the best reasoning!
Meteor wrote:Yes it is an expensive model, but that's just...really cool!

I actually really like this strange concept - a flying warrior witch that knows 9 spells?! I'm afraid I'm really going to have to try this!! :D

I do quite like Red's suggestion though... :twisted:

and HOHOHO indeed!

edit: damn, mine looks italien :lol:
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Badass, but I reckon 9 spells + sac dagger would be even more powerful, with sheer number of power dice!
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Oh it sure would be. But Im just waiting to get lore of heavens and comet, then my dream will come true. All my pd, IF big version of comet everytime i can. Seriously, why would they limit it to one at a time? :(

It'd be so much more epic having two comets drop down at once causing much mayhem.

Plus i am curious as to hiw much deadlier DE can be in combination with the other half of the common lores like....beast and light :twisted:

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Then my thinking expanded further, it wandered onto Morathi , because I recall reading that she doesn't have a magic item points limit, and I recall reading she can take two arcane items or something cool.

So when I reached my room with the mopping, I stopped, pulled out my army book and checked. Indeed she can take an Arcane item AND an Enchanted item, and it really doesn't have a points limit . PERFECT.

Lord

I don't believe this is leagle as it states in the DE army book that Morathi may take an Arcane Item on Page 103 and or enchanted item from page 100 of our army book. It does not mention the BRB at all.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Nellamik wrote:
Then my thinking expanded further, it wandered onto Morathi , because I recall reading that she doesn't have a magic item points limit, and I recall reading she can take two arcane items or something cool.

So when I reached my room with the mopping, I stopped, pulled out my army book and checked. Indeed she can take an Arcane item AND an Enchanted item, and it really doesn't have a points limit . PERFECT.

Lord

I don't believe this is leagle as it states in the DE army book that Morathi may take an Arcane Item on Page 103 and or enchanted item from page 100 of our army book. It does not mention the BRB at all.

Yes, but it doesn't say Dark Elf magic item or something similar, it just says that she can take these magic items, and to use the points cost on those pages. If taken from the BRB, the second part is void, but the first part isn't.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.