An essay on role models and Druchii.net

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Alright, just checked the Executioner group and I see that you are not one of them. I've always thought you were a moderator from the aura of authority which seems to emanate from you. (I'm now just resulting to flattery so I can get myself out of this somehow)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

I could not agree more with Tarbo's words. As a society we seem to be dumbing everything down, it is not just grammar and spelling. Our thoughts on such things are dumbed down. Its not just that we can't spell correctly, it's that we don't want to, or don't care. This is the worst thing.

However it is also, quite clearly, a transitional period for the English language that we find ourselves in. I think you will all notice a difference in spelling and speech between Shakespeare's time and ours. It is the natural course of things that over time changes occur. Evolution, not just of the body, but of the mind. Everything around us then evolves.

The tendency in this evolution of the English language is to simply discard what is not necessary. The suffix "e" was dropped on many words from Shakespeare's day because they were not needed. Many times they were only added for aesthetic purposes when hand writing and printing text.

It seems now that, following the trend, we are about to discard again; our language evolving once more. Technology: as that has evolved begins to inadvertantly shape our language. "Txt Speak" is used by the vast majority of people on their mobile phones and on social networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace. Msn is also a major culprit. It is unfortunate to note that as technology evolves like this, we will keep using this "Txt Speak" and eventually we will write like this, as it becomes the norm. Ergo, just as Shakespeare lost his "e", we will lose our language.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm not saying it is correct, it just seems inevitable. Punish those that create an unintelligable post, but keep an open mind about this change, otherwise some people may become very bitter and make this place an inhospitable-to-the-newcomer, unused relic for older members...

Gr8 2 tlk 2 u, hope this change doesn't happen too quickly.
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Khel wrote:They would alert Belial or Lyhne to it's presence and the hunters would clean it up as soon as possible.

Or I'd do it myself if it were that bad...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Rork wrote:Or I'd do it myself if it were that bad...

Or, I could do it, because we have the same powers apparently. ;)
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well I know I am guilty of text speak at times, however I try not to use it as it does not look good and it makes it very hard for people to understand you if they are new to english. I think I may have the solution, big drum roll please, http://www.spellcheck.net/ I use it so I will put it in my sig and I encourage everyone to use it on words they are unsure of. Add it to your sig if you like, make life easier for those who want to use it.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Oh come on. Don't hold it to me, you are completely ignoring the good things I said about you. ;)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

If you use Firefox, they have a handy spell checker. Just right click the text box and select "Spell Check this Field", while it does nothing for grammar or punctuation, it does put a little red line under the misspelled words and offers up correct spellings when you right click on it (much like Microsoft Word, for those of you who use that).
And Khel, its ok, I understand. You're an RPG person, you're allowed to say crazy things every now and then.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Instead of havning people pointing out errors in public, a solution is to do what we do on Asrai.org. The mods there have the power to edit other users' posts. And once they see posts with netspeak/1337-speak/similar they go in an edit it. More people will be able to read and reply, and the quality of the discussions are upheld.

If the same user keeps on writing "bad", a nice PM from a moderator saying that if he improves his typing/spelling he will get better replies of higher quality usually does the trick.

I am against pointing out other people's spelling/typing in public on a grand scale (the random jovial poke at someone you know is fine though).

~ Nag
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

You are right to say that spelling is important but some people just don't even try to write well.

I can't say that I write without misstakes but at least I try.

Picturethread: We had something simmilar on our local GW-stores forum and it got locked as well after several complaints. And IMHO it's the fate of every such off-topic thread because some people just don't get the difference between funny and racist, etc.
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Re: An essay on role models and Druchii.net

Post by Noble korhedron »

ad by a troll
I agree that Paris isn't a good role model for most things; however, she managed to stay relevant for comparatively long time for someone who has really done feck all...
I wonder if she could have done it without that infamous, errm, "special tape" with Rick Salomon...?
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I think you missed that the necro was by an ad placing troll...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Good spot. Thanks.
Troll dead :killed: , ad deleted. :twisted:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Calisson wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:42 pm Good spot. Thanks.
Troll dead :killed: , ad deleted. :twisted:
Sorry, my bad; I completely missed the troll... :cry:
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.