8th: Hydra or Kharibdyss vs Treeman?

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bobba Looba
Corsair

8th: Hydra or Kharibdyss vs Treeman?

Post by Bobba Looba »

Hi all,

Hopefully you can help me out with making a decision.
I’m playing a small and friendly game of 8th against Wood Elves soon.
I know my opponent has a Treeman and probably wants to bring it along and I’m wondering what monster to bring to counter it. A Hydra or a Kharibdyss?

The Hydra has Fiery Breath with flaming attacks, but the Kharibdyss’ Feast of Bone also seems quite good. What would you suggest?

Will any of them survive the Treeman at all?

Thanks

edit: it's Kharibdyss, not Kharybdiss
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 8th: Hydra or Kharibdyss vs Treeman?

Post by Saintofm »

We sometimes call the giant squid thing the K Beast for short.

I want to lean towards K beast.

The two monsters were were made for different things I like to call Crowd Control and Brawler.

The Hydra was more into Crowd Control, with his many attacks, Breath Attack, and Stomp made it good for dealing with units that came in mass.

THe K beast had fewer attacks, but higher strength so cold take on tougher and heavily armored prey like knights or a giant easier.

So, Hydra against the troops, and K beast against the monsterous and monster unit.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Both will struggle with a treeman - but the K Beast would probably do better given its monster killing properties.

To some extent though, I would consider the broader goals of the model. A hydra has a lot of versatility and I would give more thought to what your overall battle strategy is rather than focusing in on a specific monster vs monster matchup.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

We are playing a very small and lighthearted game (1000pts) to get us both back in the game. (We both haven't played in about 15 years).

Although you are right that the broader goal should be taken into account, it's too small a battle to have a lot of strategy involved. I just gotten my hydra model and he loves his treeman, so it's a given that we will use those. If only because they look cool on the battlefield. 8)

But considering the differences in costs (160 pts vs 225 pts) I am wondering if that difference also predicts the result of the match-up (and whether it makes a difference which one I choose).

I'll try and do a couple of 1v1 'test match-ups' this evening and I'll let you know what the results are. :D
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

1v1 is informative, but not the whole battle either. Remember, if the rest of his army can kill your hydra/k-beast before it gets to engage the treeman, it doesn't matter whether it can kill the treeman or not as it's already dead.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

That's true.
Any suggestions as to what will kill the treeman? Black Guard maybe?
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

After doing a couple of 1v1 fights, I now realise that neither of the monsters stands any chance against the treeman. Especially the Treewhack special rule is brutal: Basically D6 instant wounds after a failed initiative test, (which is all the time) . But also neither the Hydra nor the Kharibdyss does any real damage due to the treeman’s huge saves.

What I hadn’t realised is that the hydra can only use Fiery Breath once per game. It is the attack that has the most chance of dealing wounds, but at that rate it doesn’t really add much.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Unfortunately, I have no further experienced advice to offer. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, and haven't had a chance to play WFB since before the WE book dropped. All I can do now is TheoryHammer.

If you can get the Flame Banner on a big Darkshard unit, they should make short work of the treeman through sheer volume. Lore of Fire and the Ruby Ring of Ruin also could do some damage. And once you whittle the tree down to size, then something else should be able to finish the job.

Another possibility is the Flame Banner on Witches. Again, sheer volume (and poison) might carry the day. Executioners are also a possibility.

Maybe a Peggy Master with the Twilight Cloak? Doesn't that give HKB?

It's been years since I've played, sadly. Verify these are actually legal before attempting to use...
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

I've been thinking about it too and I figured what I needed was something that would bypass the armour saves.
I found that an assassin with Chillblade should be able to hurt the treeman very quickly. He hits on a 3+ and rerolls misses. Chillblade wounds automatically, so no saves of any kind. He should be able to do 3 or 4 wounds easily. If I put him in a unit with dreadspears, those may be able to finish him off before he has a chance of hitting back.

He is also not too expensive at 140pts.

What do you guys think?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Assuming the woodies don't decimate the unit before it gets to the treeman it could work. In this case a cheap hydra might make a great fire-magnet.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

Yes, a hydra is just too cool not to bring along.
A unit of corsairs may hold out better than dreadspears.

I think that's gonna be it.
Thanks all