Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Lars Andersen:THe Closest we'll get to a real life Legolas 
Malekith's Best Friend

One part this is awsome and two parts this could help with out fiction.

Here's a link from youtube on a guy tryign to both be awsome with a bow and revive the old archer techniques.
watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Basicly what he learned:

1. The back quiver is usless. The moment you move around, espesialy trying to to move fast through a forest, dumps your armo or gets ought on things. However the main reason this fails is unlike previous generations of archers, modern archers do not move and thus are mostly standing/sitting and looking at a target.

2 Modern archers started putting the arrow on the left side of the bow as when aiming at a two dimensional arrow.target, its easier to hit with one eye closed. For target practice this OK as you do not have to keep that charging boar or that berzerker with foam coming out of his mouth from killing you.

Knocking it on the right side of the bow/side of dominant hand, and you can have a faster more fluid motion.

3. Master archers could shoot with both hands.

4. Archer can pickup enemy archers' arrows, grab them on the move, and in some mythic cases, grab them mid flight.

5. Many ancient depictions of archers held their extra arrows in their draw hand so they can get more arrows flying. This is difficult to learn but basically up until guns replaced bows as the predominant range weapon, this was a life saver as you were pretty much practicing this since you picked up a bow anyways. Three arrows in hand, while the rest in a belt quiver.

6. While this requires you to be fast, one can shoot up close and personal without breaking a sweat (this requires you to be fast and skilled.)

In short, I think this is how our elves probably could fight. Leaves alot more options with some of this actually being plausible in our fan fiction.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:25 am
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

I saw the clip a few days ago and was amazed at thevskill on show.

My Kings of War Plog - Twilight Kin / Nightstalkers

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 am
Corsair
Corsair

:shock:
Really, really impressive.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:03 pm
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels
Been showing that one to family members over the last few days. Three of the tricks are so mind blowing that not even great heroes of the Fantasy Battle Universe are capable of them :shock:

That highlight video doesn't even reveal that he holds the world record of 11 shots flighted before the first one lands ...even more than the past -- believed fictional -- legend of Hiawatha's 10 shots in the air.

Saintofm wrote:
In short, I think this is how our elves probably could fight. Leaves alot more options with some of this actually being plausible in our fan fiction.

Master bowmen of Brettonia should be fighting like this ...so Elves, definitely :)

I've been looking at the practicalities and aesthetics of modelling multiple arrows in the draw hands of my Waywatchers and Waystalkers 8)

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:14 pm
Chosen of Khaine

So that is totally insane... Thanks for sharing. Love the fact he does it all in jeans.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Black Guard

flatworldsedge wrote:
So that is totally insane... Thanks for sharing. Love the fact he does it all in jeans.

Jeans + Parkour + Bow and arrows = What I want to be when I grow up.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:54 am
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

There's a few well written articles debunking this guy. It boils down to.
he's a really fast and really bad shot.

He didn't dicdiscover any "lost" techniques either

Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:04 pm
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Are they suggesting trickery in the videos?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:17 pm
Malekith's Personal Guard

T.D. wrote:
Are they suggesting trickery in the videos?

There doesn't have to be a ton of trickery...if you show the one time he hits, and edit out the 74 times he misses, then he looks like a master.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:52 pm
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Splitting arrows in half, catching and returning arrows and splitting them in midair is impressive no matter how many takes are involved :)

There is a lot of hipster butt-hurt in the archery community over this video.

I say to these people: show me you doing the same things and then I'll be impressed ;)

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 pm
Malekith's Personal Guard

T.D. wrote:
Splitting arrows in half, catching and returning arrows and splitting them in midair is impressive no matter how many takes are involved :)

There is a lot of hipster butt-hurt in the archery community over this video.

I say to these people: show me you doing the same things and then I'll be impressed ;)

Reasonable point :)

Edit: Wait - there's a hipster archery community? I need to get out more. :)

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 pm
Corsair
Corsair

I read a comment that the technique he uses is well know by serious historians... but that is only used on horse.
Pause the video at 30 seconds; read last but one line, you'll read "best weapon of horsemen".

For footed horsemen, the reason why they developed techniques with powerful bows and placed the arrow on the left side was for accuracy at long distance.

Basically, on foot, people need to maintain a safe distance on the target, while on horse, they can get close, therefore:
- footloggers need to kill at long distance, for which they need powerful bows and as much accuracy as possible
- horsemen can afford close distance, for which they need to shoot real quick.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]