I don't know how it could be done

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

I don't know how it could be done

Post by Layne »

I don't know how it could be done, other than to suggest that any dnet member who reads this might consider it a mark of respect to observe a minute's silence on behalf of those who have suffered. At the time of this writing, the number of people who have died in the fires raging across the southern Australian state of Victoria is eighty five, It's expected to get worse. Which is to say, the likely final total is much higher, but it takes time to... count.

Anyway, if you feel inclined to observe a minute's silence, in your own home, in your own country, on your own honour, no one will ever know. Yet I feel somehow it would help.

Thank you.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

Yeah. It seems to be much worse than the last set of fires we had. Not sure how many years back, maybe two or three, we had fires going for... absolutely ages and for a very brief period much closer to my town(10 kms or so, although there was never any feeling of imminent danger). But these fires seem to has spread much faster, much more numerously and intensely. Yesterday afternoon we were gettin sooted on rather heavily, of course night came an hour earlier than usual. This morning we were cleaning burnt leaves that the breeze had carried us from the distant fires from our cars and varandah. Seems a bit trivial compared to the 700+ homes lost and 85+ lives lost. The loss of livestock will also be terrible, last time there were reports of the hooves of cattle melting onto the road as they ran from the fire.

Not a happy time for many and especially for the towns of Kingsford and Maryvale, there is only a few houses left in each town from what I heard. I'm just thankful that we didn't build a house in the bush.
Lextalionis
Shade
WS:5 S:2 T:4 D:5 I:3
Basic Stealth. Stealth. Precision Shot. Rapid Fire. Acrobatics
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

You have a minute of silence from me. I have friends in Australia, and I know how terrible these things are. Well, everything that gives people pain, is terrible. But, you have my minute. I only hope noone on d.net is directly affected.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I know on saturday the wind in melbourne was ridiculous, I could barely walk into it and that was with a temp of 46 degrees away from the coast. I remember thinking "this is going to be bad."

I'm going to donate blood today for the burn victims.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

A minute's silence from me as well. In South Australia we haven't been hit that hard, but similar to Rabidnid we had 40+ degrees and storms but there was only one more or less minor fire incident, and now the temperatures are down to 20 again. When reading the news I really do gain a sense of just how lucky we got around Adelaide and I can't help but wonder how long it's going to last.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Now 181 confirmed dead and over 1000 homes destroyed and fires still burning.

We are praying for those that have lost everything, our hopes and wishes are with them
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The reports I'm seeing on the other side of the world are making this look like something out of a horror movie. The people I'm talking to in Aus are confirming them. Nothing that I can say will help but... stay safe guys.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

We have to remain humble in front of Nature.
Big fires some years ago in California, in Greece, in Indonesia took a heavy toll.
Today it is Australia.
Terrible death toll, deperation of survivors who lost all their belongings, everything they had build and put love in.
It requires a lot of courage to resume living after that.
Read Kipling: "If..."

Besides fire, there are other disasters which are worse: everyone remembers the famous tsunami in the Indian Ocean four years ago. Hurricanes in every tropical area, floods in Bengladesh and China, earthquakes in Turkey, Iran, China again.

Remain humble, and thanks for all the compassionate people who give their time, their money, sometimes their lives to give a help.

Even worse than Mother Nature: our own kin.
Wars, ethnic cleansing, massive hunger cause by the stupidity or greediness of a few of us.
In the US you have a terrible body count going up for Irak and Afghan wars. What is the body count for Afghanis and Irakis? Darfour, Congo, Palestine, how many deaths, for which cause?
Drug wars, how many deaths in Columbia, in Mexico, in Venezuela?

I feel sorry for the Aussies.
I am confident that they have all the ressources to cope with the hard time they are going through. There are plenty of super guys and girls "down under", they got a strong spirit, the frontier spirit, making things done and giving each other a hand.

I am not so confident for the rest of the world and I believe that there will be a lasting need for people risking their lives, spending monthes of their life's best years, remaining away from their families or just giving some money to charities, to provide help and hope for a better world where it is mostly needed. Doctors, Blue Helmets, Firemen, Disaster Relief professionals, Journalists, Monks and Nuns, you and me.

Some D.netters are among them, presently in Afghanistan or Irak.

Go ahead Aussies! Keep faith and courage.
When it's over in your home country, we need you again in the rest of the world!

Calisson
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Wise words Calisson.

My heartfelt best wishes to all you down in Australia. The human spirit is strong and humanity will survive. The hidden cost within however is just as mighty a toll. All we can do is rebuild at whatever level we have the strength.
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

a minute of silence and respect for everyone in australia
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

I work with a large number of London based Aussies (mainly from Sydney but we all know people who have been affected). The pictures and stories I have heard have been terrible.

However, the Aussies have a very unique approach to life in general and are well placed to pull through this tragedy.

My thoughts are with anyone who has been impacted.
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Thanks for everyones kind words. I myself live in Victoria, Australia and the impact of these events are truly horrifying.

The Ash Wednesday fires is nothing compared to this... Truly, truly horrifying. But you could also call the day it all started "The Perfect Storm". It was 40+ degrees with howling winds. The fire would have moved so quickly and as we saw, it engulfed entire towns in mere minutes.

And those fire bugs who initially restarted the fires... Well, I'll keep it as clean as possible for these forums. When they are found, they'll be answering to an extremely high justice. However, if it was up to me.... I don't think I could hold back. I don't think any person who is proud to be an Australian could contain themselves while in the presence of such filth.

This fire is a really scary thing to behold. If you looked closely from my house in Beechworth, you could see the smoke actually billowing up into the skies from the still raging fires. While the sky looks like the gates of hell.

My condolences go out to anyone affected by these tragic events.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

yer it is a terrible event and im fell sorry for all wo have lost there lives in this terrible disaster. the death toll is now 210 with 30 unaccounted for :(
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

I live just out of Albury which happens to be on the Victorian border. I'll remember these fires for a long time. It's a terrible thing but it is good to see being so reverent even on Druchii.net.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Being in New Zealand, the stories reached us pretty quickly and as many have said it looks horrible, and yet many kiwi's are mocking this as a minor event and some people I know have openly brought it up to insult australians...

I do not think that a rivalry between 2 countries should bring them to kick their rival whilst there down just for some cheap laughs and it makes me sick to talk to this people some times with their attitude towards human lives.

You have my minute and to all who are affected please make it through the rest of the summer unscathed, as much as you can.

This is not the worst disaster humanity has come through and if 3rd world countries can manage through one of the worst tsunami's in recorded history then I'm sure the Aussies will manage to get through and rebuild.

Good Luck!
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.