So I'm thinking about buying a Mac...

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

So I'm thinking about buying a Mac...

Post by Darkadon »

To preface this, I am not the most computer literate person, so keep things in layman's terms for me.

I have been considering switching from PC to Mac for the past while but don't know that much about computers to know all the pros and cons. The reason I would switch to a Mac are the multimedia programs (specifically garageband) and the fact that I've never heard a Mac owner (not that I know many) complain about viruses.

There are a few things I am worried about though. MS Office is one of them. If I use Word, Excel, or Powerpoint at work, when I take things home, is there a similar program on a Mac that would allow me to open and use those files? What about transferring all my files from my old PC, would I be able to open and use them in a Mac? Even though I am not a big gamer, would games like NHL 2K7 or Civilization IV still work on them?

If there's anybody out there that can help me out with this, that would be much appreciated. When it comes to computers, all I know is how to download stuff, type resumes, and go to D.Net, so I really need the help.

Cheers,

Darkadon
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I am running a Mac at this moment. Word/Excel/Powerpoint all come in Mac versions that share the same file format as the PC versions, so you should be fine there.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Like DT said: Office exists for Mac.
Also, any Mac comes with a set of software (which can chose to install or not) which allow you to do all basic stuff with the internet, mail, multimedia.
You should get an iLife package with it as well, which gives you some programs for creating multimedia:
making music (Garageband), editing movies, storing foto albums, and the like.

As for games... well, a Mac has a limited range of supported games. Civilisation is one of them, but of NHL I only found "NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2007". For a complete list of supported games, you can go here:
http://www.apple.com/games/articles/
A long list but nowhere near the range of games for any other platform ;)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

Speaking as one that recently switched to a Mac from a PC, you should also be aware that the Mac will not support the Lonewolf army builder programs, and Lone Wolf does not produce a Mac-specific package. (a bit of a rude surprise for me).
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

garageband is a very poor programme, there are better ones out there. i use macs and i have found that macs are far superior when it comes to running graphic based things like photoshop or illustrator

pc are better at performance in gaming, so if you are an avid gamer it may be worth thinking twice before buying.

also i am afraid to say that if you do gt a problem you have to deal with the retards at the apple shop. and by god they are thick
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Generally I found that most problems (few as they were) were best solved by surfing support groups on the net.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Nathan mcduck
Warrior

Post by Nathan mcduck »

a Mac has a limited range of supported games. Civilisation is one of them

But keep in mind that you can't use the windows version of civ4 you have to buy the mac version. Same with Office etc.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

That is true, though some games come with both installers, such as Diablo 2, WoW and for some games you may download the installer such as for Quake 2, 3 etc.

- The stiff breeze
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

Blizzard has always supported macs so any of there games you can expect run just fine.

However games is really no longer an issue of that happens to be your problem.
Since any new mac you buy now is going to be an intel mac you have the options of partitioning your hardrive and running Boot Camp or Parrells.

Which will either allow you to boot into windows on your mac instead of booting to Mac OS (using boot camp).
Or with parrells you can run both simultanesouly, which will take up much more CPU power - considering your running 2 OS's at once - so gaming is not suggested while doing this but if you do not want to rebuy software you have on your PC for your Mac you can run MS Office with not problems. Or any of the Exe's that are found around that would not run on your mac nativley. Also it is great for programs that have a mac version but the PC version is just simply better, I.E. Ventrilo.

As for Viruses Macs are inherently a little bit safer then PC's really the biggest benefit is that 90%+ of the market uses PC's and something like 5% uses Macs. So generally people just don't waste their time trying to infect the vast minority
viruses, when they have a simpiler and easier alternative.

Transferring Documents from PC to Mac works just fine. However, just like you can not transfer applications form PC to PC you also can not transfer applications from PC to Mac. Macs however do allow easy transfer of applications from Mac to Mac. The pesky registar on PC's is quite limiting.
Darkadon

Post by Darkadon »

I'm not too worried about the games since I don't have many or play them that often. I was more concerned about transfer of files back and forth from Mac to PC, but if that's not an issue, then it looks like my next computer will be a Mac.

Thanks for all the info y'all :)
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

I just switched to a Mac from PC too, after the intel chip computers came out. Initially, not having Windows was a pain when I found certain programs only came in PC format.

Now, I can have my cake and eat it too (for free!)-
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

pmpn8ez wrote:Now, I can have my cake and eat it too (for free!)-
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Well, you still technically have to purchase Windows, unless if it involves pinching the disc from your old PC ;).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Re: So I'm thinking about buying a Mac...

Post by Kramandire »

Darkadon wrote:There are a few things I am worried about though. MS Office is one of them. If I use Word, Excel, or Powerpoint at work, when I take things home, is there a similar program on a Mac that would allow me to open and use those files? What about transferring all my files from my old PC, would I be able to open and use them in a Mac? Even though I am not a big gamer, would games like NHL 2K7 or Civilization IV still work on them?

I have been using both PC's and Macintoshes since 1986 and still do to this day.

Not only does Macintosh have a version of Microsoft Offices its a Better Product the PC Version.

You will have NO problems moving Files back and forth.. Just get a Flash drive.. I do it daily.

Keep your Windows install disc when you throw the PC away.

Personally I say Screw Bootcamp you have to reboot to enter windows, of course it is free.. My suggestion is to get parallels. Install Windows in it with your saved install disk..(also you can install ANY PC OS in Parallels)

Parallels will allow you to run the latest games at just about the same speed as its PC counterpart. And it Now runs all the latest 3d shooters with the most recent update.

BTW Armybuilder will run fine in either Bootcamp or Parallels.

I still use my PC, right now it a iTunes music Server for my Macintosh network. Mmm Slave computers (Thats kinda Druchii right?)

The Mac OS will not be any harder to learn than the Vista :twisted: upgrade.

I think once you get New Macintosh home you will not look back.
Death before dishonor.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Kramandire wrote:Not only does Macintosh have a version of Microsoft Offices its a Better Product the PC Version.

Hmm, by the looks of it Office 2004 isn't quite as good as 2007 since 2004 still uses the "old school" menu layout (icons and the file/edit/etc.).

It's being slightly pedantic, but 2007 really is an impressive step forward from 2003.

/minor observation

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have yet to try the new Office version but its reputation seems to preceed it. It's a good thing really! I always found the old office menu's etc a bit bloated. It almost makes me look forward to trying out Office 07. Still, if I really were to chose which text-editor I would use, it would be Tex-shop 9 times out of 10.

- The stiff breeze
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kramandire »

Rork wrote:
Kramandire wrote:Not only does Macintosh have a version of Microsoft Offices its a Better Product the PC Version.

Hmm, by the looks of it Office 2004 isn't quite as good as 2007 since 2004 still uses the "old school" menu layout (icons and the file/edit/etc.).

It's being slightly pedantic, but 2007 really is an impressive step forward from 2003.

/minor observation

I have used 2007, 2004 is better, that new interface is horrible (Microsoft trying to be innovative again...) but there again some people like vista too.
Death before dishonor.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Kramandire wrote:I have used 2007, 2004 is better, that new interface is horrible (Microsoft trying to be innovative again...) but there again some people like vista too.

I was pretty jaded towards all word processors and such - I'd been using Office 97 for the best part of 10 years, and got 2007 as I would be doing a bit more work, and it seemed like a good idea to upgrade.

I wasn't expecting much from 2007, but after using it I found it much more intuitive than the 'traditional' interface that was common to almost all office suits.

If you want to do a lot of work with page layout (say), you can keep that menu available all the time without constantly going to a drop down menu to fiddle around with the settings. In the beginning it's quite a lot to deal with because it's so different - you get used to the standard layout and Office 2007 challenges how you use the word processor or the spreadsheet.

It may not be for everyone, but it's an evolution of the menu system not a devolution. But there again, some people will knock microsoft no matter what they try to do.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kramandire
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kramandire »

Rork wrote:
It may not be for everyone, but it's an evolution of the menu system not a devolution. But there again, some people will knock microsoft no matter what they try to do.

I think most people will agree that "Tabs" eerr ribbons is not a Evolution.

Microsoft has made some great evolutions like adding a 2nd button to a mouse, their Natural Keyboard is by far the best keyboard on the market. They flight simulator is pretty cool.

Then of course there was BOB.
Death before dishonor.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Ohh yeah! Bob was cool ;)

- The stiff breeze