Wait so what happened

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Valekith
Slave on the Altar

Wait so what happened

Post by Valekith »

Ive watched a few youtube videos on the lore as i am a old school WFB player. So basically Slaanesh ate all the elves. So what happened to the dark elves do they we remade or what?!?!?
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Re: Wait so what happened

Post by Shadowspite »

IIRC, Slaanesh ate all the elves except those who made it to the Realm of Azyr. Those surviving Azyrite elves are the factions represented by all the 'legacy' miniatures, such as the Daughters of Khaine (witch elves and SoS), Darkling Covens (sorceresses and basic infantry), etc. They all live in some degree of peace with the other 'Old World legacy' factions under Sigmar's rule.

Then at some point the elven gods Malerion (formerly Malekith) and Tyrion (formerly Peter Dinklage :P ) went off to beat up Slaanesh, freeing some/most/all of the elven souls she'd eaten. Those newly free elven souls will presumably turn up at some point as new elven factions. The only ones we've heard anything about so far are the Shadowkin, who dwell in the Realm of Ulgu. The two elven characters in the Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower game are Shadowkin.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Valekith
Slave on the Altar

Post by Valekith »

Guess thts wut i get for not buying any models after 2007 lol I hope they get remade soon in all their dark glory. The story is kinda cool tho
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Well, you missed the best bit, which was when it turned out Malekith was right all along and was, in fact, the rightful Phoenix King and Asuryan's mortal avatar. All the High Elf Phoenix Kings from Bel Shanaar to Finubar were in fact pretenders and only succeeded in passing through the Sacred Flame thanks to sorcerous trickery. Which is why most of them came to bad ends: Asuryan cursed them. Malekith getting burned by the Sacred Flame wasn't a punishment for his wickedness, it was what was supposed to happen. You have to burn to nothing and then be reborn in a whole new body, but Malekith wasn't expecting it so he backed out halfway through and stayed half-burned. If only Aenarion had actually told his son what to expect when passing through the Flame, a whole lot of trouble could have been prevented.

But then GW rebooted the universe, of course.

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

The old Warhammer world is alive and well thank you very much - Nothing of GW's end times heresy is being recognised here :twisted:
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Shadowspite wrote:Well, you missed the best bit, which was when it turned out Malekith was right all along and was, in fact, the rightful Phoenix King and Asuryan's mortal avatar. All the High Elf Phoenix Kings from Bel Shanaar to Finubar were in fact pretenders and only succeeded in passing through the Sacred Flame thanks to sorcerous trickery. Which is why most of them came to bad ends: Asuryan cursed them. Malekith getting burned by the Sacred Flame wasn't a punishment for his wickedness, it was what was supposed to happen. You have to burn to nothing and then be reborn in a whole new body, but Malekith wasn't expecting it so he backed out halfway through and stayed half-burned. If only Aenarion had actually told his son what to expect when passing through the Flame, a whole lot of trouble could have been prevented.

But then GW rebooted the universe, of course.

As much as I dislike everything related to AoS and End Times, reading this still brings a warm feeling.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

As much as I dislike everything related to AoS and End Times, reading this still brings a warm feeling.

Nah, this was an abomination. Even before the formal "reboot", to rip apart their own lore like that showed colossal disrespect to the fan-base and spoke to GW's "we don't give a f**k about them" attitude towards their long-term customers. There was just so much that wouldn't work regarding High Elf and Dark Elf history up to that point for their final stupid epilogue to make any sense, let alone be enjoyable.

Better just to imagine that the universe froze prior to End Times and enjoy the richness and nuanced depth of the world and its lore that existed up to that point.

*End mini rant*
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Red... wrote:

Nah, this was an abomination. Even before the formal "reboot", to rip apart their own lore like that showed colossal disrespect to the fan-base and spoke to GW's "we don't give a f**k about them" attitude towards their long-term customers. There was just so much that wouldn't work regarding High Elf and Dark Elf history up to that point for their final stupid epilogue to make any sense, let alone be enjoyable.

Better just to imagine that the universe froze prior to End Times and enjoy the richness and nuanced depth of the world and its lore that existed up to that point.

*End mini rant*

Well said on every level!
Our gaming group, small though it might be, is firmly rooted in 6th edition (still the pinnacle of WFB in my humble opinion - though our most veteran player still hankers after the old 3rd edition rules, and still has the original 3rd ed hardback rulebook) and we don't recognise the current GW puniverse which we abhor in all of its foul manifestations...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The Lore of AoS still hasn't captivated me nearly as much as the Old World fluff. When the Aelves get their AoS release I wouldn't expect them to have a strong link to the old Elves. It's a completely different setting and art style with some old models crossing over.

But... The game is actually quite fun.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I like the potential of the new setting, since part of the reason I left the hobby for a decade was that I got a bit sick of the Old World with its frankly absurd grimdark-upon-grimdark and hackneyed assortment of fantasy-counterpart-cultures. I actually don't ever want to see a return of faux-Egyptian undead, faux-Aztec lizardmen, faux-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail Bretonnia and so on.

But the new setting isn't really living up to the potential yet. There still isn't really much to hang an army concept on for most factions. We still don't really know enough about what the cultures and societies of the setting are like beyond a few snippets. And I get the feeling the GW design team are still stuck in the mindset of the old setting to a degree, which I think is hamstringing their ability to come up with truly different and original concepts. So Chaos worshippers are still basically the Marauder tribes from the Old World, dwarfs are still steampunk engineers with Anglo-Saxon war-masks, humans are still mostly 17th-century Germans, and so on.