Where are the Sisters of Slaughter!

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Where are the Sisters of Slaughter!

Post by Lord Drakon »

Greetings,

I´m also making the shift to 9th Age and will play my first battle tonight so looking at the army list and rules. But my all/time favourite unit have dissappeared! Where are the Sisters of Slaugher!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Where are the Sisters of Slaughter!

Post by Daeron »

Under revision. I think they are still debating its purpose.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

And the 4++ save in close combat is confirmed gone. It's a good question what (if anything) is going to replace it so SoS don't become very expensive Witches.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

I will be deeply annoyed if the Sisters get pulled. It's hardly as though they're game-breakers in the same vein as Warlocks or Cauldron-pushing Witch Elves. Their abilities may not mesh with 9th Age in the same way, but that's hardly a reason to cut them entirely.

I understand the complaint that they're basically Dark Elf versions of 40K Wyches, but they were something a bit different in the "elite infantry" stakes, and it would be a sad reflection on 9th Age if one of the few innovative units from our 8th edition book got nerfed or dropped because people weren't sure what to do about them.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I think a great purpose for them is as gladiators, an unique warhammer unit in the Roman/Greek theme Dark Elves got in 8th edition. Low armoured, highly skilled elite infantry able to take out elite infantry and monsters. Skirmish, Strength 4, 4+ or 5+ ward save in combat and a cool combination of special rules.

Witch Elves are frenzied followers of the Cult of Khaine, maybe the fact that the Sisters of Slaughter were also female let people think they are expensive Witch Elves, but in my opinion Gladiators are quite different. Make them male and you've got plenty of other miniature and conversion options to distinquish them from Games Workshop.

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

The 9th Age rules committee seems to be very big on making sure units have unique roles. If they can't see a role a unit can be pigeonholed into they don't like the unit and either nerf it to ineffectiveness or just try to remove it.

OR, they warp it all out of recognition to fit a role they assign it (Bretonnian Knights-Errant got hammered this way).

SoS seems to be part of that process. They just don't see what makes SoS different from Witches.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Depressingly, it's probably underpinned a bit by the sexism that exists in our hobby. We have countless semi-similar units that do get included that involve males, yet because the units in question (witch elves and sisters of slaughter) are female, they have to be viewed as similar and thus bundled together. Hmm.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well... The great thing about 9th is that you can help in defining their role and purpose in the game, as well as their fluff. Not only can you do this, you're actually invited to do so. If you prefer to discuss them on this board, I'd gladly take your ideas to their board or link back to our own discussions. Whichever format you pick, we'll try to help and support it.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Which is the only reason why SoS even have a CHANCE at making it into 9th Age. The RT was going to remove them entirely (why else would they not make the TAC?) but there's been enough support for keeping them that they're rethinking things.

Whether what results from their rethinking things is still useable or not (a la the "Aspiring Knights) is still up in the air.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

They are back! As Pleasure Pit Gladiators, 130 points for 10 of them. Yes :D
Very cool Gladiator weapon rule, 5+ ward save in combat and no rank bonus for enemy unit.
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lord Drakon wrote:They are back! As Pleasure Pit Fighters, 130 points for 10 of them. Yes :D
Very cool Gladiator weapon rule, 5+ ward save in combat and no rank bonus for enemy unit.

And special as well. I will have a proper read this evening.