Original metal manticore (6th edition army book) base size?

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Original metal manticore (6th edition army book) base size?

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Hey folks,

I think we only had the one Manticore model (Metal with a beastmaster on top) and I came across one on Ebay recently that I bought.

I can't figure out if putting it on the 50mm base was the right decision though! I can't tell from the army book with confidence and the pictures I found online very wildly, some even being rectangular.

So do we have any idea if it was the big 40mm one or the 50mm one?

Malekith comes on a custom 50mm making me think that the Manticore comes with the 40, but I guess it could have also changed at some point.
Nostromo
Cold One Knight

Re: Original metal manticore (6th edition army book) base si

Post by Nostromo »

Manticore was always on the 50mm base to my knowledge, as were all monsters in 6th edition.

The Dark Pegasus is the one to fit on a 40mm base.
Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Cheers Nostromo!

Strange how much overlap there is between Dark Elves, Dark Eldar and Night Lords fans(We must all just be fans of sadistic torture :lol: )
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The original manticores (back in the days of 3rd ed) were on 40mm bases.

The general rule was always that you should use the base that the model came with. If it did not come with a base, it's pretty much up to you as to how to base it - there are two main philosophies: i) pick a base that seems right relative to the size of the model or ii) pick a base that is the same size as the most recent models for that monster so that you are not at a competitive advantage over your adversaries.

I did have a minor spat playing a game of 8th edition some years ago. My manticore with master attached was on a 40mm base and was pretty small in height. That meant that my opponent could not see him using true LOS and so could not shoot him. He was a bit put out because, had I been using the most current model of manticore, he would have been able to see him and shoot him. The end result was that the manticore master was able to swoop in and murder his Vampire Count general without getting shot. Technically I was in the right, but I think his point had some merit too. It was a friendly game so it didn't matter that much.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

The metal manticore came with a 50mm x 50mm base indeed. I recently assembled mine:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78742

Interestingly, I found this page on the eefl forum, where the base size for 8th is mentioned as 50mm x 100mm..
This would mean that the latest manticore came with a different base size.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

That is correct. The last manicure was on 50mm by 100mm IIRC. GW went that way towards the end, it was part of their make monsters and everything bigger so that they looked more powerful and they could charge more for their purchase.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

And what base size did the dark pegasus come with in 8th? I found an overview on the eefl.forum that said 40x40mm, but that seems awfully small.
Considering regular cavalry comes with 25x50mm, it seems appropriate to mount it on a 50x50mm.
Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Thanks folks!

As for Morathi, the 6th edition books back cover shows her next to some infantry and it really looks like she's on a 40x40 base. However, that book also has a manticore displayed on the same page as Malekith and it's extremely hard to tell if that manticore is actually on a 40mm or 50mm base, even with plenty around it to compare...
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

For a long time large monsters were on the 50x50 'large monster' base. Then size creep did it's thing and some models would no longer fit, so base sizes crept up with it; 50x100 all the way up to 100x150.

If I'm running an older monster that's a lot smaller than the latest model, I'll often put a banner or some such on it so it's at least close to the height of the new one. While technically banners and such are not 'targetable', I make an exception in this case out of sportsmanship.

I mean, I'm using the new rules and point costs for the monster; it just seems fair to at least come close to LOS for it too. YMMV, of course.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

Thanks for the replies.
Good idea to put banners on older monster. I still have a (very) old lava dragon from somewhere in the 80's. I figured I could paint it up as a black dragon, but it's tiny compared to the newer dragons.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Another option for winged models is just to bring the wings up to try and match the height of the new models, and allow your opponent to draw LOS to the monster that way.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

You mean changing/ converting the position of the wings, so they point more upwards?

That's a great idea too, but in my specific case it won't help. The wings already point upwards, haha.

It's this one: http://solegends.org/citdragon/ds1lava/index.htm

It's pretty wonky-looking and it's only cool because it's old, to be honest. :)