Age of Sigmar League

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cornix
Warrior

Age of Sigmar League

Post by Cornix »

My local store is running a league for AoS with the following restrictions. No more than 8 warscrolls up to three may be characters (max of 2 wizards) 0-2 monsters 0-2 war machines and each warscroll may have a maximum of 20 wounds. You have a base army of 6 scrolls with 2 sideboards of 2 scrolls. You show your opponent the main force and then choose with sideboard to use. I certainly like the warscroll limit and that each of those has an individual wound limit. Armies still have flexibility but limits forces to an element of balance.

I am thinking of using the following list

Elsith Soulflayer & Ebony (Morathi on dark Pegasus)
20 darkshards
10 cold one knights
reaper bolt thrower
reaper bolt thrower
war hydra

sideboards
Dreadlord on Dragon & 20 executioners
Malekith & 20 Black Guard (At least one person is using Archaon, would like to see who comes out on top between the big fellas)

Anybody have any thoughts? If anybody has any suggestions regarding force I would greatly appreciate it.

I was contemplating 10 doomfire warlocks instead of the darkshards but as soon as one model is lost they are nowhere near as good, especially seeing the dreadlord on dragon's command ability does not limit to combat phase, getting all of those re-rolls could get very tasty.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Age of Sigmar League

Post by Calisson »

Cornix wrote:I was contemplating 10 doomfire warlocks instead of the darkshards but as soon as one model is lost they are nowhere near as good, especially seeing the dreadlord on dragon's command ability does not limit to combat phase, getting all of those re-rolls could get very tasty.

An important factor is ranges.

If you play on a large table, then warmachines with long ranges have a cutting edge. So do flying units and fast unit with range weapons. There, warlocks have a great move and their spell has similar range as RXBs.

If you play on a small table, with dense packed units, then the movement will play a much lesser factor. Here, RXB have a much greater firepower.

For the side, I like a lot Malekith's ability to regenerate lost wounds.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

The games will take place on 4x4 boards with a 2 hour time limit.

Malekith is very good, but don't like to use overpowered things without reason. So only plan to use him if Nagash, Archaon etc... are in play, plus any game against high elves if only for old times sake.

Although I do like the dreadlord allowing the RxB of rerolling 1s to hit in shooting phase before moving it to executioners once combat starts.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Go for the darkshards.

About the sideboards, I don't see much difference between your two options. They are both made of 20 elite plus a dragon. The only difference is Mallie instead of a mere dreadlord, making one option more powerful than the other one.

You could envision a different playstyle for one of the two options.
For example, replacing one unit by 20 shades would give the option to deploy at 9" of opponent rather than 24", and have much more shooting. That's a real alternative compared to 20 elite infantry.
Other example, replacing one unit by 10 DR gives also a much greater agility, and more firepower too.
Final example, replacing one unit by a single unit of 3 CO Chariots would also provide more punch on the charge, more mobility and better armor, and even a smaller number of models.

If you happened to have three CO Chariots, I would recommend that - and replacing the dragonlord with a CO mounted lord.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}