Coming back from WFB and not sure where to start with AoS

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Warpix
Beastmaster

Coming back from WFB and not sure where to start with AoS

Post by Warpix »

I don't think I've played since like 6th or 7th of WFB. I'll miss the old game, though I can understand that change is change. Sorry for all the nooby questions in this thread.

Where's a good place to start for someone that hasn't played AoS but has an old standing army? Is there anything I should avoid? Or are there must haves? Do you run multiple detachments in a list or something? The Druchii seem really segmented these days.

Is Morathi worth taking? She seems like a large chunk of points, or is she only field able once you're past a certain points limit?

Why isn't there a board for lists in the AoS section like there is for WFB?

Other things of note, I'm glad that Druchii are part of the forces of Order, after all, all we wanted to do in the first place was restore the rightful king.
Drak'Ne
W6/S3/T3/D5/I3
Equipment: Short and Long Sword, 2xDagger, 20G, Cloak, Pendant
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Defensive Fighting
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Re: Coming back from WFB and not sure where to start with Ao

Post by Shadowspite »

There isn't a specific board here for AoS lists because there are, unfortunately, only a couple of us here who play AoS. The fracture in the WHFB playerbase when AoS appeared hit especially hard at Druchii.net.

You can play a combined Druchii army with most of our old units (no harpies or reapers, though) with the 'Order' allegiance. Alternatively, you can choose one of the new DE-based subfactions (Daughters of Khaine is the best supported, but Scourge Privateers and Darkling Covens are also playable) and add in other DE units as allies.

Or, if you don't mind playing casual games without points, you can use the 'Legends' rules and keep using all your existing minis.

The new Morathi model(s!) are pretty awesome. She's only really worth fielding in a dedicated Daughters of Khaine army, though. The old Morathi model is only usable with the Legends rules or as a 'counts as' sorceress on dragon in a Darkling Covens army (and you may get accusations of 'modelling for advantage', as Sulephet is much smaller than the proper dragon model).

In case you're unaware, AoS is now onto its second edition. Which makes me an even more useless source of advice than I'd otherwise be, since my hobby time is taken up entirely with 40K right now and I haven't actually played (or even bought) the second edition rules yet. I'll be picking up the new 'Soul Wars' box when I have the money available, though, and I'd tentatively recommend doing that unless you really hate the idea of getting a small army of Stormcast and a small army of basically a million flavours of wraith, in which case you can just get the core rulebook separately.

I do recommend having a look at GW's AoS site. There are some handy getting started videos.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Warpix
Beastmaster

Re: Coming back from WFB and not sure where to start with Ao

Post by Warpix »

Thanks, the videos is a good start. And good knowing that Morathi is only worth in a Daughters of Khaine.
Drak'Ne
W6/S3/T3/D5/I3
Equipment: Short and Long Sword, 2xDagger, 20G, Cloak, Pendant
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Defensive Fighting