WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Devia

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Re: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (D

Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Citadel of Lead

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Unofficial fan content

The hold is constructed upon the ruins of an ancient structure built by Old Ones. The demon Be'lakor, and the labour of slaves assembled the Citadel, most of which died, upon his leaving the island it came under the control of the wizard Ternoash, who visits on occasion but leaves in the hands of his many puppets. It is hidden deep in the Chaos tainted North, nigh impossible to find in the heavy mists and treacherous bogs that surround it, and even when you do find it, what will you do but despair? The walls are woven with lead, and the central tower is completely metal while twisted abominations created by the Deceiver lurch and flap between the ramparts. While the demon Be'lakor was able to garrison and arm the citadel to the brim, it is still powerful without him.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Buddug

Buddug is the great eagle riding archer, Chief of the Toulenii.

I wanted to redesign her helmet as it is the personality of the character and I felt that the original was too generic. and I wanted to draw her for fun.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Mutant Tyrant

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:All chaos followers actively seek the favour of the Dark Gods, and yet they are fickle with their "blessings" coming in many awful forms, most of the time the negative outweighing the positive. Within the North of Albion the mist-laiden bogs contain secrets that should not be found and many who seek its power return forever translated into mindless mutants of a myriad of shapes.

Ternoash is a wizard of exceptional power, and such Tzeentch has granted him the gift to bestow mutations upon subjects. This is done within his massive cauldron in the central tower of the Citadel of Lead, and is one of the only "sure" ways of gaining powers via mutations. That said, perhaps asking "The Deceiver" for power by hopping into a mutagenic cauldron inside a dread citadel is not the most intelligent course of action. Very few if any return with cognitive ability above that of a simple beast, thus they become enslaved to Ternoash.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Carnyx of the Gods

The Carnyx has immense magical properties, it is as rare as it is powerful and so is the magic woven into the earth that suspends it across the field of battle. The massive instrument must be held up by arms of arcbronze laden with gold, and played by three individuals. It confers immense strength unto its allies, the mere sight of it rallies men to the most lost of causes.

I wanted to bring in a carnyx, but I didn't want it to be the same as the cornu I already depicted. So I made it really really big. But how would it be held? It would need something to hold it up. After I figured out the type of stand for it, it took me many drawings to figure out how it would be brought to the battlefield. Originally on a chariot, but I had enough of drawing them for now, and I felt that it was getting repetitive. I remembered that Karl Kopinski painting of Karl Franz fighting a giant, with the floating towers in the background and it gave me an idea to make a floating henge-hillock of sorts suspended by magic. This took about a week to properly flesh out the idea working between that and other art and fighting a cold.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

This map has been shared by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl over on Lustria Online:

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl wrote:As Matt hasn’t created any Albion artwork of late due to other projects, to keep this thread going I’ve been working on a map of Albion and the various factions on it, based upon one that @Warden made for his Dragon Isles Samurai Clans in one of his lore threads (here). I’ve included all three of the major tribes that Matt has devised, plus territory that belongs to the Truthsayers as I thought they would have the same level of power the Druids had over the actual Celtic tribes (I would say akin to that which the Pope possessed over the various countries of Medieval Europe), surviving enclaves of Fimir (as I found that some of them still live on the island), the armies of corrupted tribesmen that follow Be’lakor (which I’ve called the Hordes of Shadow or Shadow Clans) and the Norse, as they’re portrayed as controlling much of Albion in Warhammer: Total War and I thought it would provide continuity to replicate some of that.

The emblems were all borrowed from Rome: Total War, Rome II: Total War (in the case of the Truthsayers emblem) and Warhammer: Total War (the emblems for all three of the evil factions here are Norse faction emblems in the game, but I thought the green one would be good for Fimir because of the central ‘eye’ in the middle of the four Chaos spikes, and the Chaos star would be appropriate for Be’lakor’s corrupted clansmen)

I’ve decided to revise my map to acknowledge this segment of Matt’s feedback:

I’ve incorporated the Great Ogham into Boreni territory and swapped the positions of the Belenii and Toulenii around to give the Belenii access to the Tower of Llenog (which actually isn’t on this map but on a similar more detailed version is present in the region I’ve given to the Belenii, between the two lots of marshes).
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Lordofskullpass over on EEFL has written the first Albion army list, based on de Witte's work. Check it out!

[quote=lordofskullpass]For a long time I've been avidly following the development of a certain Matt Klaas de Witte's interpretation of the island of Albion, as I think it's far better than the version GW developed in the Dark Shadows campaign of yesteryear. Additionally, for the past year-ish I have been developing my own unofficial army list for this version of Albion, so that those who are fed up of GW's cavemen and Matthias Eliasson's fantasy Highlanders can play an army of proper Iron Age Celts for a change, as the Celts were at their most powerful and advanced during the La Tene period, which could have lasted much longer had it not been for everyone's favourite Latin-speaking xenophobes and copycats bringing such new-fangled nonsense as 'discipline', 'uniform' and 'mass murder in gladiatorial arenas' to ancient Europe. So, without further ado, I present to you the first draft of my Albion army list for Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition!

Beyond the Old World and the 'civilised' lands of Bretonnia and the Empire lies the island of Albion, the birthplace of mankind. Those who travel there believe it is nothing more than an island of mists, bogs and ancient ruins, yet are oblivious to the fact that it is home to an advanced civilisation even older than the desert kingdoms of Nehekhara, who possess secrets taught to them by the Old Ones themselves. Proud tribal Overkings lead their people in a neverending war to not just survive, but thrive, against such abominations as the monstrous Fimir, barbarous Norse and, worst of all, the savage and bloodthirsty warriors enslaved by Be'lakor, the first Daemon Prince of Chaos. At the sonorous call of Carnyx warhorns, rank upon rank of brave, honourable warriors charge across the field, with nimble cavalry and deadly chariots sweeping along the flanks and mighty constructs infused with the power of the earth ploughing into the foe. The mystical wards of the Truthsayers and the divine predictions of the Oracles fuel the strength of their sword-wielding brethren, while the myriad shock troops of the island's tribes deal the hammer blow that crushes the enemy advance once and for all. While the colonies of humanity to the south languish in decadence, poverty and greed, the first of its nations battles endlessly to keep the world safe from the foul taint of Chaos.

This army consists of a combination of units and characters devised by Matt, some created based upon my knowledge of real-world ancient Celtic tribal armies and additional units inspired by GW's interpretation to retain at least a semblance of faith toward GW's source material. As with my Swarms of the Hive Mind army list I have tried to maintain a combination of balance and thematic fun in the unit choices and profiles, though this army will require extensive playtesting by myself and others before true balance can be achieved. All my unofficial army lists aim to reach the 'middle tier' of balance in the Warhammer Fantasy rankings, because the game is more fun if all armies have their own strengths and weaknesses, and I attach the first draft of my Albion list below:
drive.google.com/file/d/1u3l6Ph_doPiS8VpGGV5K96XvyBVefTkn/view?usp=sharing[/quote]
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

From E-mail conversation with Matt de Witte:

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Truthsayers

The moral, legal, spiritual, and cultural guides of the people of Albion are also powerful mages. But only those that hold any sway on these aforementioned institutions on the isle are a part of the mysterious Circle of Truthsayers, a hierarchy of individuals headed by The Seven, The Three, then The One, in that order. The Seven are not of little note, they hold great sway on the island and are active in its politics. The Three are the heads of each sanctioned discipline of magic Light, Life, and the Hunt, with the foremost being Life, seen as the most benevolent. The One is Draoiorix, the most powerful being on Albion, The Formless One.
Though they practice the same disciplines as other races only 3 are sanctioned by Circle Truthsayers. It is possible to practice others but they are only discovered on your own and not taught by The Circle. The only possibility to gain proficiency is to seek outside assistance. If one does go on the path of another discipline of magic, you will be exiled from The Circle, you may still fight for Albionic tribes, a chieftain will likely not refuse such help, but it comes at the cost of losing this grand connection to the most powerful group in Albion.

Spells used on here are not like any other because the island is isolated, thus, it did not develop along the same path as the outside world. Though some may closely resemble those invoked by other races it is purely a coincidence.

You may practice other forms of magic openly, though it is frowned upon by the Truthsayer aristocracy. You may not practice these forms if you want to hold any position of power or be included in the Order of the Truthsayers. It will cause you to be immediately expelled if you are caught, and even if it happened in the past. This is a large reason for some to leave the order to become mercenaries, heretics, and outcasts. Though it must be added that there have been good and noteworthy men and women who have used magics of other forms to benefit Albion and its tribes. But those who dabble in these magics, combined with their spurned nature oft turn to Chaos, becoming Dark Emissaries.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Re: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Devia

Wicker Man

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Some souls never rest, and those whose fury rages from the beyond continues to do so in the mortal plane. Only the highest Truthsayer can beckon the bravest souls from their interdimensional home of the Isle of Wights to return. But they must have a vessel to return to: their old armour, standing stones, or in this case a woooden idol. But souls are not always the purest, those who lived their lives on the field of battle can not be expected to set aside these traumatic experiences so easily even after death of their human vessel. These are the Wicker Men. Powerful warriors in life whose anger burns with ethereal energy, whose flames repeatedly consume the idol constructed for them to return to.
- - -

From e-mail conversation:

[quote="Matthew Klaas de Witte]Isle of Wights

Albion tribes believe that the souls of brave souls both men and animals go to rest on the Isle of Wights. The island itself is physical, but upon it is an interdimensional portal between realms. The body does not travel to the island. The island is one of the greatest prizes to Necromancers, though none have set foot there of course, it is defended by the God of the Dead, and the dead spirits that inhabit it.

Some souls that go are not finished with their work in the realm of mortals, though they are not allowed leave the island, they can be beckoned by Circle Truthsayers and infused into things like Manhirs, or Wicker Men depending on their personality in life. Even a suit of armour, so long as it is physical. These souls still have thoughts and memories of their lives and may even visit loved ones or descendants. The Circle Truthsayer does not have the final say on if the soul can return, but is a request to the God of the Dead who has the final say in the matter.

Only the bravest men can be beckoned to return as Spirit Warriors, they inhabit their arms and armour they used in life so long as it is not utterly destroyed. They are among the most powerful units available to Albion, because they difficult to banish back to the Isle of Wights, and they were mighty warriors in life.

Examples of Spiritual units: Manhirs, Wicker Man, Manolith, Spirit Warriors, Stone horses (boars and stags as well).[/quote]
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Amber Truthsayers

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Original fan content

As the people of Albion have little inhibitions about the human form, Amber wizards wear little to no clothing, a cloak of fur, and of course as their status of Truthsayer demands, much jewellery of magical or purely aesthetic qualities. They are muscular and lean like the animals they can shapeshift into. They pale in comparison to other human wizards that study this lore this way, as a nature worshiping culture would: wild things are honoured and therefore are a trait worthy of seeking as it is one of the three lores approved of by Draoiorix and the Circle of Truthsayers.
Truthsayers that study the Hunt can call real or summon more powerful ethereal beasts to do their bidding. They also give strength to animals that follow them into battle antlers, teeth, hide, and talons become like steel. The most talented can use these enchantments on men or themselves. They can shapeshift into mighty beasts as well and is perhaps their most beloved quality among their kin.

Trying out many combinations of media
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Wow, very nice design!
Thank you for sharing. :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

@Calisson: Cheers!

Spirit Warrior

You may have followed my Warhammer Albion series. I look to the aged map for guidance on how to design units, and characters, and combine it with the various Celtic cultures through the ages (Mostly La Tene). The Isle of Wights was problematic because I could not figure out how to integrate it without it just being a place for Necromancy, which I thought was a little predictable. I came upon the idea to combine the Gallic belief in reincarnation, and that the undead do not HAVE to be evil, kind of like how white in MTG can also return creatures from the graveyard. Though I wouldn't describe my version of Albion very nice either, they are order aligned but tribes still war with one another, including chaos.

Souls can be beckoned from the Isle of Wights, a place where spirits of Albion go when they die, but only with permission from the Goddess of Death and Rebirth. Only the most powerful Truthsayers belonging to the Circle can do this, and it is only upon request, and it is only for the mightiest of warriors to return. Upon accepting the request they are sent from their dwelling place, inside a portal on the Isle of Wights, to inhabit a suit of armour, clothing, Manhir (animated Henges), or a Wicker Man (everimmolating wooden man) These souls still have thoughts and memories of their lives and may even visit loved ones or descendants though it is not encouraged as the experience can be traumatic for the spirit who must come to terms with their death. Indeed their personality shines through their rebirth, and request arms and armour, and accoutrements that are beholden to a mighty warrior of their standing in life, even polishing and repairing the armour that they now inhabit. When they finish their desired tasks they return once again to the Isle of Wights to rest. The things they inhabited are said to be imbued with their power after their final departure from the mortal plane.

They are among the most powerful and rare of entities available to Albion.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

King Verartorix
Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Legends tell of a massive ancient sword lost, whose blade was sealed inside a cube of stone and that one who pulls it from this stone will be Chief of all chiefs, or “king”. Thus uniting the warring tribes of Albion under a single banner, and finally embark into the outside world bringing about a golden age of conquest.

A rather unremarkable tribesman of Albion was lost in the woods looking for this sword, and prayed to the gods to find his way out. None answered, as there is no god in Albion associated with finding ones way. However there is a god not of Albion that knows all, even the location of a mythical sword, and so faintly guided the poor lost soul to its resting place. The man was astounded at the find, truly a major point of Albionic history would be marked this day, should he tell the Truthsayers and they record it. But one quick attempt should be made first… Try as he might he could not wrest it from the stone. The ogham script spoke of the legend, the magical carvings sealed the sword away only for the one who is worthy. But why should it not be he? The one who found the sword should be the one that wields it.

He would leave the woods and return to his village, building muscle, and some renown as a warrior within his tribe as is the way of Albion. Years passed, and obsession gained, he would leave his village for the shrine of the sword to try again and again each day. It would consume him, and the god that knows all saw an opportunity, for this god is also the god of trickery, and plotting though he would never want to fulfil such a powerful prophecy, he would give the tribesman a way to lift the sword without pulling it out of the stone.

And so the tribesman whose name had meant little to the world gained impossible otherworldly strength, and ripped the stone out of the ground with the sword still in it. In his addled mind he had fulfilled the prophecy, he is now King of the Chiefs Verartorix! But what of the chiefs ? They refuse him, warriors attack the twisted man on sight, and he is wholly rejected from society.

The thing would travel North, and find kin in a former enemy, the expansive swamps and the Citadel of Lead to the North, the former stronghold of the First Everchosen. From there he gathers men of power behind him, a crown is fashioned for his brow, and he smashes those that stand in his way. Especially those that claim to be Chiefs, when their King has revealed himself! They are pretenders and must be smashed. He crushes them, and in Albionic tradition fashions the most prized skulls to his waist.

The sword is impossibly large, was it even meant to be unsheathed? Or a story given life by some ancient sculptor wishing to tell a simple tale? Whatever the answer, the blade should extend well beyond where it had been ripped from the ground. *(I really just ran out of space)