RAW breaks Monopoly

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

RAW breaks Monopoly

Post by Daeron »

RAW method to breaking Monopoly

So I checked out the rules from Monopoly.
Link to the rules: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/00009.pdf
It's full of holes. How people managed to play this game for so long is a mystery. You don't even have to be -that- guy to break this game and win.

RAW loophole 1: Break the game in 1 turn
RAW, doesn't specify the token size or shape (bases don't matter?), or that you can land on only 1 space. RAW you can use a token the size of the board (with a hole for the tax and go-to-jail spaces), so you land on every space and can buy everything. With the starting cash you can buy 1 full suit and 1 card of every other suit which gives a guaranteed win.

RAW loophole 2 - Physical (RL) references are a bad idea.
RAW: " After you have completed your play, the turn passes to the left. "
If you are the left-most player, there is no next turn and the game ends. Note you only get to put a token down on your first turn, so if the left-most player starts, the game ends with only him/her in play and it's a win by default.
It's absolutely silly to use rules such as "to the left of the player". What's next? Measuring beards?

RAW loophole 3 - Boardwalk on turn 1
"move your token in the direction of the arrow the number of spaces indicated by the dice."
1) With only that restriction, jumping over spaces seems legal.
2) After reaching jail visitor area, you can't move "to the left" and any direction goes. If they meant you have to follow the board, they should have used "move clockwise". How hard can it be?

So you can jump to boardwalk on your first roll, giving you the top card on turn 1 (or any space you need to complete a suit).

RAW loophole 4 - Inifite GO salary
""GO": Each time a player's token lands on or passes over GO, whether by throwing the dice or drawing a card, the Banker pays himther a $200 salary. "
Since we can jump over spaces, you can pass go multiple times before landing on a space. You need 21 passes (just wave with your hand) to fund buying all properties in 1 turn.

RAW loophole 5 - Dicing your way to victory
The number of dice you have to use is undefined in the rules. RAI they may have meant the dice from the box, but yeah, nothing prohibits more (or fewer) dice. Using a larger number of dice will increase your odds of rolling a double, and playing again. It will further validate multiple passes over Go as well.
After rolling two doubles in a row, you may roll just 1 dice to avoid rolling three doubles in succession (which would jail you).
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: RAW breaks Monopoly

Post by Calisson »

:lol:

-=-=-

I just had a look to The United States Chess Federation, to see if there is any loophole.
https://www.uschess.org/content/view/7324
Man, how racists they are :shock:
I was utterly shocked to see, in the first sentences:
White moves first.
When you set up the board, remember the following things:
a. "White is right!"

Then segregation which probably is a legacy from apartheid times.
If you are White the queen should be on a White square. If you are Black, the queen should be on a Black square.
I can't believe such a racist game is even allowed to exist in the 21st Century.

Fortunately, we have WH. Love my corsairs and Lokhir.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}