Revenge of the Sith

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

What did you think?

Excellent, on par with the original trilogy.
61%
Good, but the original trilogy is still better
32%
Not bad. A good film, similar to Eps 1 & 2
7%

Total votes: 75

Vulcrist
Executioner

Post by Vulcrist »

Asperon Thorn wrote:
the colour of the lightsabre is determined by the various crystals used in it's construction, in some of the books it describes how they are made and what effect different crystals have on the colour and length of the blade, "I, Jedi" for one

Unfortunately, anything you know from the books doesn't fly. Lucas has already thrown complete disregard to the books, even plotlines from games from his own LucasArts. So I am more inclined to believe that "metaclorians" determine lightsaber color more than anything.

Asperon Thorn

Yeah, though the EU stuff might be interesting (though very little of it is to me), its all up to Lucas when it comes to "real" SW stuff. Hope he doesn't exert that much control over the TV series ;)

Vulcrist
Asperon thorn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Asperon thorn »

Well I actually like all the expanded Universe stuff BETTER than anything Lucas has put out. In fact it all made the original trilogy more interesting to me. A lot of authors would take something that had screen time of .05 seconds and then make a whole new story and somehow fit that in.

If they made a final trilogy, I could only hope that they take the Timothy Zahn books and make them verbatim. Keep Lucas's hands off the script. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one of my favorite characters (Honestly, who doesn't like that guy) He also made appearances in Tie Fighter and Rebellion, both LucasArts games.

Aspeorn Thorn
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

The EU stuff is technically all official fluff as it were, when GL gave the go ahead to all the writers, he basically said that as long as everything was chronologically correct, he didn't mind what happened and he'd take it as official.

Because there is so much EU stuff after the OT I don't really think it is possible to make another trilogy unless you went for an adaptation of some of the books, in which case I vote for either the original Thrawn trilogy or the X-wing series.

Yub yub comander!
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Racheth_the_slayer
Shade

Star wars

Post by Racheth_the_slayer »

The film is amazing but does anyone have some background on maul, dooku and vader were jedi's but what was maul. i hope Lucas makes a 7,8 & 9 but i dont know how he will. Why did the jedi who ordered the clones not tell the council. Please awnser these questions
Shinobi
Beastmaster

Post by Shinobi »

N'Kari wrote:Grievious almost killing a Jedi Master is ridiculous... droids can't handle the force unless shielded.

Grievous isn't droid...And besides, it's not impossible to handle lightsabre, you just need skill, and Grievous's droid bodu grants good base for that...
Nozomeru Hei, tatakau mono, kaijin wo hari, retsu wo tukutte, mae ni ari

"Confronting Soldiers, Ones that battle, everybody making a formation, making
a row, and is present in front".
The Mighty Chat wrote:Ignorance is a virtue
Shinobi
Beastmaster

Re: Star wars

Post by Shinobi »

Racheth_the_slayer wrote:The film is amazing but does anyone have some background on maul, dooku and vader were jedi's but what was maul. i hope Lucas makes a 7,8 & 9 but i dont know how he will. Why did the jedi who ordered the clones not tell the council. Please awnser these questions

1. Maul, dooku and Vader are all lords of the sith.

2. The jedi's that ordered the clones were propably Dooku and Sidious, as they needed army to fullfill the plan they had to overthrow the galaxy.
If your plannign to conquer galaxy, telling it to everyone is little stupid 'ey?;)
Nozomeru Hei, tatakau mono, kaijin wo hari, retsu wo tukutte, mae ni ari

"Confronting Soldiers, Ones that battle, everybody making a formation, making
a row, and is present in front".
The Mighty Chat wrote:Ignorance is a virtue
Ewok
Beastmaster

Post by Ewok »

Best fragments were IMHO "execute order 66" and Sidious going medieval on 4 Jedi Masters... I just can't stop to admire strategical genius of Sidious, no Jedi (except Yoda who felt disturbance in the force, and Kenobi who just got lucky) is capable of surviving blaster volley in the back... Also it is so wonderfully Druchii plot... backstabbing at its finest :)
The thing I don't like the most was seeing Death Star construction at the end, did they built it for 20 years?
Dagger in the dark is worth thousand swords at dawn
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

does anyone have some background on maul, dooku and vader were jedi's but what was maul.

1. Maul, dooku and Vader are all lords of the sith.

I think he understands this, just wants the back story for Maul.

"No one is quite sure how Darth Sidious found him. He was once a Zabrak from Iridonia. When he became Sith his identity was erased. His devotion was so great he had his body covered in those Sith Tatoos (which as you can imagine stung a bit). He was raised to be a deadly weapon.

Maul was given many secret missions to stay below the Jedi's radar, mostly assassinations of those that stood in the way of his masters grand plan. His greatest feet being the infiltration of the Black Sun (the biggest crime syndicate in the galaxy).

Check out http://www.starwars.com/databank/character for more information.

The thing I don't like the most was seeing Death Star construction at the end, did they built it for 20 years?

Probably more given they had what we can only assume to be the complete design (else they had a large globe with a dent in the middle, wandering what they could do with it).
It may of been completed before IV, it is hard to distinguish from a small moon so could of been hidden.

They must of hit some seriouse technical difficulties on the first design, the second was up and "fully operational" in a few years.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

The first one had it's superlaser working, but it hadn't been finished, it was only two thirds done. There was still a hell of a lot of work that they would have had to have done to finish the second one off. It would have been about 4-5 years more work to get it completely finished.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Narathiel
Rudolph's Heir

Post by Narathiel »

I think this film is really good.

It has what you want and expect in a star wars movie-lots (almost too much) light saber duels, and many space traffic + war.

If you are smart, however, you will find out that much of the movie is just a bit wrong. Yes, the movie is science-fiction but still..
-Obi Wan loosing to Duko and then killing Grievous and beating Anakin.. (already been said)
-the space traffic was arranged in lines if you looked at it closely (too much work otherwise?)
-Obi Wan not dieing from the humongous fall which order 66 resulted in, with him
-Space ships taking much too much damage from super-laser-cannons beofre getting destroyed. Today an atomic bomb can already kill whole cities. In this time they should have long developed mega-damaging bombs and lasers against not even the best protection can help.

(just mentioning a few)

But as most of us just watch the movie for the fights and the whole stories which are all great I still think this movie is superb!

BTW: (sorry if this is kind of off-topic)
What do you guys think about the xbox (and PS2) game: The revenge of the sith? Is it buy worthy if you are only the "kind-of" star wars fan?
Because when reading the reviews over the web it sounds much too short and they say, soon you won't play it anymore. However, when renting the game for 5 hours I found out it was really fun and challenging. Also are the multiplayer modes worth it?
Feedback appreciated
Yeah, been a long time and I have come across all sort of ****.

but I AM back so there you go-it's official ;)
It seems like the assassin sent out to eliminate me failed.
[insert evil laughter]
Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

-Obi Wan not dieing from the humongous fall which order 66 resulted in, with him

he most likely used the force to slow down his fall, like Anakin did in Ep II when he jumped out the speeder. Most jedis would be able to do that.

-Space ships taking much too much damage from super-laser-cannons beofre getting destroyed. Today an atomic bomb can already kill whole cities. In this time they should have long developed mega-damaging bombs and lasers against not even the best protection can help.

Who say they don't? We don't know what the ships are made of, most likely somethiing far more powerfull than we have here. Just look at the fall of the command ship Obi-wan and Anakin. Any material we have would have been fried in a matter of seconds and the pitiful remains crushed when they hit the ground.
Nice armor Tyrion. Did your husband make it for you?
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

Probably more given they had what we can only assume to be the complete design (else they had a large globe with a dent in the middle, wandering what they could do with it).
It may of been completed before IV, it is hard to distinguish from a small moon so could of been hidden.

What does not come across easily at the end of the movie is the time change. The Imperial Navy uniforms are evident, and no clones are there. There are no non-humans either. The Victory-Class Star Destroyers are all painted IMperial Grey, and do not have republic colours at all. The time it would take to outfit entire fleets like that (there are a few ships there at the end) is quite big. There is probably a shift of something like a copuple years there at the end, where now the Empire has an iron grip on the galaxy, and have started completing the Death Star.
Likely, the Death Star took years to finish due to the actual structure flaws having to be fixed as they go, plus designing the Superlaser would take a long time, likely those 20 years. The second one would be finished faster due to them already knowing haw to do it, and the design flaws already worked out. And, who knows? maybe they were constructing the 2nd one before the first was blown up, right?
Rork wrote:Because you are bound to turn up to battle dressed as a Christmas tree. I don't like people who condone the trade in Fir.

I'm back! But so very tired...
Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

Many good points Jhaelrnya. I also thought the last shot happened a few years after the beginning of Ep III. Exelent observations, I would not have been able myself to prove the point that good.
And at last: The shot was made to mark the new era beginning and as the Death Star was a sign of the reign of fear and terror Palpatine led, it is an exelent sign of the following Imperial era
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

And, who knows? maybe they were constructing the 2nd one before the first was blown up, right?

That was my first thought but the *"Little do they know the Empire has begun construction on a new DEATH STAR, even more powerful then the first" at the start of Jedi made me think otherwise.

I did not get the time difference, I must not of been looking close enough.

*The crawl says something close to this anyway
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

That's one thing Lucas takes a bit too much liberty with; time. It seems like at some points, he skips a day between scenes and at others, he skips a month. I guess he doesn't put a lot of value on time, which makes it kind of hard to follow unless you've read the books I guess. :roll:
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Kin'eleth
Executioner

Post by Kin'eleth »

the best of them all. first screenings, i went to opening day LOTR 3. it was amazing. amyway, star wars 3 was amazing. what was Yoda talking about at the end when he told obi-wan about talking to quigon-gin? i didnt wuite understand that. general grievious was awesome! with 4 lightsabers! word. R2-D2 was funny, killing those 2 droids in the beginning. we didnt see much of C3PO though. . .
despair.com for all your demotivating needs!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny..... (I think you know it by now)
Neanderthal05
Executioner

Post by Neanderthal05 »

Who say they don't? We don't know what the ships are made of, most likely somethiing far more powerfull than we have here. Just look at the fall of the command ship Obi-wan and Anakin. Any material we have would have been fried in a matter of seconds and the pitiful remains crushed when they hit the ground.

They are made of Gundanium.

It wasn't bad but everyone knows the only reason for watching any of the second trilogy(1,2,3) is Natalie Portman
Well, at least all of your arm waving and arcane babbling was impressive.
Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

what was Yoda talking about at the end when he told obi-wan about talking to quigon-gin

What I understood it as Qui-gon Jinn could return in the same manner as Obi-wan could in the old trilogy.

It wasn't bad but everyone knows the only reason for watching any of the second trilogy(1,2,3) is Natalie Portman

Correct (especially with that tight body suit she wears in Ep. II) but when she is pregnant the fact chabges a little. I had hoped to see some action from her ;)
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

Hey, my secret is out! It is common knowledge I only watch Ep 1 and 2 (mostly 2) for Natalie Portman. The "strategically ripped" white skin tight number is my favourite...

What I understood it as Qui-gon Jinn could return in the same manner as Obi-wan could in the old trilogy.

That is what I got form that as well. It seems it was Qui-Gon Jinn who first figured out that when you become one with the force, you cna visit those you had a strong connection with afterwards for a short period of time. Ben visits Luke right up until the day after the 2nd Death Star is blown up. Anikan learns it as well, as he visits Leia. Thing is, why didn't Yoda visit Luke afterwards, if he tought Ben it? Odd really.
Rork wrote:Because you are bound to turn up to battle dressed as a Christmas tree. I don't like people who condone the trade in Fir.

Asperon thorn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Asperon thorn »

Thing is, why didn't Yoda visit Luke afterwards, if he tought Ben it?

They were all there at the end of Return of the Jedi. Visiting Luke.

Asperon Thorn
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

Sorry, didn't clarify that real well. I meant in the Eu books. Yoda appears at the end to show Anikan is good now, but neer actually converses with Luke.

Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

Thing is, why didn't Yoda visit Luke afterwards, if he tought Ben it? Odd really.

He might have thought that Ben would do it, as he thought they had a better connection (maybe not, through my understanding Luke spent more time with Yoda under his trainning, but Luke still sees Obi-wan as a kind of father to him). This would also be a way for Obi-wan to make up for his failure of training Anakin.

And yes. they were all at last in RotJ, but that was a new scene from 1999 or something like that, which was just added to the new DVD set. The reason for the late addition is maybe that they needed hayden christensen to be in the scene.
Mielkith
Assassin

Post by Mielkith »

Saw it again last night (it was worth it) and followed up on some rumours I have been hearing. As Anakin and Obi-Wan return Palpatine to the senators check out the Millenium Falcon making a landing in the bottom of the screen.
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

Ha, either that's Lando (the original owner of the ship) when he's a teenager, or someone just "happens to have" a Corellian YT-1300 Frieghter in the galactic senate...

One thing I would like to note: The Expanded Universe books (ie anything that is not the original trilogy) are complete and utter "real" fluff. They are copywrited by Lucasfilm, and are therefore all ok'd by GL and considered "official".

And yes. they were all at last in RotJ, but that was a new scene from 1999 or something like that, which was just added to the new DVD set. The reason for the late addition is maybe that they needed hayden christensen to be in the scene.

That was in the original, but it was the actor who played Darth Vader in the actual costume (not James Earl Jones) who was in it. The Special Edition DVD's released in the last year were digitally modified to have Anikan's appearance altered more to look like Hayden Christiansen. Kind of a kick in the nuts for the original actor.

Kane
Black Guard

Post by Kane »

Ha, either that's Lando (the original owner of the ship) when he's a teenager, or someone just "happens to have" a Corellian YT-1300 Frieghter in the galactic senate...

Actually the Correlian Yt-1300 Looks slightly different than the Millenium Falcon. It couldn't have been LAndo as he first wins it in a game of sabaac (surprised?) about year -6 or someting like that and then losses it to Han in a Sabaac tournament on Bespin about a year or two later.

That was in the original, but it was the actor who played Darth Vader in the actual costume (not James Earl Jones) who was in it. The Special Edition DVD's released in the last year were digitally modified to have Anikan's appearance altered more to look like Hayden Christiansen. Kind of a kick in the nuts for the original actor

Oh, yeah, that's right. David Prowse is in that scene in the old one. Just noticed on my old VHS set. Thanks for notifying me. Yeah. It would have been a kick in the groin for him, but as he was not an actor, but a body builder, maybe he won't take it that personal... Let's hope for him he doesn't
Last edited by Kane on Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.