Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am



Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Group 42 - Chapter 1: The Prisoner 
Author Message
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8534
Location: Hag Graef
The greed on Caraoc's book had turned to mere curiosity. Much better.
"Now that I have started reading that book, I wish to finish it.
Once my curiosity will be satisfied, I could share it with friends.
Or, if I value it less than the future loot it would prevent me to carry, I may even reverse it to the common booty. I would let you know beforehand, Incaneth."


He eyed the map that Harkyl had just left.
"Now with this map, is there a decision to take? Are we starting a treasure hunt?"

_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.+ Book (On the boundary between life and death)
Skills: Power of Azyr (2), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
Searinox smiled, "Good point about the Courage potion, but if your having a hard time finding a replacement for the crows nest I wouldn't mind taking up the post for a while. I can think up of more fun things to do with the courage potion, like feeding it to one of the slaves and sending him up against impossible odds," He started laughing "Or prehaps selling it back in Naggaroth to some noble that needs to grow a spine for a duel, I'm sure there are enough who need it." Picking up the Strength potion he pondered a bit. "This one I'll be sure to keep tho, having a bit of extra musle at hand for defeating a tough foe is never a bad thing."

Putting the two bottles back in his pouch he let out a slightly playful grin as he boisterlesly put his hands at his side, puffed his chest out proudly for all the crew to see and said "And I don't need any help in that dear comrade, I am impressive enough as it is!"

offering his services to replace Iscar in the crows nest should he need a break
then continue talking and trying to bond with the crew with some mild humor

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 586
In the captain's cabin, the argument cooled down slightly.

“Fair enough, Caraoc,” agreed Incaneth, “I can wait until you finish the book. I would probably not enjoy reading that much anyway, given my current shape.”

The second question of the scald was answered by the captain himself. “No, we won't go treasure hunting but there's still a decision. Let's gather on the board, I want to discuss this with everyone.”

Above, on the ship's deck, several corsairs laughed as Searinox presented his hearthbreaker skills. Iscar made an impressed grimace and Analya, who was passing by close enough, sent him an amused look.

“It's hard to admit but I have to say he's right,” commented she. “I almost faint whenever I see him.”

Before anyone could have replied, though, the captain emerged on the board, followed by a suite of several other elves. “I want everyone gather here,” he barked. “There's something we must decide.”

***

It was not clear what Kireth Snakeskin wanted to discuss; the corsairs seemed quite curious as this demand was quite a surprise for them. On the other hand, many of the mercenaries did not seem to pay that much attention: Kirvaleth and Kruz were just leaning comfortably on a barrel, seemingly willing to go anywhere the captain would point and not caring about the talking leading there; Dolan had already given up the effort to follow the discussion as he knew he was doomed to fail anyway; Paithan was listening sagely but was keeping a distance from the speakers; only Analya seemed to be prepared to step in but even she was silent at the moment.

“So, first I want to say that if anyone thinks we are going to chase some strange artefacts with the map our new mercenary gave us he is wrong. All the marked places are too far from the sea,” begun the captain, deeming any introduction unnecessary. This caused some excited shouts but Kireth dismissed them with a sharp wave of hand and continued:

“There is another good opportunity for us, however. In exchange for the life of his wife and children, one slave told me about a tax collector that is on the road nearby. We could track him down in two or three days. I don't need to explain how much gold will be there.” The image of such a wealth did by no means soften his usual stern and grumpy expression.

“But I don't need to explain it will be guarded,” he followed. “We can expect a good number of swordsmen or halberdiers, some knights, some archers, maybe even a wizard. This fight would be the hardest one for years and I don't want to risk everything against your will. So, should we do this?”

He felt silent and looked over the crew. The first answer came right away.

“Of course we should!” shouted the strong, sleeveless corsair that took over command in the village after Incaneth fell. “We raid longer than they live. They expect robbers or maybe beasts but not us. We will overpower them before they blink. And then we will finally be rich. I'm sick of the sea to be honest.”

“I concur, though I fear I would be unable to help much.” This voice, softer but equally determined, belonged to Incaneth. “We have been raiding for too long already. It should finally end; one way or the other.”

“You are all mad,” cut in Iscar, looking quite surprised. “What would you do with all this money? You would get bored in a week. Don't you remember how it ended the last time? Living on the shore is not for us. I don't see why we should risk our lives for it. We have everything we need on the sea. We are not even sure we can win.”

“We indeed got used to the sea but that does not mean we have everything here,” replied Incaneth with a hint of sadness. “You are right though that we cannot judge our strength well.” He turned to the cluster of mercenaries nearby. “We have seen you in battle but do not know how much more can you show. You should probably speak up now.”

The first officer's eyes first stopped on Dolan who shrugged. “I go where the captain says. You know me – the most cunning strategist this part of the world. I'd say squishing some humans can't be that hard,” he smacked playfully Paithan's shoulder, “what do you think, my smarter buddy?”

The khainite laughed darkly: “Well, it seems I get injured in any scrap I get into so against this tax collector it shouldn't be much worse.” With a voice more serious but equally sour, he added: “I would welcome a fight against a worthy foe, though. There is no honour in enslaving some weak villagers.”

Kruz and Kirvaleth, the next in line, looked on each other for a brief moment. “We don't like it,” said Kirvaleth then. “Why risk so much? A few villages like the last one and we will get rich, too. We have time.” He shrugged. “But if you decide to attack, we can do our job.”

Then, the ship fell in brief silence, disturbed only by the waves breaking on the ship's hull. Analya was observing the remaining mercenaries that had not answered yet, waiting for their opinion, and so were the corsairs. The nice morning was changing into a beautiful day, full of sun and cooled down by a light breeze; but on the ship, the sun rays looked like spears and the swashing of water sounded like a distant battle.

A big discussion: should we attack the tax collector?


For the consistently good posts Calisson writes and for the inquisitiveness his character displays, Caraoc the scald is granted the skill Power of Ghur (1). He is still a novice and his first attempts might not have the maximum result but he can attempt to cast beast magic spells with sufficient reliability.
For the nice posts showing the corsairing background and for his efforts in scouting, Searinox is granted the skill Basic Stealth.
[More on this in the OOC thread.]

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:37 am
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
Shrugging Searinox pointed his thumb towards Iscar "I agree with Iscar, attacking a tax collector which most likely will be heavily protected sounds like madness. And to be honest though the rewards might be great, I did not sign up for this voyage for your 'final plunder' so you can end you life at sea 'one way or the other'." He did not like the idea for one bit and did not make an effort to hide it. Yet he didn't have much choice in the end, if the captain decided to go for this 'final reward' he had no other choice but to go along. at the very least he wasn't planning on roaming enemy territory hoping to walk into something friendly like Harkyl had done.

He lowered his head slightly and sighed "But if you really are going to do it.., He looked at Iscar and then faced the captain. "We should know what we are up against. I am a good scout and used to gathering information unnoticed. So if you want to find out what we are actually attacking or set up a good ambush or diversion for them I can be of good assistance with that."

Sharing some additional skills of his

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 586
The captain grimaced after he had heard Searinox's reply. “Don’t take Incaneth too seriously, he was hit in the head harder than he thinks.” His never brightening grumpy face made it hard to say if this was meant as a friendly banter or a direct insult. “I wouldn't talk about this if I didn't think we had a good chance. It's by no means mad or desperate. It's just risky.”

Kireth clarifying things.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8534
Location: Hag Graef
Captain mustered the whole crew on deck.
The treasure map was no longer to be discussed. The issue at stakes was about a tax collector.
Clearly, the outcome was disputed, some had their eyes shining with lust, while others were already tired of the raid.
Caraoc had no strong feeling towards either alternative.
Of course, a long journey would allow him to absorb more about the Power of Ghur, teached from his new book.
On the other hand, where better than in a wood could he experiment this odd way of using the magic winds?

Listening to Searinox wise comment, the pilot gave his opinion.
"It is great to know the presence of gold defended by Humans rather than walls. Anath Raema seems to want to treat us.
But we don't know how much gold, how many Humans.
In the openness, we have an advantage. But we don't know the country and have to investigate first.
Searinox made a great proposal. We should scout and get more information, about the escort, and about the country.
Let's take advice from Drakira rather than Ellinill, let's be patient and subtle rather than frenzied and hot-tempered.
Captain's decision can be postponed until we know better."

The Master of the Weather knew how good were the chances that a heavy rain or a dense fog would tilt the odds in their favour, as usual.

Suggesting to go and investigate, but leaving open the decision to renounce after scouting.

_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.+ Book (On the boundary between life and death)
Skills: Power of Azyr (2) Power of Ghur (1), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:41 pm
Profile
Noble

Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 pm
Posts: 470
Location: Somewhere secret somewhere safe
Harkyl grimaced internally. The brief acquaintance he had made with the scald’s tomb had awoken a greedy thirst in his heart. On some deep and debased level he craved a power greater and more ephemeral than money could buy. Curse this tax collector! He wanted one of those tombs as his own. He would have one of those tombs as his own... But now wasn’t the time to push his hand, now was the time for politics. Harkyl spoke up, I am not one to risk my life lightly, but as a part of this crew will be glad to be a part of whichever path we pursue. I have spent the past few days in the surrounding lands and know its geography well. I am also skilled at evasion and as a scout. I too would like to join the advance party of whatever course we take.

Signals his willingness to go after the tax collector (or not) as the crew/captain decide. Makes clear that he is a skilled scout and would like to join with whoever else scouts on the next raid.

_________________
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting


Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:43 pm
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
As the argument over Caraocs book was finally settled, the captain called the crew to attention on the deck. When he revealed that they would not be hunting for artifacts, Ladry was not surprised - although she did feel a slight pang of regret. There was no telling what these items could do, or if they even existed, but the thought of a fiery arcanum had appealed very much to her.

"A tax collector is every raiders dream, to be sure." she started out, after hearing all the other arguments. It seemed as if most mercenaries were reluctant, whereas most corsairs were eager to pursue this plan. "I'm going with my mercenary friends here. No definite decision until we know what we are up against. Maybe he is at the head of a full inner circle, maybe he is protected by just a rabble of footmen and a few knights. It bears investigation. Scout the countryside, track the tax collector, gain information about his retinue. Then, only then, do we decide whether or not to strike. "

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 am
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 586
Kireth Snakeskin frowned slightly and met the mercenaries with a direct and sharp look.

“We are going to scout, no worry. This decision will not be final,” he explained. “However, it's unlikely we'd meet something we really don't expect. If we really find out they are a bunch of weaklings then the decision will be easy but I'm quite sure they're something between. It would be better of course to speak about the attack when we know more but there won't be that much time for this I fear. If you feel the question is too unclear this way I'd understand but I hoped to hear a general view at least.”


Kireth is insisting on your answers - see the OOC thread. :)

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:24 pm
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
'Harder then he thinks or not. The comment was made and several of the other sailors agreed.' Searinox listened to the other mercanaries, they seemed to agree with his point so far. The captain in return tried to ease the mercenaries into agreeing with atleast the scouting party so they will know what they are actually up against. He had set his sights on the tax collector and was going after it.

"Well.., I guess we better prepare the hunting party then." he said with a faint smile on his face.

conversing

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 pm
Profile
Noble

Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 pm
Posts: 470
Location: Somewhere secret somewhere safe
Well it seems the captain is set on the tax collector, and with the crew and at least one mercenary on board it seems inevitable..

Harkyl spoke up By one course or another we all came here to raid! I will gladly wet my blade in the tax man's gut and hope more coins spill out then entrails! I request to be among the advance party, and as a full participant and member of the crew, expect full share as is custom.

"votes" to investigate / go after the tax collector

_________________
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting


Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:24 pm
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
Ladry nodded at Kireth. "The flames hunger for human flesh! Let us be off, by all means!"

Agreeing to go ahead with the advance.

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 am
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8534
Location: Hag Graef
The pilot concurred.
"Let's not lose time.
The more we wait, the older our intelligence, the less time we have to adjust.
We need actions for my songs to describe."


Agreeing to go.
_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.+ Book (On the boundary between life and death)
Skills: Power of Azyr (2) Power of Ghur (1), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 586
After the clarification, the mercenaries who originally had advised caution expressed their consent. There was only one elf left now.

“Well, there is this sort of people who sail the sea and avoid any danger,”
said Analya in a light tone. “I think they are called fishermen.”

The captain pierced her with a long stare. Then, without answering, he turned back to the crew.

“Then we are settled,” he concluded the discussion. “So what's next: first, we need to spy on the tax collector. Searinox, I want you to lead a group there. Iscar is staying on the ship so he's fresh and ready right before the battle but I'll send Hendor with you. He has surprisingly good eyes. Take this new chap, too,” he pointed at Harkyl, “let's see if he knows this land as well as he claims. And our pyromancer should probably go with you as well, because no one else can say if there're some wizards or stuff. That's quite a lot of elves for a sneaky group but I'm sure you'll manage somehow.”

Without waiting for answers, he turned to the remaining mercenaries: “Besides this, we need to find a place for ambush. They'll probably fortify their camp each night so a dawn attack would be difficult. Galder, you'll go,” he looked at the strong sleeveless corsair. “Take our princess with you and the two mysterious brothers, too.”

The stocky corsair grimaced but did not protest.

“Bard,” Kireth then turned to Caraoc, “I'm not sure where you would be most useful – any ideas?”

And then, after settling everything needed, the captain had one more thing to say.

“And now, finally, something more pleasant. You noticed we have some pigs on board we have no room for. Tonight, there will be a feast. We deserve it.”

***

The evening was as nice as the whole day. The sky was almost clear with only a few clouds passing it, the air was remaining warm yet fresh and waves were only gently kissing the ship's hull.
The day had been spent with preparations for the feast: the pigs were killed and skinned, their entrails put apart, the meat carved. Now the smell of roasting flesh was wafting over the board and the first corsairs were receiving their portions of meat.

“So, your unique spice in there, Hendor?” asked a corsair holding a knife with a huge cutlet impaled on it.
“Of course,” assured the cook with a smile. “As always.”
“I don't get how it is possible you still have rations of it,” the corsair wondered. “It's been ages since we had some time on the shore.”
“Well, we all have our secrets, don’t we?” Hendor winked. “You would miss the spice so badly I couldn't bear looking at you.”

The elves were in good mood. Dolan was sitting on a barrel and happily eating up large chunks of meat; Iscar was licking his fingers on his favourite spot on the ship's bow; a few corsairs were just opening a barrel of mead; even Kireth, leaning on the railing and chewing his portion, seemed less peevish than usual.

“Just a small bit for me, please,” asked Incaneth. “I still don't feel too well.”
“Nonsense!” shouted Hendor. “You need strength. You receive a dinner for a real man.” Saying this he handed over a portion that could have sated two elves easily. The first officer eyed it with raised eyebrows; then he turned to a group of corsairs about to play dice.
“Whoever wins this gets half my dinner as the prize,” he proclaimed.
“Yes! The battle for cutlet!” shouted one of the crew. They laughed and prepared the game with overplayed eagerness.

***

Then, after a night of feasting and two days of sailing, the tax collector's suite was finally found and the designated groups intruded into the inland forests again. The weather had worsened since the last raid; now, the sky was grey and a soft drizzle was falling down. Small raindrops were resting on leafs and trying to hide in elven hair.
The entire forest was clad in greyish robes; the trees seemed one like the other and all shapes and colours were merging in a big veil of shadows just a few dozen steps from the person disturbing the nature's mysteries. Birds were calling from the treetops but even then, the land was shrouded in a pressing silence.

There was only one major road in the area and therefore, tracking down the tax collector's convoy proved easy. Soon, the elves were observing it from a slightly elevated spot in the forest; they were safely far away but not close enough to see all details. There were three wagons, with canvas reaching high above them to shelter the load from bad weather. On each side, a group of men was marching, together twenty or maybe one or two more; they were all wearing helmets and chainmail, some were armed with swords and shields, others with halberds; several were carrying crossbows. A handful of mounted men were accompanying the convoy. Three were leading it: two of them were protected by plate armour, one armed with a sword, the other with a hammer; another wore a large hat and a cloak. Guarding the rear, two riders in cloaks were riding, with pistols hanging on their sides. The men were throwing suspicious looks in the forest now and then but mostly they were just staring at the back of their comrade in front of them.

There has been a feast on the ship. You can shortly describe your character during it or ignore it, as you wish.
Then, you (I hope Caraoc joins the other player characters :) ) intruded in the forest and found the tax collector's convoy. You are in a safe distance and so you can't be seen or heard if you don't do something really stupid; however, you can only see as much as described above.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:57 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8534
Location: Hag Graef
Decision was taken to spy and prepare an ambush. Wise decision.
Something remained undecided though: Caraoc's position.
“Bard,” asked Kireth to Caraoc, “I'm not sure where you would be most useful – any ideas?”
The barefoot corsair had little added value as a spy or an ambusher. But he had other uses.
His expertise as a pilot was to find paths and to predict weather.
As a scald, he had a great memory and a talent for relating.
Finally, he had the feeling that his new arcane skills would help him to run faster - or at least he felt the urge to test.
Caraoc replied:
"Sure Cap'n. I run fast and never get lost. Let me follow the scouts, I'll report while they keep within spying distance."

-=-=-

During the evening, the crew feasted on fat pigs, filling their stomachs with energy and their souls with confidence.
At the end of the evening, the corsairs got in a recreation mood and asked the scald for some entertainment.
Caraoc smiled and explained that it would be a song about the near future, appropriately titled "In the Wake of Pigs".
He was sure to get the attention of them all. But the result was not what they had expected.
The scald voice turned hoarse and horrible, words were hard to grab.
Simultaneously, a gust filled the sails, dark clouds covered the stars and soon enough, a squall dropped buckets of rain.
But so fascinating was the song that most corsairs remained and looked at the scald with a mixed gaze, tainted with fear and incredulity.

The song spoke about a victorious battle before coming home. Actually, nothing about pigs, despite the title.
The wacky scald started by commenting the hesitation to go for the battle.
"It makes me sick that it's hard to distinguish
An honest leader who preaches a cause
That's not made, and not based
On the profit they'll receive..."


Then he urged them all to fight recklessly.
"You're not alone
If you can hear this song
Your battle has been won!
...
Follow your pulse to the shallows
Unleash your will to survive
Make every step draw you closer
To be the hero you've always denied"
...


Last, as the wind got stronger and the rain thicker, he explained in his particular style his own role as a pilot, to lead back the party to the safe ship.
"You are not alone, in the eye of the darkest storm
We are the lighthouse shining a lamp from the shore
To bring your journey home
You are not alone, use this song to lead you home
...
You're not alone
If you can hear this song
Your battle has been won!

Spread wide your wings
Let the draft lift you up
You've heard the call of the future flock
You're coming home!"

He mimicked a ghastly bat flying here and there, but at this stage, the rain was falling too densely and the party had to stop.

-=-=-

Two days later, the storm was not completely over yet. Obviously, the skies had be shaken by the scald's song.
The corsairs were shaken too. Nobody dared to talk to Caraoc about his song. This left plenty of time for the Astromancer to progress in the reading of his book.
Now he was more than ready to test some new abilities linked with the Wind of Ghur.

When the raiding party departed, Caraoc went ashore along with the group of scouts.

-=-=-
Following the scouts at close distance, getting ready to liaise with the ambushers after they spotted the target.

OOC: Oh Sleeper - "In The Wake Of Pigs"
Soundtrack karaoked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76BjSbTYcVQ
Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ohsleepe ... fpigs.html
Beware, it makes quite some noise...

_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.+ Book (On the boundary between life and death)
Skills: Power of Azyr (2) Power of Ghur (1), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:25 pm
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
Well then. The scouting party is agreed upon. Vastly less interesting than magical artifacts, but I supposed gold is what we really came here after.
Ladry mused whether the choice of almost all the mercenaries to be the advance party was a deliberate calculation of risk on the captains end. Best not to dwell on it though. She was, however, pleased to be appointed to accompany the others. When Caraoc revealed that he, too, would be joining them, she was quite pleased. "I believe that, in spite of our numbers, the scout party has an excellent setup, and we will certainly be prepared for all eventualities."


That night, a pork feast was held. Fresh meat was a rare sight, especially so on the sea, and everybody was enjoying themselves. During the butchering process, Ladry managed to step in in time before they skinned the beasts. "Stop. With a pyromancer on staff, theres no reason we cant enjoy a little seared pig skin!" She then worked with Hendor to assure the incredibly crispy and flavoursome seared pork skin. The meat was nice and juicy, and Ladry took this oportunity eat her fill. She even sampled some of the corsairs mead, but stayed clear of the dice game. By the time the feast was done, she could've sworn she would never need to eat another bite in her life.


______________

After a few days of sailing, the advance party went ashore after making the proper 'how do we find each other again' arrangements. Tracking the humans was a simple task, and it was not long before the small group was in eyesight of the human caravan. Three carriages, maybe about 20 men, a couple of them with crossbows. Couple of riders with what appears to be blackpowder weapons, a few knights and... Is that a wizard?" Ladry closed her eyes to the visible world, and instead focused her mind on sensing the winds of magic, watching its flow. The human foot soldiers could be easily panicked by a few ambush fireballs and crossbow shots, but the mounted soldiers where a bigger concern... Especially if they have magic support of their own.


Socialising with the crew during the feast. At the scouting party, she will try to sense whether the cloaked man is a wizard, and whether there are any magical items in or closeby to the humans.

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 am
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 586
Ladry, seeing yet unseen, left the mundane world for the others to care about and turned her attention to the winds of magic. They were blowing rather softly but still, just allowing them to touch her mind filled her with warmth, even more pleasant than usual due to the cold rain. Soon, more sensations begun coming to her: the usual dance of Azyr energies around Caraoc and the silent presence of his horn that resembled a wild beast lazily sunbathing in a hot afternoon. Then she spotted something new as well: there was some more Ghur in action, not only in connection to the horn but around the bard himself. He was not in the kind of constant contact with this wind as he was with Azyr, but there was some sense of openness in him – a willingness to absorb the beasts magic as well, something Ladry has never connected with him before.

Other than that, though, she felt nothing.

Ladry can feel Caraoc's newly emerging affinity with the beasts magic but she senses nothing concerning the humans.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:56 am
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
As Ladrys senses briefly leaves the visible world, she senses Caraocs familiar presence, yet also something unfamiliar. Like a prowling beast waiting to be unleashed. As her mind wanders further from their group, though, she senses nothing concerning the humans. No magic items, no magic use. Puzzling.

Drawing focus back to herself, she opens her eyes and blinks a few times to readjust to the darkness of the forest. "I sense no magic around the humans. This does in no way mean that there is none, just that I can not perceive it currently. I had assumed the cloaked man was maybe a wizard of sorts, but chance be that he is just an official."

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 am
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
the plan had been set, but first, celebrations were in order. The raid was successful and there was a surplus in supplies.
Searinox spend the rest of the night celebrating with the crew, trying to get closer to them and thus get easier information out of them when he wanted to.

---------------

"However he could still be a wizard of some sort then aswell right?" Searinox had knelled down behind a tree at the very edge of the forest, out looking the caravan in the distance. "Personally I'm more worried about those Black powder weapons. I've heard they have some that shoot out bullets faster then our crossbows, with a punch to match."
He kept scanning the caravans for faults in it's defence. "From what I can gather so far we should have a small group distract them, hopefully this will pull off the riders and a few of the soldiers. This should also flush out any hidden dangers that might be occupying one of the wagons. Then the remainder of us should hit them from the rear, and hit them hard." He then focused his attention on the cloaked rider. "And preferably if that human with his fancy hat doesn't leave the convoy taking him out as fast as possible aswell, I just don't like the look of him."

enjoying the party
giving a quickly thought of battle plan

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:25 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8534
Location: Hag Graef
While following the party, Caraoc was so concentrate on finding the Ghur resource in himself that he nearly bumped into them.
Their camouflage was up to the finest Elven standards. No Human could possibly spot them and it was even far from immediate for a distracted Elf.
But he felt the familiar presence of Ladry aura as she concentrated, with its typical reddish nuance and shining warmth.

The pyromancer spoke softly about the lack of Human magic, which was good news.
Then Searinox mentioned black powder weapons, which was bad news.
Observing the Human convoy, the pilot commented:
"The horses would show unprecedented discipline if they were not to panic at the sound of my horn.
As for the black powder, I believe it ignites on fire, doesn't it? I'm sure Ladry would love to verify that.
Provided it's not raining heavily, which, well you know, that could always happen. Let me check."


Forecasting the weather - that includes sensing how easy would it be to influence it.

_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.+ Book (On the boundary between life and death)
Skills: Power of Azyr (2) Power of Ghur (1), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:00 pm
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
A grim smile split Ladrys face in two at Caraocs words. "Ah yes... Black powder. I have never seen it in use, but a little concentration and those riders could be taken out of the action without them even knowing we are here... In theory. It might be the best way to start an ambush, as I can focus more easily if their movement is limited. Best if the rain and horse stampede only starts after that..."

Ladry paused for a second and looked back towards Searinox, and with a more serious tone to her voice replied to his concerns. "Me not sensing anything does not necessarily mean that there is nothing. It is possible to conceal yourself to the magic vision. But keep in mind that if battle commences, we have two wizards, they have one at the most. That gives us a theoretical advantage... Depending on his prowess of course. I doubt they send mighty wizards to collect taxes."

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:40 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 586
As the elves were speaking, the caravan was slowly moving further. Mud was clinging on the men's shoes and their halberds were glittering with raindrops; the wheels of the carts were sinking deep into the grass. The man with the hat adjusted his stirrups and this movement showed a lyre on his side, previously hidden behind his cloak. A footslogger reached for a bottle and took a few deep gulps without slowing down. A harnessed horse reached for a mouthful of grass and the coachman forced the animal's head back in place. The column was walking in silence disturbed only by creaking of the wheels and an occasional snort of a horse. Slowly, they were turning their backs to the group of elves observing them and vanishing from their sight in a nearby bend.

The caravan is slowly passing by.

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:40 pm
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
"Well you never know with these humans, heard the practiser of Chamon are excessive gold hoarders." Searinox chuckled a little as he focused his attention to the caravan again. He noticed the fancy dressed human adjusting himself on his mount which made his cloak move, underneath it Searinox saw something, but couldn't quite make it out at this distance.
"Is that... an instrument he's carrying?" He said as he squinted with his eyes to see it more clearly. He then turned to Caraoc with a smile, "Maybe something for you? Could enhance your musical performance." He then turned towards the rest of the party.

"If we're going to do this we need to do it fast. As of now it looks like their movement will be slowed by the mud, which means they will not flee... well the carriages atleast won't. If they are filled with the reward they hope they are."
He then unravelled the chain around his waist and coiled it around his left arm, ready to whip it out in a fluid motion should the need arise, in his other hand he grabbed two of his throwing knives.
"So... Who'll help me form a distraction while the rest gies to inform the others?"

Ready to attack and distract the caravan so that the others can inform the raiding group

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8534
Location: Hag Graef
Given the bad weather, the road seemed to be appropriate for an ambush.
As it was his task, the pilot told the rest of the scouting mercenaries that he was going to run to the rest of the gang.
He invited to run across the bushes further up the road.

But it was not necessary to run much further: the crew was gathered quite close to the mecenaries.
Caraoc reported them what they had seen, while the mercenaries came and joined forces.
Everybody understood immediately that the road was the appropriate place for an ambush, they just had to run one mile further, that would provide the Elves ample time to catch their breath before the three clumsy wagons would arrive through the muddy road along with their escort.

Caraoc had made clear at this stage that his horn was the most appropriate way to signal the attack: it was bound to panic the horses, a sure way to disturb the escort.

Joining the crew together.
Preparing: http://www.parolesmania.com/paroles_har ... 74616.html - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg8e4VkWsRE
_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.+ Book (On the boundary between life and death)
Skills: Power of Azyr (2) Power of Ghur (1), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
As Caraoc assembled the rest of the crew for an assault, Ladry drew her cloak closer around herself. The damp cloth clung to her skin in a manner that made her long for fire, but the knowledge that her wish would soon be fulfilled calmed her. As the group of elves moved into position, she took the opportunity to share a few words with Caraoc. "Let me gather the winds of magic for a few seconds before you signal the attack, so I am ready. As soon as the warhorses begin to trample the foot soldiers are bound to close ranks - the moment they do, I want to blast them. Hopefully taking a couple of them down before they get a chance to fire those crossbows."

Suggesting Caraoc that they coordinate the attack signal by first blowing the horn, then immediately blast a few choice fire blasts into their closed ranks.

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software