Battles Of 'The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen!'

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Battles Of 'The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen!'

Post by Dangerous Beans »

..../¨¨¨|
...|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
...~~/|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
...|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
...[>o<].....Welcome to theLeague of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen.

So, with the league formed and ever expanding thanks to the concept of Lord Tsunami and to celebrate the start of 2012 we decided to create a stickied thread about the battles, wars and reports of the members of such a league.

But what makes a druchii gentleman so extraordinary? Well... the first rule of The Druchii Gentlemen is 'that there is no...' ah damn, wait no thats the motto for Fight Club. Ah yes thats right, our rules are:

RULE #1: "You may not use a mounted Dreadlord that runs solo with his total points cost being 300 or less, nor may he join a unit of Dark Riders with 9 models or less."

RULE #2: "try as hard as you can to grow a moustache (particularly in November) that rivals that of our group icon and inspiration Hercule Poirot"

If you wish to read the original thread then the link can be found HERE.

So, without further ado - I shall now copy and paste the first report by Ichiyo1821 as found in the original thread:

Ichiyo1821 wrote:Played with just Spearmen, Crossbowmen, Cold One Knights, 1 Hydra, Blackguard and 1 Supreme Sorceress with Dark magic and no Dreadlord or POK against a mean Skaven army and I got pummeled in turn 4 haha.

DE Turn - 1 I killed 1 Warpfire Thrower and flew Harpies next to this HPA.
Skaven T1 -On his turn he 13th Dreaded my Crossbowmen and it goes trough. Kills 16. Both Warp Lightning Canon failed to do anything.

DE Turn 2- My Hydra breathes fire on his HPA followed by 40 RXB shots. I get 8 6's! Dead
Black Horror kills 20 Plague Monks.
Skaven Turn 2 - Wither on COK. 2 Warp Lightning misfires! lucky me!

DE turn 3 - COK and Black Guard front and flanked charged 40+ something Slaves and overruns into his Storm Vermin.
Skaven Turn 3 - His Furnace charges my Spearmen along with Censer Bearers, wipes the. Wither on COK and 13th Dreaded on Blackguard. I dispel 13th but had no DP left for Wither.

DE turn 4 -Black Horror kills more Plague Monks. Hydra flank charges Slaves who are steadfast on 5. He makes it, fckerrrr!Cok whittle down Stormvermin block.
Skaven turn 4- Plague Monks + Furnace charges my COK.

DE turn 5 - COB kills Gutterrunners, Hydra kill Slave unit.Black Guard charges flank of Plague Monks and wipes out unit.
Skaven turn 5- Wither IF on COK + Master. Dead. 13th Dreaded again on Blackguard. 15 die.

By this turn I had a Hydra, Supreme Sorceress and COB BSB and 1 Harpy unit left. He had his 2 Warp lightning Canons, 1 5 Man StormVermin, BSB, Grey Seer, Furnace with no Monks left. Haha I got stomped hard. I conclude that against an army like that I need more hammers! 13th Dreaded and Wither was just unstoppable rolling so many 5's. He was over me by about 500 points or so.

There yah go! No Dreadlord, no POK, no Shadow at 2250. We played Meeting Engagment but without the special deployment rules Lol! We forgot and thus the games was like Pitched battle with only 12 in between. We realized turn 3 but said fcuk it let's continue and just play. Haha I think this was my worst beatdown. Failing to stop the 13th Dreaded against an infantry heavy army is just bonkers plus Wither going off all the time ouch!
Last edited by Dangerous Beans on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

OMG grammtical errors abound haha! A lot more happened actually like both my Harpies getting their long charge short by 1, a COK overrun needing just an inch more to clear his charge arc but basically I made the critical error of letting his level 2 and Level 4 do a lot more damage than he normally does. Having a Dark Pegasus rider regardless of whether he has the POK just to dive bomb his Level 4 early on makes a big difference and being just 12" apart forced me to do something about his HPA a lot earlier than I use to (normally I start worrying about it on turn 3 where he comes too close to my units already, here I had to deal with it first turn). Since we were used to playing "tourney" setups, I honestly had a hard time as I was used to having 4 very fast hammer units that he couldn't use Curse of the Horned Rat on and didn't allow him to cast Wither that many times. Overall Skaven magic raped my army and I failed to mitigate his damage with them.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

No worries dude! Do ya want me to cut it out of the OP so you can cut and change things as you wish?
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Nah, it was just a casual test game. I''m just worried bout my english hahaha.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

I shall be going forth to a local tourny on the morrow. I will bring back reports against 3 different foes. I shall share my findings with all then as well as a early peek at what my list is. For now here is a teaser.

The unit of death. All who come to the savage land of Tejas fear the corsairs, for they do not stay near the water fronts oh no. They wander deep inland seeking and searching for prey. Few can stand to their flashing blades. The fellows of the order of fire fear nothing and bring all manner of thing to blade. Fear the corsairs of the order of fire.

As said to me by 2 different local players "you should not be allowed to play the lore of fire", in reference to my scheming and clever uses of the lore.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye

Very intriguing Geist - looking forward to the findings/results: your lore of fire combo has me donning my thinking cap! ;) Happy hunting fellow gentleman!
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Alright, so i have played two gentleman games today, and won both (though the first one doesnt really count tbh. I have played several games with a gentle man stype army before, but these will be the first bat reps.

First, my army: 2400p

Lvl 4 sorceress; PoK (i dont consider it cheesy in a sorceress tbh), Dispell scroll (by house rules i can switch this to darkstar cloak when playing dwarfs), Lore of Death

Hag with COB; banner of swiftness
Master on peg; Cloak of HG, RoH (by houserules i can switch this to dawnstone when playing dwarfs)

43 Warrios; full command, shields, Standard for Discipline (bunkers the sorceress)
10 RXB; shields, musician
5 DRs; RXB, musician
2x5 harpies

24 WE; full command, banner of murder, manbane
14 executioners, champ, musician
5 shades

RBT
Hydra

GAME 1; DE vs Ogres
This was against my brother and it wasnt much of a game tbh. first turn i move up a bit and get purple sun off through one of his ogre units (containing skragg). It kills 3 and they flee and he gives up. Boring ;)

GAME 2; DE vs Dwarfs
Against one of my best fiends. he plays a very standard "all comers" list with heavy magic defense, plenty of warmachines and 3 solid hordes of GW dwarfs (one is hammerers). he deploys in full castle formation.

Turn 1
He gets the first turn and kills my hydra, RBT and a unit of harpies right of the bat. great start :/

I move up with witches in the middle, warriors and executioners on the right flank and RXB, DRs and shades on the left flank. Haries and the master moves up in the middle ready to charge warmachines behind his blocks. No magic to speak of.

Turn 2
He shoots 20 warriors dead with the catapult and puts two wounds on the cauldron with a cannonball. luckily enough his organgun misfires and dies!

I charge the catapult with harpies but cant kill it outright. the master fails his charge by rolling 5 on charge distance and sits nicely in charge range in front of the hammerers :(. the remains of the warriors and the executioners keep moving forward. no real magic or shooting to speak of. some kills on the big blocks but they are still nasty. the witches move up a bit in the center.

Turn 3
His hammerers charge the master and i have to flee. this move opens a small chink in the castle formation. the harpies kill the catapult, and his cannons fail to do anything (trying to shoot cauldron).

I rally the master and charge one of the cannons with the harpies. i do not kill it. The warriors and executioners are placed to they threaten right flank warrior unit with a combined flank/front charge. I get soulblight off and kill a few more warriors, but they are all still over 30 in each of his units.

Turn 4
He moves up with hammerers and left flank warriors to get close to the witches. He reforms his right flank warriors so that both warriors and executioners are now in the front zone. harpies kill the cannon (only one left now)

I wanted to charge his warriors (with the runesmith), but the hammerers were in the way. in a moment of despair and brilliance i instead charge in my master in the flank of his right wing warriors (in to the chink i was talking about before). the harpies charge the last cannon. the witches sort of have to charge the hammerers, and i bless them with KB. the hag lands two killing blows on his BSB and kills him! i kill around 10 hammerers and lose around 15 witches in return, but thanks to COB they are stubborn and hold. the master wins his combat, but they hold (duh). i move the DRs right in front of his left flank warriors, redirecting them out towards the table edge and away from the fun. by now they are down to around 25 warriors from the combined shooting of DRs, shades and RXBs. my warriors move up to threaten the front of his warriors (the ones with the master), while the executioners threaten the flank. he does a combat reform so that the master is in the back, the executioners in the front and the (~15) warriors (miscast and catapult :() are in the flank.

Turn 5
His left flank warriors charge the DRs, kills them and wont do anything else this fight. Hammerers finish off the witches and reforms to help the right flank (they wont make it in time though). the harpies kill the last cannon. all 5 harpies still remain! :D

I do a combo charge with executioners (cauldron buffed) in the front, warriors in one flank and harpies in the other flank on his right flank warriors. I get off the buffed soulblight with IF and blow some more warriors up. I keep shooting at the left flank warriors but it is clear that they will survive. In the important right-flank fight i kill around 6 dwarfs with master, my warriors and harpies. the 14 executioners swing with their 21 attacks at the same time as the dwarfs and kills 17(!) of them. i lose around 10 models in return, but i win the combat massively and catch him with the harpies.

Turn 6
He tries to charge my warriors (flee) and redirect on the executioners (flee) with the hammerers.

I rally the fleeing units and shoot a bit more on his left flank. they are down to around 15 models, but wont grant any VPs.

After calculations i have 1250 VPs against his 950, so it is a victory for the druchii. we all agree that dwarfs are incredibly boring to play with and against, and wish for a new army book asap... like that will help :P

Overall, it is bloody hard to get anything done in the magic phase without the dagger against dwarfs. It is hard to break the castle, but easy access to flying units really help. once the WMs are dead, you just have to kite the dwarfs and shoot them. My shooting was a bit underwhelming, but it does whittle away the dwarfs. neither of his remaining units were really deathstarts anymore at the end. my army was in tatters too, but i had only really lost the witches, hydra and RBT (and hapries and DRs, but they are supposed to give their lives for Khaine!). One of those juicy 40 units of dwarf warriors coupled with the WMs was enough to get me the win.

You can really notice the huge difference when the castle starts to crumble. on turn 1 it feels like it is totally invincible, but the small gap between his warriors and hammerers on the right flank was all i needed to isolate a unit and kill it. the 17 kills from the executioners were a bit lucky, but it is not THAT much more than you can expect. you have a 89% chance to hit with hate, and you wound on 2+ with no save. executioners may strike last, but if you can either hit the flank of a unit (no support attacks) or the enemy has ASL too, then they WILL kill stuff in droves, even in this small a unit. a horde is insane, but i do not like deathstars, so i wont play it.

This was one of the few times i actually used the cauldron, and i am not entirely sure yet. it is nice indeed, but it does cost me 240 points. thats a whole other unit i could have. ill keep using it a while and see.

well well. thats all for now. cya!
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

So things did not go as to plan. Ah well I was overdue and I expect such things time to time.

Game the first empire lost to. Bad dice bad rolls. No need to get too deep into his list, expect he did have a 25 man unit of empire inner circle knights. It was the misson with random rolls for where your units go. So main problem was I was not in position to take out his knights. Which was the lions share.

Game the second, played against skaven, breaking point. Due to confusion and me just being out of it, I made a bad challenge and got my bsb toasted and a win became a draw.

Game the third und last. VC story made vc players use old book due to shortage of books for sale and no one having had enough time to read them. That and its a standing rule that any book that comes out 30days before. Wont be allowed to play that tourny for reasons already stated. A simple plan done poorly and once again another loss.

I can and will take full honesty with the admittance of poor play and dice rolling not as needed when needed. Theses losses just make me more sage for when, I head off to LoneWolf.

Now as promised a peek of my list.

I present to you the order of the flame the seekers of the flame.
37 corsairs with frenzy banner full command.
hag bsb with asf banner, manbane and d3+ attacks
Hashishin with manebane and rune of kane plus hand weapon
lord with exe axe, blood armour, dragon bane gem cloak
lvl4 lore of fire, sword of anti heros, icon, scroll and reverse ward.

That is the unit that all fear. Sadly when played in poor ways it is not overly feared. I WILL do better. I will crush all who oppose me. Such is my will.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Lord Tsunami wrote:Lvl 4 sorceress; PoK (i dont consider it cheesy in a sorceress tbh)

I agree entirely. I sometimes think that the item was made with sorceresses in mind, but they messed up and forgot to add that restriction.

Congrats on the wins :D

I know what you mean about the uber spell destroying a game. I've had a couple of 'lucky' breaks recently with my magic, including turning first Grimgor in one game and then an Ogre BSB of doom in another into gold with Final Transmutation (not even a spell that is usually viewed as that overpowered...). It kinda ruined the games a bit, because with over 300 points nuked in a single (both times pivotal) moment, my opponent's armies were immediately pushed past breaking point and easy to wipe off the board.

And yes, dwarves are dull to both play with and against at the moment. I do hope they figure out how to rectify that in their next book (which, if they continue their current unhelpful method of choosing new army books to produce, I assume will be out in about 2015 after they've re-released Dark Elves, High Elves, Skaven and Beastmen).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

@Geist
afaik, the death hag cant join the same unit as the general, since she is khanite.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Incorrect Tsu, none khanite characters can not join khanite units. The other way around works. Please reread your dark elf army book.

Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

oh, great then :D
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

So, two more battles played this week. this time against Bretonnians and Dwarfs (the same one).

My army was the same, except that i am back to using dark magic. i just feel so much more comfortable with it... Also, i ran the sorceress solo, to prevent her from blowing up stuff. That means i lose the Ld 10 bubble, but i dont really miss it too bad. ) is enough, and this way i can position her better to include more units if i wish.

Lvl 4 sorceress; PoK, Dispell scroll (by house rules i can switch this to darkstar cloak when playing dwarfs), Dark Magic

Hag with COB; banner of swiftness
Master on peg; Cloak of HG, RoH (by houserules i can switch this to dawnstone when playing dwarfs)

43 Warrios; full command, shields, Standard for Discipline (Might switch this to flaming banner)
5 DRs; RXB, musician
2x5 harpies

24 WE; full command, banner of murder, manbane
14 executioners, champ, musician
5 shades

RBT
Hydra

Game 1: DE vs Bretonnians
He plays a list like this:

Lord (combat, with Knights of the R)
Lvl 4 sorceress (life, with knights of the R)
BSB (with other knights of the R)
lvl 1 (beast with men at arms to give them blessing)

2 units of ~9 Knights of the R
3 units of 10 archers
40 men at arms with halberds (horde)

5 mounted squires

9 Grail knights
2 trebuchets

He deploys knight in the center, men at arms on the left, archers on both flanks, squires on the left and one treb on each side (protected by archers).

I deploy (from left to right) Herpes, (shades mid field to the left side) archers, archers, warriors(center), witches (CoB behind), executioners, hydra, flying master, Herpes, DRs.

I start by moving DRs close to his archers on the right. i shoot down 1. left harpies move half way up the field and lands in a ruin. right harpies land on a hill ready to charge his right treb next turn. Hydra move forward and the master stands in front of the hydra, also ready to charge the right treb. executioners and witches move up a bit behind. warriors go forth max distance, sorceress leaves them on the left side. Shades stand in a fungal forest and become stupid. No fancy shooting or magic.

He charges the shades with his mounted squires. he moves up with the men at arms towards the center. he combo charges the warrior bus with knights of the R and grail knights, but grail knights fail. he charges the master with other KotR and i chose to stand. He shoots both trebs on the witches killing about 12 (blessed with 5+ ward). he shoots down one dark rider. i manage to lock down the magic phase with the scroll. his knights defeat the warriors, but they stand fast. he drives off my master with the right KotR and pursues (and catches him, gah!) in to the executioners, and even manages to clip them thanks to the silly herpes. he wins again, but executioners are stubborn thanks to CoB. His squires kill 2 shades, and i kill 2 in return. he still wins but i stand fast.

I now flank charge the left KotR with a unit of archers on the left, the sorceress (cause she was in the way) and the witches on the right. i flank his other knights with the hydra. i charge the archers on the right with DRs, and the right treb with herpes. I cast soulstealer hitting the men at arms, taking the sorceress to 6 wounds. the resulting misscast kills 2 knights and nothing of mine :D. The shades kill the squires, and this causes the nearby men at arms to panic and run away. i bless the witches with killing blow, and they together with the other units kill all knights and the lvl 4 leaving the general alone. he flees through the grail knights and the witches pursue in to them and kills them too (3 remains and they flee). The hydra breaths and kills the whole other knight unit. the field is mine and we decide to call it off.

Game 2: DE vs Dwarfs
Same old thing here. He has switched a cannon fro another organ gun, but i still manage to get one unit of harpies in to his warmachines. same with my master (though he failed his first charge). his catapult misfired and rolled a 2. he decided to reroll (since there is only a 1 in 6 chance to get a worse result) and rolls a 1. up your's statistics :P. he has decimated both the executioners and witches to about half size and i have to retreat from his hammerers. he turned one warrior horde around and dispatched the master (after he killed the organ gun though). my right flank of a dead hydra, half dead executioners and half dead witches has to fall back, but i manage to get black horror off on his left warrior horde killing 16. i then shoot down another 10 or so and finish the job with my warrior bus. unfortunately he charged out his BSB to attack my solo sorceress (i made a bad mistake there) and chased her down :(. In the end i win by 150 points by killing all WMs and a warrior unit while losing hydra, one unit of harpies, my general(omg) and my master, shades and DRs. A pretty fun game, but it was very similar to who it always goes. But again, a win is a win.

I am still undefeated this year (with druchii, i lost once with LMs) as a true gentleman :D

What i learned this week was that the cauldron is probably here to stay, though ill probably drop the banner on it. it doesnt have any trouble keeping up anyway. Witches are just as nasty as executioners proved to be last week. i really like the manbane hag, cause she hits like a truck. with KB, not even enemy lords can feel safe against her :) Dark magic felt much better than death. i know i mainly used it before because of the synergy with the dagger, but it feels like it has everything (except flaming, and that hasnt been a problem so far). the sorcerss miscasts much more now without the dagger, because i can no longer cast all five spells each turn and get 5 free dice. it is pretty much using 6 dice for whatever spell i feel is most critical, and use any excess dice on less important stuff. in any case, she will probably stay on her own from now on. she is usually responsible for killing more warriors nowadays by miscasts than she ever did before with the dagger. i am not afraid of warmachines due to the pendant and i always own the enemy fast units before they can threaten her. a normal fireball could be a problem, so i might have to take that in to account, but in my gaming group no one is really favoring those spells much. anyway, soulstealer really helps in keeping her alive :)

cya again next week maybe :P
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Ok, so only one game played this week. this thread seems sort of dead. are none of you other guys actually sticking to the guns? :D anyway, on to the battle.

GAME 1 (and only) Dark Elves vs Goblins
My army was the exact same as used last week (see earlier post)

My opponent plays a wacky all goblin army that looks something like this:

Goblin warboss
Goblin warboss
Lvl 4 NG shaman

Goblin BSB
Lvl 2 NG shaman

50 Common goblins (3 nasty skulkers) - 2 warbosses in here
50 NGs (3 fanatics) - BSB in here
20 NG archers (2 fanatics)
20 NG archers (2 fanatics)
10 Wolfriders (fully kitted)
10 Wolfriders (fully kitted)

Squig herd (15 squigs + 10 gobbos)
Squig herd (15 squigs + 10 gobbos)
2 wolf chariots

Pump wagon (well equipped)
2 Mangler squigs

This army isnt very optimized but it is kinda wacky and fun. here is what happened in general terms.

I quickly triggered all fanatics by turn one and only lost the harpies and shades for taking down the manglers. the fanatics never got close to any of my units. he moved forward with his main blocks towards my center. my DRs were killed by the pump wagon on my right flank, but the hydra came to the rescue dispatching both enemy units. I got off both black horror and soul stealer on his block of 50 gobbos and reduced it by a lot. i managed to shoot down a chariot and panic the other unit of wolfs. my master dispatched his left flank archers. one of his squig herds failed an animosity check and was placed behind the other. at the pivotal moment in the battle i charged his squigs with (cauldron buffed) witches and wrecked both units by overrunning in to the second. he in turn charged his ~15 gobbos (with characters) and his 50NGs in to the front of my spear bus. revealing the nasty skulkers forced the spearmen to allocate all attacks individually to either the lords or the skulkers. combined with the nets from the NGs i did like 1 wound and lost around 10 elves in return. no steadfast and i ran and was caught. his remaining chariot charged the executioners. he killed a handful but was destroyed in return. my witches was way out of position and wouldnt get to do anything more for the rest of the battle. i flank charged the NG bus with the remenants of the executioners and managed to keep them busy for the rest of the battles (thank god for WS5 vs WS2). I kept focusing all shooting and magic on his gobbo bus with the characters. in the final turn he charged the COB with the gobbos and killed it, but i managed to shoot the last remenants down with arrows and magic. my master mopped up the rest of the archers.

in the end i lost the warriors, executionrs, shades, harpies and DRs and the CoB, but he only had his NG bus standing. a very solid victory right in time for dinner :D

I really enjoy this army tbh. the witches/executioners coupled with CoB are just so immensely powerful, and i love how i always control the battle thanks to my superiority in the movement phase. the magic phase is not as strong as it could be, but it is still strong enough, same with the shooting. thanks to the movement superiority i rarely lose any shooting units except the DRs and shades, so i can keep shooting for the full 6 turns. it is really noticeable in turn 5 and 6 when the remaining units are often small and vulnerable to 40 shots from the RXB. naturally this time my opponent doesnt play a high end competitive army, and he had some trouble with panic checks, but i think it was a very fun game. his unit of gobbos with nasty skulkers and 2 lords is surprisingly tough. i was lucky that i got away with sacrificing my bus and nothing else to kill it. a few weeks ago i saw him beating my brothers ogre army to pieces with that unit. the fact that you cant kill the actual unit because the front rank is packed with characters is very annoying, and suprisingly effective, and the sheer amount of fanatics and manglers is very intimidating. i was fortunate to trigger them all on turn one and thus escaped except with some unlucky harpies and shades.

so, thats it for this week for me. hope some other guys are having some fun battles too. maybe you want to share? :)
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye

Nice reports Tsunami - love the new profile icon too: very suave! :D I had another death of a thousand cuts game (which is gentleman friendly) against a lizardmen skink mist list and death slann with bane head (naaaaasty). I'll write it up shortly!
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

So, the unthinkable has happened! I am no longer undefeated with dark elves this year! :shock:

This week (last week that is) i played 3 games in total, and i actually lost one. I won vs Dwarfs and Bretonnians but i lost by about 500 VPs to my brothers ogres… Needless to say he has been very keen to remind me of this… Details to follow. My armylist was the same as before.

GAME 1: Dark elves VS Dwarfs

This was not a very fun game tbh, and I won mainly due to our poorly placed terrain. We had a big pile of stone in the centre (impassible) and that forced my opponent to deploy all on one side. Since his army is tiny he had to deploy all of it before I put down any real units, and I could easily focus all the attention on one unit at a time, starting from the centre of the board. Two hits with black horror took care of one horde of warriors (who had to retreat) and a S5 breath attack from the flank killed half of the hammerer unit. This was the first time I have ever managed to kill all the hammerers in combat (hydra in rear, executioners in flank and RXB(!) in the front). He had one warrior unit left standing at the end, and I had lost some fast units, and a unit of RXB (the ones who brought down the hammerers got flanked by said warrior horde :P). Not much fun (ok, a little fun :D) or excitement.

GAME 2: Dark elves VS Bretonnians

This one was much more fun and exciting, though I didn’t take notes, so I cant remember the details. My opponent deployed roughly as follows (from my left to my right).

Men at arms horde (with lvl 1), 2x skirmish archers and trebuchet, KoTR (with bsb), Trebuchet, KoTR (with combat lord and lvl 4), Grail knights, Skirmish archers, mounted yeowmen.

I deployed something like this (again, from my left to my right)
DRs, Shades, RXB, RXB, Harpies, Flying master, Witches, CoB, Warrior bus, RBT, sorceress(in woods), Executioners, hydra, harpies.

I start out clever by moving up with my sorceress to cast black horror on his knights. I am not too afraid of shooting due to the pendant and poor BS of his archers. However, I neglect to remember that his grail knights can actually charge pretty far… He charges, I “cleverly” elect to hold (2+ save from the pendant you know) he does no wounds, but still win by 4… she flees, and he catches her and charges in to the executioners behind (who hold due to stubborn from the cauldron). Brilliant :P

On the left flank I move up with DRs and shades and start causing havoc among his archers. I think one unit panics and causes panic checks on other units while fleeing through them. Nothing flees off the board, but his left flank is in disarray. On the right I am more passive (first round). I also move up with the archers and start shooting at the men at arms. If I can whittle it down to around 30, the witches will have no trouble in dispatching the rest.

Turn 2 I am in crisis mode. I have lost my general and only mage due to a “clever” move, but he has exposed his grail knights. I flank charge with hydra and the warrior bus and quickly dispatch them. Only like 4 executioners remain, but we are on more equal footing. He flees and I pursue (out to the right) with hydra and executioners, but I reform with the warriors bus to receive the KoTR. On the left flank I keep causing trouble for his archers and trebuchet (they do NOT like panic tests :P). He moves up with his Men at arms, and slowly moves up with his knights. My master has charged his left trebuchet and kills it, and then elects to reform to face the knights flank. I manage to contain his magic phase by letting throne of vines go through but dispelling flesh to stone with all the dice I had. Phew…

In turn 3 (well, I think) I charged the left KoTR with my master to stall them. I dispatch the remaining “rabble” with shades and DRs and his shooting was neutralized and only about 5-10 witches were lost (bad scattering). His men at arms are looking less formidable, and I will have at least one more round of shooting at them. The master keeps the knights in place, but then flees in his round, and he charges the witches with KoTR. KB blessing helps me and I cause 13 wounds and 3 KBs… ONE knight dies. Witches stand fast, but are heavily diminished. On the right flank he fights the hydra with his KoTR, and somehow (I honestly cant remember) I manage to lose the hydra but I have my warrior bus in the rear of the knights. They stay one round (the knights) but then flee towards my table edge. They manage to kill the final executioner too before they leave (bah, who cares). His winds of magic remain weak for the rest of the battle (thank god) and he only manages to get off flesh to stone (and one regrowth, healing one knight) Oh, and my executioners managed to KB his general to death before they were killed. That was nice of them :D
In the remainder of the game, I manage to send off his men at arms by panic, but they rally before the end. His left KotR finishes off the witches and after being reduced to only the champion and BSB charges one unit of RXB, who stand though. On the right side I manage to chase off and catch the knights with my warrior bus thanks to KB (and finally some more humane ward save rolls from my opponent :P) It was exciting till the very last turn, but thanks to me chasing off the knights and catching them, in addition to managing to kill the last knight of the left KotR unit (giving me full VPs for it) turned it in to a massacre in my favour.

GAME 3: Dark elves VS Ogres
Ok, so this one sucked :D It was a fair win, but I did hang on to the very end, and I could have managed a draw at the very least, and a win if I had been really lucky. I made a few real blunders and my brother did none. However, the dice gods were so massively against me that it was laughable. But as I said it was a fair win.

Instead of a step by step battle report I will tell you some “highlights”. I started off just like against bretonnians and lost my sorceress on turn one due to stupidity. Note to self: pendant does NOT make her immortal… I botched my magic phase by rolling a 3 and she was then killed by a magic missile (cant remember the name, 2d6 S2 hits) and a unit of led bealchers. Stupid stupid me… I was way too greedy.

Another highlight was me getting my harpies march blocked, so they could not reach to redirect the mournfangs away from the witch elves. My the skin of my teeth I managed to pull my master from way off and get him in the way of them by half an inch. Then in the shooting phase I proceeded to shoot at the mournfangs killing one. Guess wich one he removed? The blocked one ofc. The mournfangs happily charged the witches leaving my master behind in a cloud of dust. The retribution was that witches are NASTY even if they cant use KB against ogres. I did 7 wounds, killing 2 MFs before they got to strike. Still I lost combat, and without frenzy it took them a good while to finish off the remaining champion.

Another fun part was me charging the hydra and warriors in to 7 bulls with a BSB. The warriors needed a 4 to reach (we have houseruled charge distances for infantry, so that you roll 2 dice and pick the highest rather than both. I can very much recommend this as it allows for much more maneuvering) anyway, they rolled a double 1, and failed to reach. Also they with the tiny wheel managed to expose the flank to another unit of bulls (with skragg…). The hydra then proceeded to cause a mighty 2 wounds (double 1s on the breath attack. Yay), and lost by 1. Naturally it fled, got caught and he overran in to the executioners behind, who (naturally) died to a man.

Luckily the warriors faied charge was so short that they were protected by a house on their left, forcing skragg and his bulls to “clip” them, and they stood their ground for several rounds (we have houseruled that a unit that is “disrupted” will halve its Ld for steadfast, so this was hard to manage, even with a nearby BSB). When the warriors eventually fled, they manage to get out of the sight arc of the other bull unit, while skragg got trapped by said unit. They managed to survive with half their number remaining, and without them it would really have been a massacre.

In the final round I managed to shoot one of his cannons down to 1 wound (booo) and I charged the other one with my master, knocking it down to 1 wound as well. Unfortunately my master lost the following round by 1 and promptly fled. Had I killed those cannons, and/or not lost my master I could have managed a draw.

On my left flank, a unit of 10 gnoblars managed to hold my DRs in combat for 4 rounds. Who said you needed a general? Ld 5 works just fine :/

On my right flank, a single sabretusk managed to keep 10 archers busy for 3 rounds by moving around them, and they failing their Ld tests for swift reform. Sigh. I got it in the end though.

The final thing that happened was skragg casting “the maw” on my remaining warriors, but it scattered on top of his ogres, killing 2 and causing a panic check. I felt a glimmer of hope, but it was not to be. They passed.

Overall, it was a fun game, but I really have to be more careful with mu sorceress. Having no presence in the magic phase is a huge handicap, not to mention the lack of dispelling. Ill get him next time :P

Also, I will try to change the executioners for BG. I know it is a bit boring, and 14 BG might not seem to great, but those executioners have preformed miracles (14 executioners killing 17 dwarfs in one round, lol) and BG are simply better in smaller numbers. I do not want to diminish the witches, and I cant afford a big unit of executioners, so I went with a small one (14), but the ASL is simply too much of a gimp in most cases. I will try BG instead. They are so great all-round, it cant be bad ^^

That’s all for me. Cya next week, perhaps.