Joining the army

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darkblade7
Dark Rider

Joining the army

Post by Darkblade7 »

just thought id share this with you all:

Well i finally decided between my options what i want to do with my life, however long that may turn out to be ;) Im currently a cadet and in January (aged 16 still) i should be headed off to Army Training Regiment Bassingbourn here in England. Im running that course of phase 1 training for a year and then moving up into phase two somewhere else.

Anyone else in the armed forces around here?

"Above all you must learn to be merciless, for we cannot allow weakness while traitors still hold our ancestral lands"
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Not now, but once upon a time.

You will find that for the rest of your life you will be able to make use of the things that the military is teaching you. I won't lie: it's going to be really hard at times, but you can spend the rest of your life knowing that you made a difference. Even if you don't get the direct opportunity to rid the world of some of the animals that want to destroy our way of life, you still making a huge difference.

Best of luck to you. And thanks for your service.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

I remember when I was 16 and decided that I wanted to join the armed forces, when I was 17 and signed on to the Marine Corps, when I was 20 and transfered in to the Army in order to be stationed in West Germany, and when I was 25 and completely finished with all commitments to the armed services. Good luck with your endeavour, I would rather be the one pushing the toy soldiers around than be the toy soldier at the whim of the political machine that runs my country, good luck none the less.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Come February(ish), I shall be leaving to join the US Air Force. As of now, I don't know whether or not I want to go career or just for my 4 years, but I will at least get a degree out of it, plus some decent training for a good job.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Temper of khaine
Warrior

Post by Temper of khaine »

Im from canada, should be within the next few years joining the parachute regiment (United Kingdom), see you there.
Last edited by Temper of khaine on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nos es Vox Liberi of Deus" Latin: We are the rightful Children of God
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Temper of Khaine wrote:Whether you like it or not warfare shapes the world, it has and always will, and he/she never said that doctors or nurses dont make a difference. This is about someone offering to put their life on the line so people such as yourself dont have to worry about so many of the worlds problems at home. If I were you id show a bit more respect. If your some docile little hippie so be it, but dont come in here challanging what this person is doing for you, just so that you can feel special.

You could also say, that the politic ideas, which are sometimes enforced by the military as you stated in your first sentence, endanger people in their homeland.
A doctor or paramedic also risks his life by endangering himself to certain diseases or behaviours of patients which they come along in their line of work. A friend of mine works as a doctor in emergency and they do get threats of physical violence and more.

Mind you I've been in the military myself for two years and I agree that at least here in Germany you are sometimes the a** just for being in the military. Being given the Nazi greeting just for walking around dress uniform was the harshest i got. :shock:

@Darkblade7:
The best to you, enjoy your time and get back in one piece!
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Cenyu wrote:Here was flamebait...

Even if the only thing the army teaches you is some discipline and a straight back, it's done its job.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Darkblade7
Dark Rider

Post by Darkblade7 »

Yes a nurse, paramdeic, doctor deserve respect but as do soldiers. I dont see who was over glorifying the army in the first place the comment you made seemed to come out of nowhere, everything said before you was true.

Im not doing it for any other reason than i want to anyway. It will be hard but rewarding and i get to dress in camo and fire guns ;) Always wanted to do that 24/7

"Above all you must learn to be merciless, for we cannot allow weakness while traitors still hold our ancestral lands"
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

Well, as Damnation just said, this thread isn't really going the right way, and therefore I'll lock it. At least until I have discussed things with my co-mod. Probably forever though, 'cause to be honest, it seems that this will turn into a flamewar anytime soon.

-Lyhne
Off-topic and Warhammer Fantasy Discussion Moderator
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

Thread unlocked. I removed a great deal of posts, seeing that they were all in some ways offensive. Now I will ask you all to keep discussing this in a nice way.
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

I joined the australian army when i was 17 and ended up doing 12 years instead of the 4 i originally planned on.

I wont lie to you some of the c**p you have to put up with can be annoying but most of us lived by the motto of "dry your eyes and harden up sunshine"

but on the bright side it also financed some absolulely awsome parties and a couple of piss trips around australia. and you end up remembering the good times more than the bad.
Hope you have a good a time as i did.
you don't know the power of the darkside
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Good luck mate, sorry I don't have anything else to say, but hell, it can get very rough in the army, my brother for instance now suffers from insomnia and he was given leave from the army for a couple of months, but please do not let this turn you away, I just don't want anyone else to go through what my brother does.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

Excellent choice you have made just remember that it is your choice. Everyone has to do something and whats cool about the Free World is we can choose whatever we want. The military is an honored institution which protects us from the chaos. No matter what happens, you will make a difference as a soldier.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.
Darkblade7
Dark Rider

Post by Darkblade7 »

Thanks. Well im joining the infantry regiment as your basic soldier and i have a careers guide now they put it down as combat, manual and travel. Should be loads of fun but hard work at the same time, very rewarding though. Ill still be round here til chrsitmas though :roll:

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Thank you for what you are doing. Good luck, and be safe.

Iv thought about joining the army when Im a bit older but at the moment I dont think I will because of the reasons we are fighting. Aka Iraq, Afganistan etc.

But again good luck :D
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

...I dont think I will because of the reasons we are fighting. Aka Iraq, Afganistan...
I can't imagine a better reason.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Aenarin
Shade

Post by Aenarin »

Good luck man, I personally hope that the wars going on stop before I get old enough to join the army, I am in no way tough enough. Thanks a ton for doing something I could never do myself, you make your country proud.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Ok NO POLITICS! Is that clear to everyone! We are watching this thread closely and will act if we see any more politics ok?

If you feel the urge to discuss politics take a cold shower!
Temper of khaine
Warrior

Post by Temper of khaine »

I have to say this, Except for certain completly unacceptable things (causing armaggedon things like that, that basically dont happen) a fact of joining up is that you must go into a life of very hard knocks. DO NOT join up if you don't want to enter combat. It would be like a carpenter that is afraid of nails or something....

(MODS notice how I did not actually include politics in what I said).
"Nos es Vox Liberi of Deus" Latin: We are the rightful Children of God
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

Having National Service in Sweden I did 18 months, and was considering a tour in Bosnia -94 or to continue in the Swedish armed forces. But decided against it.
While I enjoyed the army life in general, I figured out that what I did enjoy I could get other ways.
The army helped me find myself in some ways and I'm always going to appreciate that, it also ironed out a few of the bad things that needed out of me. It was a good experience.

My problem was partly that since Sweden hasn't been involved in a war for about 200 years we are not used to die for our country. And carrying the coffin, draped in the Swedish flag, of a friend from the same regiment as me when he was killed in Bosnia helped me decide not to continue.
I'm glad for this decision since the cut of the armed forces in Sweden has been quite drastic the last decade.

Don't get me wrong, it was great being in the army, but in the end I decided not to do a career out of it. Partly because you can get killed... No disrespect, I admire the people that have the dedication, and I respect everyone in the armed forces.
I wish you the best of luck, and take care.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Darkblade7
Dark Rider

Post by Darkblade7 »

I know what is involved and required for the armed forces, including the risks and expectations. I know i will quite literally be signing my life up to the army until i am given a chance to leave, reach a certain age, or even i am KIA. And no, im not scared of combat, and yes i know its very real and nothing like what you see on TV or video games. But thats what i want to do. Im not the office job type for one thing, and i love doing all the drills and army stuff we curently do as an army cadet.

I'll be at Army Training Regiment Bassingbourn january-september 2008 and after that 32 week period of basic training i am given the choice to continue somewhere else, or leave and not sign up to the army. So for now, i am going to there and seeing how it goes, but i already know unless something drastically changes my mind i am signing up next year. As many of you who have been in army said there may be a reason for me to want leave later on in my career but Ill have to deal with that when the time comes.

As well as all that i do also have people, particulaly one (should be engaged by the time i finish my full time training for few years), that i would be leaving behind if i did go abroad which would most likely be the case. They all give me support though and say i should do what i want to do. And i fully intent to do my best to come home to them eventually ;)