War Platform & Warden's Standard in combined unit?

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ilderoth
Warrior

War Platform & Warden's Standard in combined unit?

Post by Ilderoth »

Hi everybody,
I am really curious to the 9th Age and so I decided to try out a number of Dread Elves lists. I am currently thinking of placing a Cult High Priestess on an Altar of Blood in a unit of 28-30 Executioners. Now, I want to give the Executioners the Warden’s Standard (the unit gains Strider and Swiftstride). However, I wonder whether this is allowed or useful when the unit is joined by the Altar of Blood. The Altar has the special rule War Platform. When you look at the description of this special rule then you see that it states, among other things, that models with this rule lose Swiftstride. So, my question is whether the Warden’s Standard grants the combined unit (so the Executioners including the Altar) the Swiftstride rule even though the altar’s special rule states that this model loses Swiftstride.
jeffman
Corsair

Re: War Platform & Warden's Standard in combined unit?

Post by jeffman »

i am not a rules expert, but i would figure it go's like this

1) altar of blood has unit type chariot, chariots have swiftstride
2) altar of blood has a special rule war altar and thus loses swiftstride from being a chariot.
3) banner is added to the unit, the unit (including the altar) will gain swiftstride.

so i would say he will have the swiftstride rule
Ilderoth
Warrior

Re: War Platform & Warden's Standard in combined unit?

Post by Ilderoth »

I just noticed that the same question has been aksed on the 9th Age forum, and has been officially answered as well. The answer is close to yours, Jeffman. It reads as follows:

“War platform lost Swiftstride from Chariot, it can still gain it from other means like Warden’s Standard.”

So the source of Swiftstride is what matters (Chariot or Magical banner). Swiftstride gained by the Altar from the Chariot is lost because of the accompanying War Platform rule but once again conferred to it (or better, the unit of which it is part) because of a different source (the banner) to which the War Platform rule does not apply.