One part this is awsome and two parts this could help with out fiction.
Here's a link from youtube on a guy tryign to both be awsome with a bow and revive the old archer techniques.
Basicly what he learned:
1. The back quiver is usless. The moment you move around, espesialy trying to to move fast through a forest, dumps your armo or gets ought on things. However the main reason this fails is unlike previous generations of archers, modern archers do not move and thus are mostly standing/sitting and looking at a target.
2 Modern archers started putting the arrow on the left side of the bow as when aiming at a two dimensional arrow.target, its easier to hit with one eye closed. For target practice this OK as you do not have to keep that charging boar or that berzerker with foam coming out of his mouth from killing you.
Knocking it on the right side of the bow/side of dominant hand, and you can have a faster more fluid motion.
3. Master archers could shoot with both hands.
4. Archer can pickup enemy archers' arrows, grab them on the move, and in some mythic cases, grab them mid flight.
5. Many ancient depictions of archers held their extra arrows in their draw hand so they can get more arrows flying. This is difficult to learn but basically up until guns replaced bows as the predominant range weapon, this was a life saver as you were pretty much practicing this since you picked up a bow anyways. Three arrows in hand, while the rest in a belt quiver.
6. While this requires you to be fast, one can shoot up close and personal without breaking a sweat (this requires you to be fast and skilled.)
In short, I think this is how our elves probably could fight. Leaves alot more options with some of this actually being plausible in our fan fiction.