Warhammer the Old World

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bobba Looba
Corsair

Warhammer the Old World

Post by Bobba Looba »

I don’t see any posts on the forum about the announcement for Warhammer Old World.
warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/

The announcement is around a year old, but it doesn’t seem to have been picked up here yet?

Without getting into speculation as to what the game would be. Would a possible return to (parts of) Fantasy bring Dark Elves and this community back? Or have most players already moved on to other factions and games?

What are the thoughts/ hopes here?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Warhammer the Old World

Post by Daeron »

I was puzzled and excited by the announcement. It would surprise me if GW would launch a new mini range for it, or try to revive an old one. But then, stranger things have happened. Maybe they are trying to recuperate the 9th age community, if not for rules then at least for the minis.

I don’t know. I doubt the community is large enough to support a relaunch of the old WFB but then again they made that world popular again through total war and vermintide.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Darkspear
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Darkspear »

I am looking forward to Warhammer the Old World myself. I managed to buy a few armies after WHFB closed and have done them up over the years. If the Old world get released i will play.

I acknowledged that GW may release totally different armies or new minis. That's fine for me, I will just use whatever that can be used, plus some "count as" while I also buy the new stuff.
In my land, everyone calls me the darkspear. The most famous spearmen commander of all.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

It generated some buzz in T9A website.
Several people had immediately some unrealistic expectations, such as hoping that discommissioned armies and units would come back.
The conclusions were quickly made that:
1. Nobody knows nothing, even GW admits that their project is far from finalized, so no need to speculate anything.
2. In any case, the delay announced was 2 years at minimum, so no need to rush or freeze anything for that.
3. The fundamentals remain, that GW means to sell new models, not to maintain existing collections, and they are good for models, not for balanced rules.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

There is indeed no need to speculate, since pretty much nothing is knownexcept that GW is working on some game based on the world which Fantasy was based on.

Since this may bring back some old rules, armies or units, it could increase interest in the old factions, such as Dark Elves.

What I'm interested in is, how it is perceived in the active community. I don't play in a community myself and have no feeling as to how the news is being received. Do people care for it, are they interested?

In the long run, I'm of course interested in what it would mean for my DE army, if I'll be able to use it again and whether it could reunify the community that is now split up into groups playing with different rules. But this is what we will see when more news comes out.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

There's a WFB community left after AoS?