Massed Witch Elves?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Errantconstruct
Slave on the Altar

Massed Witch Elves?

Post by Errantconstruct »

A friend of mine plays Lizardmen and tends to get as many models as he can rather than single, larger ones. I was thinking of trying Crone Hellebron, a Cauldron of Blood, and filling the rest of my army with Witch Elves, thanks to Hellebron making them core units. Hopefully, the cauldron will help them survive to melee range and their Frenzied, poisoned attacks wiill cut through his high toughness army. What do you think? Does this have any chance of working? Not sure how else to deal with damn lizardmen.
Infekted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Infekted »

As much as I would like Helebron to work, personally I have found her to be FAR too squishy. Unless you basically hide her away (i.e. not using her) she will die very quickly.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Core Witch Elves are great, and I think Hellebron's a fine choice mostly for that alone. If you're very diligent about hopping her from unit to unit to make sure she's in safe fights, and possibly take multiple Cauldrons to be able to support multiple Witch Elf units simultaneously, a Witch Elf-focused list works nicely. I'm not sure about its effectiveness against Lizardmen though; T3, unarmored units are just begging to die to Skink and Salamander shooting. I don't necessarily think the Witch Elf-heavy list gets you any advantages you couldn't get from a more standard setup.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

I love Witch Elves, they are great, i have them in almost every list (perhaps every list) but against Lizzies they imho suck :( Yeah, they have 3 attacks each + poison + you can use AP banner to deal at least little bit with their armor but still you are not going to kill enough of them and probably get slaughtered when return attacks come :(
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

More than most DE builds, Witch lists really need magic augments to handle things S3 poison attacks cannot - that is, heavily armored stuff.

The trick is, they also need expensive Hero options - Caldrons - and an expensive Lord choice - Hellebron - leaving very little room for casters.

On the other hand, if you throw in a big unit of Executioners with your special points, and restrict your Witches to your core requirements, then the lack of magic support matters less. Squeeze in a level 1 with Dispel Scroll or Seal of Ghrond and you'll do ok.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I thought (please correct me) Crone's only mounting option was her Manti?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, cos it's fun. Harpies too
Oderint dum Metuant.
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

So I’m a big/huge WE fan as well would not go anywhere without them. So to make them potent against the Lizards. I take shadow and hope that I get mindrazor. there is nothing more potent in this game like a unit of 6 wide WE with two rank at str 8. that is 24 attacks with re-roll to hit - str 8 add AP and you will mow through any unit in the game. add a COB that is now 32 attacks add to width and your adding 4 more attacks. This is devastating. But you need that mindrazor and you need it to go off… lots of things going your way.
Vulcan wrote:More than most DE builds, Witch lists really need magic augments to handle things S3 poison attacks cannot - that is, heavily armored stuff.

The trick is, they also need expensive Hero options - Caldrons - and an expensive Lord choice - Hellebron - leaving very little room for casters.

On the other hand, if you throw in a big unit of Executioners with your special points, and restrict your Witches to your core requirements, then the lack of magic support matters less. Squeeze in a level 1 with Dispel Scroll or Seal of Ghrond and you'll do ok.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I've said it before.

Midrazor is pretty awesome. Your oppnent knows it too. He WILL save dispel dice - heck he may save his dispel SCROLL - for that critical turn when you need it. And relying on irresistable force (and relying on surviving the subseuqent miscast) is dangerous and unreliable.

A big block of Executioners, on the other hand, are pretty darn reliable. They WILL bring the pain when they get into combat. They can take out Chaos Knights reliably... assuming you brought enough Executioners to survive their attack.