First 8th Ed game with Dark Elves

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

First 8th Ed game with Dark Elves

Post by gutpaunch »

I eventually managed to play my first 8th Ed game in over 6 months using my new Dark Elves army and it was a blast!

First of all, I soon realised how rusty I was playing the game I used to be very experienced at. I forgot so many rules.
I guess Ive gotten used to playing AoS using my Dark Elves.
But this was a chance to try them out against quite a competitive High Elf army.

I managed to scrape a minor victory which was an achievement after the first few turns really battered me!

The MVP in my list had to be a Master on Dark Pegasus who weathered some horrendous shooting before taking out a unit of Sisters of Averlorn, 2 Bolt throwers, the High Elf general and held up a Lothern Sea Guard for 3 turns! He was awesome!
The Doomfire Warlocks were awesome with their Doombolt spells wiping out 2 complete units (cant remember what they were)

LVP were Executioners who got wiped out by Swordmasters in 1 round of combat taking my Lv4 Sorceress with them.
Hydra and magic were ineffectual but overall it was a fun game, a real blast from the past and I look forward to another opportunity to play 8th Ed.

Bring it on! 8)
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: First 8th Ed game with Dark Elves

Post by Vulcan »

A bit of tactical advice (a wee bit too late). You don't match up Executioners against Swordmasters. You send... well, pretty much anything that still strikes first against swordmasters. Witches, for example, tear them apart. Executioners go after the stuff S3/4 struggles to kill - high toughness and ESPECIALLY high armor savers.
gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately, the Swordmasters made a very long charge in to the Executioners so I didn't have much choice but to take it :(
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Congratulations on your historic victory!

Always good to hear of a blood harvest of the hated kin :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Thanks T.D.

It was a very close thing.
The first few turns were awful for me but once the Pegasus Master got in to combat and the Witch Elves started doing their thing and the Warlocks started erasing whole units from the table with their IF Doombolts things turned my way.

It was deffo a game of 2 halves and a much appreciated victory as HEs have always been my bogey army to play against!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have always enjoyed the games against HE myself, partly because it's so easy to hurt them... :D
But I find it a big challenge to get a majoy victory against them since they can easily hurt me.

Grats on the victory! How did you enjoy your game of WFB after being so used to AoS?
Personally, I always imagined that the transition to AoS would be easier than going back to WFB. Your report kind of hints at that. That said, when I last played WFB it fit like a glove. I enjoyed it so much that I might just keep playing WFB.

... And AOS. But definitely will still play WFB. :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

Well, I forgot so many rules after such a long time away from playing WFB and I had so many AOS rules at the forefront of my thinking, I had to keep checking in the BRB to make sure I was doing the right thing.

My opponent was more au fait with WFB than AoS so it was easier for him.
But it was awesome seeing ranked units again, I have missed that and Doombolt was far more powerful than in AoS.
But I will definitely keep playing both systems if I can find some more WFB players
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

gutpaunch wrote:I had to keep checking in the BRB to make sure I was doing the right thing.

I know exactly what you mean.. This was the part I disliked about WFB whenever I had a hiatus for a while. But for some reason it didn't come up so often last time. And we had a GM for the last game which helped a lot to speed up some situations. That would be a good tip, if you have more than 2 players in the room :)

Compared to AoS, WFB feels more like a simulation of a mass battle game.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
gutpaunch
Trainee Warrior

Post by gutpaunch »

A GM would be ideal, helping my addled brain remember more complex rules.
I guess I have been spoiled with the simplicity of AoS lately

But it was great to see my lovely Druchii models ranked up the way they should be.
It is definitely more cinematic and more representative of a larger battle. I really did enjoy it.

And it was great playing the Witch Elves, CoB and Hellebron combo and seeing just what level of carnage that unit could dish out. It was awesome!!

But I also loved the damage output and resilience of the Master on Pegasus and Warlocks.

8)