Linux Distributions

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Linux Distributions

Post by Anaryin »

First of all, hey to all. It's been a loong time since I came here:) Glad to see the site is still the same and running.

Now to serious things. I'm sick of Windows. The reasons are plenty and I don't want to go back. Excluding MAC OS for obvious reasons, I tried to download and try Linux out. I've already tried:

- Mandriva 2005 LE
- Caixa Magica (a portuguese distribution)
- Kubuntu
- Suse

Problems with them all..

Mandriva

Nice but buggy. Can't install KDE 3.5 with it, can't install lots of other stuff in it.. keeps saying stuff's missing and when I install it, bugs appear everywhere. Probably my mistake, but I decided to put it away.

Kubuntu

Very nice distro. Really nice. Only one problem. Can't add users easily, can't login as root easily, slow as hell...

SUSE

Can't get my modem working...

---

So, I'm open to new options. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Motionlotion
Beastmaster

Post by Motionlotion »

i highly recomend Slackware. its not very nice to new users, but it teaches you a lot. Plus its an amazing flavor.

Also, i hear good things about Fedora Core 4, havent played with it much myself.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I find Xandros 3 a good one. It's very windows-like in terms of its interface, so migration won't be a problem, and if you get the full version off some filesharing network, then you get something called Crossover Office with it, which will allow you to run around 95% of all Windows programs in Linux without any messing around (not the latest games though, but office stuff, photoshop and almost any "standard" application will run just fine)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

I started with Slackware. As MotionLotion said, it may not be exactly what people call userfriendly[1], but it really made me learn. However, I am not exactly happy with current trend of this distribution (droping GNOME, and especially gnumeric etc.), and I do not have the time for solving software dependencies and updates, which I had some years ago. So, when I finally gather money for a new computer, it will run on Debian. I have quite good experience with Debian on both server and desktop installations.

[1]: Contrary to what many people think, Linux is user friendly. But, as any wise human, it is selective in choosing its friends ;-)
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

I do have Slackware here, 4 cds.. Tbh, it scared the hell out of me when I tried to install it. As for environments, I prefer KDE over Gnome. I just prefer it.. Had an experience with Gnome and didn't like it at all :S

As for Xandros, DP, never heard of it. IS it gnome-based or kde-based, or somethingelse-based? How easy is it for begginers?

Thanks all :)

Hugs and kisses*
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Anaryin wrote:As for environments, I prefer KDE over Gnome. I just prefer it..

So do I. (Well, actually I prefer AfterStep...) But you will eventually want to install both, because you will want some software which needs gnome libraries.
Tenebrae
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Tenebrae »

I know it isn't a linux, but have you tried/considered FreeBSD?
Unit strengths and bases are covered here.
Updates are here.
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, FreeBSD.. I heard of it, read about it, but never really got round to know what it was. I suppose it's another UNIX based system. I want to stay within the Linux boundaries, but thanks for the advice all the same :)

Regarding the distro, I chose Kubuntu once again. Slackware really scared the hell our of me. I need to learn a little more about this stuff before I dwelve in something so complicated. I decided to go back to Kubuntu because it's just one CD and because I finally managed to install what I wanted in it without any major problems: KDE3.5, GTKpod, firefox, etc etc. Those n00b things that I love :) Anyways, I took your advices in consideration and I'm downloading other distros so that I can test them whenever I want. I'll try to get Xandros as you advise DP, as well as FC4 because it seems quite nice. I think I'll pass Debian because Kubuntu is, from what I've read, quite similar. I still have to learn some things like customizing the desktop (KDE), creating windows and icons and stuff to suit my tastes. If you can help me out or point me to some links/forums/etc, do so to my email adress Anaryin@gmail.com

To all who answered, thanks!

Darkprincess, glad to see you're still around. Hope everything is fine with the CoP.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Anaryin wrote:Darkprincess, glad to see you're still around. Hope everything is fine with the CoP.

Yeah I'm still here - been a bit inactive in recent months but I'm trying to get on top of things again now...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Anaryin wrote:Well, FreeBSD.. I heard of it, read about it, but never really got round to know what it was. I suppose it's another UNIX based system.

It is a unix system, not like linux, which just tries to look like one ;-)

Slackware really scared the hell our of me. I need to learn a little more about this stuff before I dwelve in something so complicated.

Actually, Slackware is probably the least complicated of all the distributions mentioned here, which is probably what scared you ;-) No package management, no automated system configuration, just a pure unix-like approach. That's why it is so good for learning - you have to do the configuration yourself and there is no wizard or tool to help you (or stand in a way).

Anyway, one more advice. What ever distribution you will choose, buy a book about linux and read it. Or attend a beginner course. Or both ;-) It will help you to overcome the initial confusion, and once you will understand, how the system works, you will find it very easy and systematic. And so configurable, that those poor windows users cannot even imagine it ;-)