Revenge of the Sith

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

What did you think?

Excellent, on par with the original trilogy.
61%
Good, but the original trilogy is still better
32%
Not bad. A good film, similar to Eps 1 & 2
7%

Total votes: 75

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Revenge of the Sith

Post by Xizor »

Hey,
well its been out a day now, Im assuming most of you have seen it...so, what did you think?
Im a HUGE Star Wars fan, so had already read all the Clone Wars stuff, Labyrinth of Evil and the Revenge of the Sith novel. But I thought the film was excellent. Really well done and far superior to Eps 1 & 2. It really had the "proper" Star Wars feel it it I thought. All the characters where good (General Grievous all the way) and it was well acted, with a suitable ammount of humour. The overall dark feel was good - nice to see a film that isnt all smiles. The Darth Vader costume wasnt over used, and where it was used was perfect. If anyone is confused by anything in the film, and whats background or whatever, I should be able to help you out...well, ill try atleast (heh, do or no dot, there is no try!!)
Chris
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Tacklbry
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tacklbry »

Have not seen it, but to call it both not bad, and on a par with episodes 1 and 2, smacks of oxymoron.
I like dwarfs, their skin makes fine boots. :twisted:
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Well, Eps 1 & 2 where good films...they just didnt really have the Star Wars feel IMO

Also, why vote if you havent seen it?

Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

I loved it, so I shall vote on par, much better then I and II. I had never been to a first screening before, the atmosphere alone was worth it.

Some bad points, I thought Portman's dialogue was poor, it said everything we needed but I felt it could be better.

There was an un-nessecary amount of blue screen work as well. Some of the less ambitiouse settings could of been done without it (the ones without floating speech platforms, magma or all of the above).

It ended very decisively, prooving without a doubt that it is one long saga. I can spot no holes in the story yet (Chewies story wasn't quite complete but I'm sure we all know the story anyway).

Totally agree with you Xixor in everyway. As for filling me in, why does Luke recognise Degohba? (Dagohba?). Is it simply Yoda's presence?
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

The somewhat random inclusion of Chewbacca alongside Tarfful was a litte irritating to me. But oh well, doesnt really matter I guess

As a huge fan of alot of the expanded universe stuff - the comics, novels, etc etc I was a little disappointed with Mr. Luca's blatent disregard for all this when writing eps 1-3. So alot of what has been written before is now redudant. Boba Fett a clone - yeah, whatever!

The bluescreening was in abudance, but such is the nature of film making nowadays (not that im an expert on the subject by any means!).

I had not problems was the dialog from the lovely Natalie Portman. Care to elaborate?

Also, Im not sure I fully understand your question...

Why did Luke go to Dagobah? - He was told too!!! But I dont think this is what you asked!

Do you mean what did he mean by what he said? If so, I dont know, and ive never seen it refered to anywhere. I can only assume it was something to do with his newly found recognition of the force...or something!?!

If anyone actually knows this, id be interested :)

As for first screenings - Ive been to all 3 first screenings for the prequals (including having to que over 3 hours to be the first one in to Ep I - you couldnt book tickets in advance down here then!) - Oh I also saw first screenings of all 3 special edition versions, as I was already well into it then :) The atmosphere always rocks. And its cool, cos i always seem to see people I havent seen for ages at them!

Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

I think it was not a bad film, by any means, but I've seen/read many better pieces of art. The first half an hour was pretty (read: very) lame; droids made funny voices and got destroyed in groovy ways, there was that silly and too long section were the two Jedis cruise around with their puny spaceboats and then there's all those different kinds of droids which mostly looked and sounded like they'd be the Jar-Jar Binks of the Episode III.
By that I mean that Jar-Jar was only there to bring in some comedy (or so I see it, might be wrong though) and so it seems to be with all those droids who play no part in the plot.
The plot was very interesting and catching (is that a word?:)) and the Jedis were awesome; cool special effects and the fighting sequences were awesome.
I think it lacked SOMETHING, though. It lasted for 2 hours and 22 minutes and in my opinion there were pretty few things that actually happened (if you haven't seen the film, stop reading here and go to the next reply ;)):
-resqueing Palatine
-"inhale" chapter to get everything ready for a big fight
-big fight:
*droids kill clones
*clones kill droids
*the government is taken over by bad guys
*many Jedis get killed by teammates
*brawl of Anakin and his master
-the end

I expected it to be better :( I'm not a fan, though, so I might not have understood all that happened in the film since I haven't read any books etc. Still a fine movie - but mostly only as an action film. It isn't an adventure film as the other Episodes are. IMHO.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Man, if thats all you got from it then I pity you really. That overview you just gave was very lame.
You did mention you are not an actual fan though, so I cant really see it from your point of view.
The droid stuff at the beginning was a bit silly I agree, but all in good humour. The OT had some pretty cheesy lines in remember :)

Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

Do you mean what did he mean by what he said?

Thats the one "There's something familiar about this place" when Luke first arrives there.

I had not problems was the dialog from the lovely Natalie Portman. Care to elaborate?

Last time I checked she was a strong willed women more then able to take care of herself. Her character in this film did not reflect this. Her lines seemed very un-original. The "Blinded by Love" scene was the low point of the film for me.

droids made funny voices

I had almost forgotten about this. I suppose its perfectly logical. Clones are superior to droids so they make the droids more self aware. Self aware-ness leeds to individuality and individuality seems to lead to funny voices.

Boba Fett a clone - yeah, whatever!

Yes, I seem to recall reading his escape from the Sarlaac through use of the force (and Slave I on remote control). Perhaps you could fill in this blank for me aswell. What was his story?
Rankrath
Executioner

Post by Rankrath »

this film is the most important film, because it sets up for the other 3 movies. i still think lucas should make a 7th film about the yuuzhan vong.

( in case u havent figured it out im a nerd.)
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Xizor wrote:The droid stuff at the beginning was a bit silly I agree, but all in good humour
Silly!!! "Silly" is the word that escaped me :D Just the right expression!
Well, it took away certain "legendary movie" feeling that should be present in such everliving movies like Star Wars - they are pretty legendary/almighty
Mielkith wrote:
droids made funny voices

I had almost forgotten about this. I suppose its perfectly logical. Clones are superior to droids so they make the droids more self aware. Self aware-ness leeds to individuality and individuality seems to lead to funny voices.

Loooooooool!! :D :D :D
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Yeah - silly is THE word.

A film on the yuuzhan vong you say? I dont think it would work. Plus i doubt mr. Lucas even acknowledges them :P It should stay at 6 films.

I also agree, the "Blinded by love" scene was a bit...um...pathetic? I kinda get your point about her demise from strong willed woman to what we see this time. Though I think thats just to express her utter devotion to Anakin and what his conflict is doing to her.

As for Boba Fett. His original story (before this clone crap) was that his real name was Jaster Mereel (spelling might be off there), who murdered his senior in the Imperial military. He then become a Bounty Hunter and took the name of Boba Fett (I think it was the name of a Mandolorian).

He escaped from the Sarlaac with help from Dengar - another bounty hunter who hates Han Solo. I dont think theres anything of the Force mentioned in conjunction with Boba Fett.

So of this may be slightly rusty, as it has been a while since I last read the appropriate novels.

Star Wars is my kinda geeky thing lol

Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

Where's the option for those of us who haven't seen the second one yet?

[But I remember sneaking off school to go to Leicester Square to see the original when it came out!]

Sha'
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

I am huge Star Wars fan either. I cannot wait so I seen SW III on 0.01 19th, ie today.

+++BEWARE SPOILERS+++

I think it is really brillant movie, compared to old trilogy, although cannot match to Empire Strikes Back, although it is equally dark. It is mature movie, adressed to older publicity than I and II which was for kids mainly. There's action, there's tragedy, battle between Good and Evil. All plots are resolved, we clearly know why Anakin has become Darth Vader and what driven him to Dark Side.

What i liked the most was (except normal-standard SW adventages):
-General Grevious, really cool character, well thought,
-Senator Palpatine, erm Emparor, cunning, purely evil,
-the most locations of all SW movies - we've been on multiple different worlds,
-Imperial feel of Republic troops and machines,
-bridge of preImperial Star Destroyer in last scenes,
-last scenes, especially from Tatooine, with 2 moons clearly reminding scene from SW IV New Hope,
-good SW humor in few situations, Obi Wan's "Hello there" and R2 battling with droids,
-confrontation with General Grevious,
-execution of order 66, especially executing Twileek Jedi (dont remember name)
-battle on Kashyyk,
-tragedy, which was seen almost in every scene, fall of Republic, Obi Wan vs Anakin, Padmee...
-scenes with pacification of Jedi Temple, especially "Master Skywalker, they are in higher numbers, what we gonna do?"[sorry if not quoted exactly],
-and all of above with brilliant MUSIC! The best soundtrack ever!

What I didnt like:
-dialogues were too pompatic even for Jedi and for SW,
-Anakin's change to Dark Side wasnt too deep, it was like explaining psychology in kindergarten, excuse for his urge was love, well I excepted better and more deep explanation,
-Obi Wan, first beaten by Dooku in few seconds, then Mastre of Martial Arts in duel with Gervious and Anakin, weird eh?
-Mace Windu, in duel with Palpatine, almost killing him and... talking insteed ending the case... typical Hollywod.
-and maybe few more small things,

but there are a lot more of pluses...

May the force be with You!
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Post by Columind »

I loved episode 3!
Very nice indeed...I loved the way thngs evolved...there was no uncoherencies, and I liked the density of the plot.
I know this as nothing to do with it, but does anyone know if G.Lucas is going to make another 3 (the final 3) of the original plan?
I've heard that there is a 7th book, but I'm unsure if he really wrote it or not, I believe it's called: "The heir of the Empire".
Thanks
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

To add to that list of pluses Obi-wan (holding blaster): Un-civilised weapon

Mace Windu, in duel with Palpatine, almost killing him and... talking insteed ending the case...

I have a supiscion that Palpatine could of escaped at any time. He had plenty left in him when Mace was dis-armed (pun intended, cringe away :twisted: ).

I know this as nothing to do with it, but does anyone know if G.Lucas is going to make another 3 (the final 3) of the original plan?

I am fairly sure the answer is no. It just feels complete now, I don't need to see the final 3. Besides, I held of buying themon dvd till the big set came out, I really don't want another long wait on my hands. There are a number of spin offs planned, a bounty hunter one for example.

I wanted to see Kitt Fisto in a glorius last stand (or even better in a triumphant escape to safety, some Jedi must of made it).

Thanks for the Boba summary, that does ring a bell.
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Oh well, here's my reluctant two cents. I've been somwhat of a fan since 77' ( i was 10 when A new Hope came out). I had every action figure that they put out...played with them for YEARS--soME experts say too long ;) .

I find that Episodes 1 + 2 where so horrible for the most part because they lacked mood and character depth. They were so zappy, computerized and chaotic I had no real tie to any of the characters--and the lame one liners from the interactions between Obi-Wan an Anakin are horrible--a lot more like school kids than Jedi Masters...

In Episodes 4 + 5 mood was present, you felt hopelesnes, exhillaration, longing...and humor--done right (smart, somewhat 'hidden" and subtle) unlike the "IN YOUR FACE, you stupid audience, you won't get this unless we are blatent about it humor..."

So, there's my Chaotic banter..or "banther" if you will... about the movies. Lucas killed it with the new movies--should have passed the franchise to Ridley Scott.

I'll wait until it comes out on video most likely.
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

I was definetely a fan of the old SW trilogy; they were fresh, new, and led to a completely new kind of space genre. On the other hand...
...episode 1 was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Made my top 10 list, even (and that's hard to do).
...episode 2 was bad, but I managed not to fall asleep until about an hour into the film.
...episode 3 was also terrible, but less-so than the others (still nowhere near the original trilogy).

Why (or how) could Lucas make 3 blockbusters and then completely destroy them with such a crappy series? Mainly because 1 and 2 were nothing but boring beaurocracy and decrepit acting. Episode 3 was carried and I mean single-handedly carried by the actors for Obiwan and Senator Palpatine. Hayden Christiansen should probably quit his career now and find a new one, before he becomes Keanu Reeves: the second coming. Episode 3 was better than the other 2 only because it was less beaurocratic and more of that space soap opera that A New Hope was. Now, all 3 of them were marred by some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard... Roger Ebert describes it perfectly when he said, "I've seen greeting cards express more passion." That's ok though, since the intense action scenes almost made up for it. In the end, not great (though less disappointing than the others). This one got a 4/10 from me; the way I calculate it is every movie starts with 10/10 and loses 1 for every time I look at my watch. At 0, I walk (or if I wake up after falling asleep).

Edit-

Not to get OT here, but Lucas has sworn that he was done and it was all over. However, franchises like Star Wars have a way of replicating themselves despite what directors claim and he's hinted that he has ideas for what he'd like to do "if" he decides to make 7-9, despite having sworn not to. In short, I'd say you can probably bet on it, but not for a while (at least, not until Lucas gets his "persuasive" check in the mail).
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

I for one hated it.. I'm not a huge fan of the first movies, but I think they were superior to these ones.

Regarding the Revenge of the Sith, I think it's awful. First of all, there are some holes in the story. I can't recall, but I remember talking to the guy next to me "what happened to X?". Then, Anakin just ... puf, I'm a bad guy. He is confused, he has his ideals and in a second he's on his knees swearing loyalty to a new master. Then, the humour. It's just out of place. R2 zapping droids? For heavens sake... The jumping R2? ... The whole movie is dense, tragedy can be felt right away. Oh, I forgot, the stupid and ridiculous: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" of Darth Vader...

I hated it... :(
Stillborn
Corsair

Post by Stillborn »

Well I have not seen the movie as of yet, darn sell out. But, I am getting the darth vader computer from alienware.

I'll see the movie over the weekend though.
"The next phase is going to transpire, the way it's suppose to transpire" Indian Larry

SDMF:
Society Dwelling Mother F*cker
Strength Determination Merciless Forever

StillBorn
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

The end was kind of cheesy, what with the frankenstein-esque bit there and the cry of despair from Vader was fairly laughable, but I found it to be a superb film all in all - on par with the original trilogy (but then again, I think my favorite overall is still Phantom Menace - so I may be compeltely off base ;) ).

I think though that everyone should go and try and get a copy of the star wars clone wars cartoon episodes (or as I like to call them, Espisode 2.5 ;) ) given that the end of those runs right into the beginning of Revenge of the Sith. It also helps to explain Grevous' absurd coughing - something I couldn't stop laughing at. !lol! That being said, after watching Clone Wars, I was sort of dissapointed with how Grevous wasn't nearly as kick ass as he should have been.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

I am a huge SW fan, having read almost all novels been written and I loved them all
Vorchild wrote:That being said, after watching Clone Wars, I was sort of dissapointed with how Grevous wasn't nearly as kick ass as he should have been.

Also one of my big dissapointments!
But all in all I loved the movie! Lucas manages IMO to not let the new trilogy die a silent death as the two last ones were below of what I had expected.
But the movie was great, the animations were good (atlleast of what I think, some of my friends disagree) and finally a SW movie which used it's potential of shoving new worlds. The other ones happened just on a few planets, with so few variations that a starship would be completely unnesescary.

But I also dislike several points of the movie, among them all the dialogs where Padmé is included. So filled with clichés that I believe you can find every line said in some other love movie.

Also it's like every scene was rushed through (except the Padme ones who where not fast enough!) where they did almost everything perfect, but just missed the last glitch. For example every battle scene is just about the jedi, and when they're done, everything goes just fine for the rest of the army/fleet. Another hour or two just to complete the movie off would not be bad IMO.
Among those points are also Anakins turn to the dark side, which is far to fast, and just making love the only excuse for the turn. Of course seeds to his turn are also plantet in Episode II where Shmi dies and Anakin's anger is released for the first real time.

The thing about Driods having funny dialogs are one of the things making the SW universe not so serious, as it shoud not be taken as. BUt my favorite droid line is still in Ep. II in the Arena where the Alcklay appears behind Obi-Wan and the a driod says: "Oh, oh". Second droid "Roger, Roger". it has to be seen to really understand it.

Thank you for clearing out the Boba Fett incidence. You are corect all the way (atleast of what I have read.) . There are sources both in the Han Solo trilogy and of course the Guidebook to all characters, and I think there's also a vague reference in the Shadow From the Past, but I am not sure. It really dissapointed me when Lucas went away from the original story.

But all in all, as a star wars fan,I read the novels when I want some perfect thought out plot and when I want to see some action, I watch the movies. The novels are way better IMO, simply because I love the in depth of the great universe. And of the novels, the Han Solo trilogy is my favorite. He is my favorite character in the movies, simply played perfect by Harrision Ford and the books of his young days as a hunted smuggler, gambler and deciever are just great.

And at last: no. Lucas will not make the 7+8+9 movies, simply because the the Star wars saga is about the Galactic civil war and the leading up to it, not the aftermath. And I don't think that money will make much of a difference. The guys has made about 15 billion $ on star wars and is by far the richest movie man ever. He has no need to ever do anything else in his life. Even though it would be cool if some computer animated movies came out, kinda like the Animatrix is to the Matrix universe, to explain more in depth the star wars universe.
Nice armor Tyrion. Did your husband make it for you?
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Nice varied responses from everyone its all good.

The Clone Wars cartoons are very well executed indeed.

For anyone who doesnt know here is a little bit of background on the amazing character that is General Grievous:

He was a military mastermind, commanding his armies to many victories on his homeworlds. There was some kind of civil war between two alien species. Note, he was just an alien back then - none of this cyborg jazz.
Anyway, Darth Sidious wanted him as the supreme commander of the droid armies, but he refused. So Sidious instigated a plan where by Grievous's personal shuttle would have an "unfortunate accident". This accident left Grievous's body wrecked, so Sidious offered to rebuild his body in exchange for him leading the droid armies. So General Grievous came to be as we see him in the film. He was trained in all forms of lightsaber combat (apart from the very simple form Obi-Wan uses - hence him being able to defeat Grievous) by Darth Tyranus (aka Count Dooku). He also likes to hunt Jedi for sport, usually killing them with ease. Theres an excellent scene in Labyrinth of Evil where he fights and kills 4 Jedi, pretty sweet.

I think Grievous lighting up all 4 Sabers is on par with Maul igniting his double blade in the hanger in Theed palace in Ep. 1.

The order 66 scenes where amazing I thought. Someone refered to the blue woman Jedi or something...shes Aayla Secura. I big fan favourite I believe.

Keep it coming people.

Xanros sinthel
Warrior

Post by Xanros sinthel »

I am sorry but i am a huge star wars fan and a Film Director and i have a few things to say. First this film was better then ep 1 or 2 but it wasnt anything it could be. First the Fight co-ordination was way off it wasnt anything it could have been. If you want to see what it should have been play ROTS on Xbox the moves you can do in that should have been used in this film. The opening scene was what everyone says it to be visually appealing.
I am a huge fan of SW dont get me wrong i have read everybook and i play the miniature game but i just thought Lucas could have made this so much better seeing as its his last SW film and its our last SW film. Ok lets skip a bit and get to the Vader Obiwan fight. This fight was SO underdone it should have been better then the Maul Qui Gon, Obi fight(Maul is my fav EVER!) Basically all that happened was Clash Clash Clash Talk Clash Clash Clash Talk Jump Clash Clash Clash yadda yadda i have the higher ground... It should have been so much more of a fight... for all Obi Wan knew Yoda was dead and he was the last one. The Yoda palpatine fight was awsome i loved that fight enough said

4 on 1 in the Chancellors office... i think the point of this was to combine Sidious moving like yoda with Mace's bad acting. Mace should have killed Palpatine but he resisted... i am sorry no Jedi would ever let a Sith Lord live if a Jedi can kill him. And we will see tee shirts "Mace was double teamed" I did like the Order 66 Scenes a little but Anakin cleanzing the Academy was better, if they wanted an R rating they would have shown you killing them.

I i am sorry to say really hated the Obi/Grevous fight sorry all and the wookies were kind of pointless only to give us a bit more backround on Chewy i feel. Overall its good to see because its the last one but i wouldnt see it more then twice...
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Whats with posting that 4 times!!! Delete a few of them man :)

Youve read every book? Right...

meh, I guess everyone cant be pleased, but when your as successfull film director as mr. Lucas you can come back here and let us know (and gimme some money!)

What didnt you like about Grievous vs Obi-Wan? Admittedly the duel was a lot cooler in the novel...

N'kari
Shade

Post by N'kari »

Well

the movie was more than ok; filled in a few gaps; also how the apparitions happen when yoda and obi wan die.

But there's still a big hole in the background of sidious.

Somethings got me a little bit on supprise:

Mace not finishing palpatine... (Palpatine is not a warrior but a sorcerer). Sith's are never allowed to live by the jedi...

Grievious almost killing a Jedi Master is ridiculous... droids can't handle the force unless shielded.

Clones finishing Jedi killing machines with some stupid gunfire.....

And some more I read here boba fett escaping sarlac: things i read on it is that he couldn't be digested in that suit and made to much amok inside the creature and was spitt out....
Also Vader uses boba fett quite a lot for dirty jobs (the have a business agreement) so for the clone thing is perfectly agreeable. (althought the original story state otherwise)

But non the less the movie was a blast
If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!
"belgian politician"

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.