2500pt Core Heavy wins 1st place

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Meteor
Executioner

2500pt Core Heavy wins 1st place

Post by Meteor »

Hi, some of you may have seen me post some lists in the Army List section of the forum. This is my first battle report write-up, as it was requested by Carolus. Just to note, it is an approximation of what happened throughout my games, and so are the opponent's units. Some, the units were definite, others, I might had missed out on a unit or two, but the most important ones that decided on the outcome of my games and their positions are listed correctly.

For a quick recap on what I took, here is my army list.

Dreadlord w/ 4+ regen, dragonbane gem, giant blade, Sh & SDC
Lv3 (Dark Magic - we want word of pain predominantly, and chillwind if there's shooters)

Master BSB w/ 1+ AS, reroll AS * GW
Lv1 (Shadow - for miasma)

(2) 15 Warriors w/ Sh & champ
Assassin w/ Manbane, AHW & +D3 attacks

40 Warriors w/ Sh, fc & flame banner (to tarpit something, so a flank unit normally)
30 RxB w/ Sh & fc (6x5)
35 Corsairs w/ RHB, fc & SSS (7x5)
(2) 5 Harpies
5 DR w/ RxB & muso (this unit actually wasn't included in my army..)

5 Shades w/ AHW

The results are as follows;

- Massacre vs Empire w/ steam tank, 2 mortars, 2 cannons
- Massacre vs Empire w/ hellblaster, mortar, cannon and knights
- Minor Loss vs Skaven w/ 2x warp lightning cannon, bell and 2x flame thrower weapon team things
- Massacre vs Lizardmen w/ 2 Stegs, 1 Ancient Steg, 2 salamanders and 2 razordons
- Massacre vs DE w/ ASF Hydra Banner Dreadlord knights ^^

[size=150Game 1: Dark Elf vs Empire - Straight beat'em up mission[/size]

My opponent attempted to lure my deployment line to my left flank by placing two of his handgunner units there then the Steam Tank where it is. The building made it hard for me to decide since I'll have to commit to one flank once I've deployed since I don't have fast units to redeploy if I do it incorrectly. Fortunately, my deployment vs his isn't too bad in my favour in the end.
A note at this point is that I was intrigued by his deployment of his general by himself. Ideas to kill him before he hides in a bunker begun popping in my head as we rolled for first turn.

Turn 1

Movement
Units marched as shown, the Spearelves on the left had a simple task, just gun towards the two handgunners.

Magic
In my magic phase, I managed to cast Bladewind on his cannon and wiped it out. My Shades had a clear run towards the back of his gunline thanks to that. Chillwind and Word of Pain managed to lock two more of his shooting units down.

Shooting
The RxBs managed to take out a unit of handgunners with 60shots :D

Movement
A typical empire line, little movement, plenty of shooting greatness.

Magic
I...don't recall what happened that clearly here, but nothing significant occurred. I think Justin casted reroll to wound on one of his mortars, unbreakable to the big unit of Halberds.

Shooting
Mortars dropped onto the Corsairs and RxBs, did some damage, but wasn't too catastrophic.

Turn 2

Movement
With my turn around again, I decided that entering the building then coming out of it next with 28 RHB AP shots was a good idea. That way I didn't suffer as much mortar damage either. Harpies got in position to flank the handgunner and hit the Mortar at the back. The Shades managed to get into the Mortar and wiped it out, so that's one less worry on my mind.

Magic
Once again...I don't think much magic of importance happened here. It wasn't as necessary at this point.

Shooting
The RxB shot the Halberds to weaken them for when the Corsairs appeared.

Movement
Surprisingly, the Steam Tank moved to the left and went to burn some Harpies. With it on the left flank now, I feel much safer popping the Corsairs out next turn. The Handgunners on the left interestingly, Justin decided to move them forward in an attempt to get out of the charge arc of my train of spearelves. As for me, I was more than happy to charge and remove one unit. At least I have the left flank dominated now.

Shooting
With just one Mortar remaining and a big building in the way of his remaining handgunners, there wasn't much concern for me when it came to Justin's shooting phase. To make life easier for me, his Mortar misfired anyway.

Turn 3

Movement
The Corsairs popped out of the building as planned, shoot in my round then charge down the swordsmen in my following turn. The BSB unit took the building instead, giving me somewhat of an extended range for the BSB reroll.

The 15 Warriors on the right moved up ready to flank the Halberds, it really was more of an idle threat to put more pressure on Justin. If it wasn't going to be favourable charge, then I'd just continue to shoot him with my RxB.

The Harpies that didn't panic and flee charged down his remaining Mortar, and the Shades charged the Cannon, which pretty much puts a plug on his shooting phase now.

Shooting
The AP RHB shots did enough wounds on the Swordsmen to make them take a panic check, and they were small enough for me to charge and wipe out in my turn. I was hoping he'd charge instead however, that way I get another round of shooting before engaging combat.

Movement
To my surprise, the swordsmen didn't charge, and the Steam Tank didn't either, instead, it loomed over my flank, readying to charge next round, but this round, he was going to shoot me....

Also interesting was his Halberds reformed to face the flank of my Corsair unit that held my general. Opting to ignore the smaller unit of Warriors that was now facing his rear. Hmmm...options...

Shooting
Well...his shooting showed what Empire can do when it works. My 35elf unit of Corsairs was reduced down to just 12 models surviving after the tank and Handgunners were done with it.

Turn 4

Movement
At this stage, I was tallying the VP gained and what victory condition it'd net me. Turns out, I was going to score a massacre. In which case, we were also running out of time, so we were going to end the game on this round. That said, I hopped the BSB unit out of the building, and the BSB left the building separately, so he could be out and still near the Corsairs so they could reroll a failed Swift Reform test.

The Corsairs swift reformed without trouble and hid in the building. With a Tank, and two sizable units starting at me, I wasn't going to take unnecessary risks when I was going to get a massacre result at this point.

The rest of my army just stood around and chilled.

Movement
Justin decided to charge the Halberds into the building because well...the Steam Tank can't. That was where the combat may have swung the result to a draw or minor or something. Without further ado, the combat that ensued. Ignore the block of Halberds w/ General moving down the flank. That was wrong, they charged the building.

Combat
Here, we had our General vs General brawl. Initially, I was just going to have my champion accept the challenge that he issued with his general. That way, I'll lose less models, possibly. But after finding out he had no ward save, I happily accepted the challenge with my Dreadlord. Then I quickly lost my smile because I forgot he had the stats swapping item. Except, he carried a greatweapon, and I had the Giant Blade. So even if he had my higher initiative, it didn't matter. The only difference actually, was that I was hitting him on 4's instead of 3's. Which once again, doesn't really matter because of Hatred.

So with great relief actually, my General managed to deal 3 wounds to him with S7 AP, which he failed to save so I netted myself a few hundred extra VP right there. The rest of the combat didn't quite matter, a few Halberdiers died, some Corsairs died, and the combat was over with him bouncing out of the building and my unit still inside, intact and denying him VP.

And that was the end of Game 1 with a Massacre result for DE.

A note here however, is that their previous tournament was a 999pt game, and they didn't scale up the VP conditions. After the first game, that was quickly rectified accordingly. So technically, I only netted a Major Victory at the end with the general, but meh.
Last edited by Meteor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

Thanks for the report. Very well done effectively shutting down most of his shooting and denying him VP. Looking forward to the others :D
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Game 2: Dark Elf vs Empire - The splitting up armies mission

In this mission, my opponent was yet another Empire player. Fantastic. Well with the actual deployment itself, my opponent won the roll off so he got to choose the side and deploy everything first. Unfortunately for him however, he ended up rolling left flank for his Knights w/ General, proceeded by Halberds and Swordsmen on the right flank. Everything else in the middle.

I on the other hand rolled 6's or else middle for everything. My plan was to take advantage of his split deployment and gank one flank first. Initially I was going to grind down his two blocks then worry about the Knights. But Knights travel much faster than infantry, and there was the Hellblaster right there too. Two conditions that weren't quite favourable for me and my tastes. So I opted to overload the right flank and destroy the Knights first. Hence our final deployments as shown.

Turn 1

Movement
His Knights marched forth rather boldly, and his two blocks of infantry begun their long trek over.

Magic
His Lv2 wizard attempted a small version of Flame Storm on my train of spearelves. I allowed him to have it since well...it wasn't going to cause me too much grief at this stage. His Death magic spells were out of range, and so was Fireball, so...maybe I should've dispelled Flame Storm. It grazed my spearelves, not much damage to be worried about at the moment.

Shooting
As shown, the train of spearelves got glanced by the Mortar shot, but one of my warrior block got shot a fair bit by the handgunners and crossbowmen.

Movement
During my first turn, I kept my shades where they were, it improved their chances of hitting the Knights and possibly killing one. The Corsairs moved up behind them, keeping a bit of a distance behind so the Knights might possibly fail their overrun roll.

The center units moved forwards towards the right flank to keep their distance from the Hellblaster and to form a forward shield for my Harpies who as shown, moved behind these two units. Getting ready to fly behind their shooting line and into the warmachines.

Magic
In the magic phase, for a change, I had more PD than the Empire had DD, by +1 :D. Basically I had Word of Pain, Chillwind and Miasma to use, I had enough spells and dice to draw out his DD and still be able to at least disable one shooting unit of his. I first begun with Chillwind on the Handgunners, which he dispelled. I then threw 5 PD at Word of Pain, aimed at them which he failed to dispel. Now I was open to cast Miasma onto the Crossbowmen too, which only reduced their BS by -1, but still, -1 to hit improves my chances of survival by just that little more.

Shooting
60 Shots into the Knights hitting on 5's. About 11 wounds out of that. Not a single Knight died. Damn 1+ AS Knights... I shot 10 more shots from the Shades into them, none died again. I was bummed and wished I shot at the Handgunners instead. That would've been 11 wounds onto them, more than half of the unit dead in one volley. I made a mental note to shoot the volley into them next turn.

Turn 2

Movement
The Knights charged in as predicted, and overran into the Corsairs. Meh.
The infantry blocks continued to slog across the board.

Magic
Not too much excitement, things either got dispelled or tickled my spearelf train. I think I used my dispel scroll at this point. He was giving his Knights stubborn I believe. Which I just scrolled rather than run the risk of failing to dispel and kicking myself.

Shooting
His Mortar shot scattered away even with a reroll, glanced my two units of warriors, but nothing to grieve over. The Hellblaster unfortunately, was JUST in range so shot more spearelves down from the train.

Movement
At this point, I only needed the one unit of 15 Warriors to head across the board for his gunline. So my other two unit of elves reformed and faced the two approaching infantry units. The Harpies flew ahead, I figured if I can do 11wounds to the Handgunners then disable the crossbows with magic, then at least one unit of Harpies can make it through plus the warrior block. I wasn't worried about the right flank either. A S7 AP Dreadlord plus an Assassin should be enough to handle his Knights.

Magic
Once again I managed to stay just on top in the PD, DD competition by a +1. Basically I used PoD first, rolled really well for it and earned +4PD back because Keirin decided to not try and stop a PoD on a value of 14. With those 4 PD I managed to Chillwind the Crossbowmen. Then Word of Pained the Knights instead, but I didn't manage to Miasma the Handgunners. Meh, I managed to disable the Crossbowmen, that's more than enough.

Shooting
This time, as promised, I did shoot at the Handgunners. More than half died to the bolts, the rest panicked and ran away. That worked out better than I thought...now the coast is once again, clear for my Harpies.

Combat
In combat, I ignored his general and went for the unit. I decided that the easiest way to kill characters is to make their unit flee and run it down. Plus, it cuts down on the number of attacks the unit can deal out, which in most cases, ends up being more than the character who I will struggle to kill. The Assassin had trouble killing the Knights, even with 7 attacks. He managed to kill a couple, the Dreadlord himself however, killed off 4 of them since it was a -5 to his AS, meaning he was saving on 6's :twisted:

The Corsairs wounded but didn't kill any. The Knights struggled to kill much in return since they were striking with WS1. Which is good because I mitigated the potential damage of his lances. However, he killed enough that the unit held even though they lost combat. :cry:

Turn 3

Movement
Kierin's infantry opted not to charge me yet, a wise move somewhat. So he marched forth instead. There was little else to do for him.

Magic & Shooting
Nothing spectacular happened in these two phases. The Crossbowmen were disabled, the mortar missed, the Hellblaster wasn't in range, and magic, well he killed off some elves, otherwise I dispelled his magic. No big changes.

Combat
I went through the same routine again, Dreadlord and Assassin attacked the unit, everything attacked his unit and ignored the General. In the end, it was just the general and the standard bearer left. (The Corsairs managed to kill some this time!). His unit broke and fled this time, and I rolled an 11 to chase him down. That was one part done, I can now concentrate on the remaining two combat units of his.

Movement
With both units of Harpies alive, it was an easy decision, they charged his warmachines at the back, the Warriors charged his Crossbowmen. Gunline silenced and I have total domination over shooting with my RxBs. I was also tempted to charge by warriors into one of his units, but I decided to wait. Many times it's actually the better option, I like to not make a mistake at this point that may cost me the game. So instead, I shuffled both units back 2.5" and brought the Corsairs over whilst I readjusted my RxB line to shoot at either blocks.

Turn 4

Movement
The Halberds attempted a charge which fell short, no surprise there honestly. The Swords continued to march forward.

Movement
At this stage, I couldn't delay the combat much further and wait for the Corsairs to arrive. So double charged the Halberds, then I planned to Word of Pain them by casting lots of dice at it, whilst I shot at the Swordsmen so if they charged, they weren't so terrifying to deal with. Everything else was just tidying up really. The Harpies had done their job with that final charge into the Hellblaster. The Corsairs continued to march forward in case something bad happened to my double charge.

Magic
Succeeded to cast Word of Pain off. Fantastic :D

Shooting
60 Shots into the Swordsmen reduced them down significantly. I really do enjoy shooting AP shots into T3 enemies, it's so much fun...

Combat
In combat, I managed to deal enough damage and stack enough ACR + SCR that they broke without trouble.

Turn 5

Movement
The game came to a close with Kierin charging what was left of his Swordsmen into both my of warrior units. Going out with a bang.

Not surprisingly, they were broken and runned down too.

Not surprisingly, Game 2: Massacre for DE, well truly this time.
Last edited by Meteor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

Looks like he got very unlucky with his deployment, but still a well deserved win! Keep em coming ;)
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Amazing BatRep. What do you use for the images? do you have some kind of awesome photoshop template?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Nice battles. Fun to read. And no Hydras! I'm impressed!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Nice armies all around. Is there some kind of gentlemans agreement about army selection?
Warpanda
Trainee Warrior

Post by Warpanda »

I like reading your reports so far. I wanted to point something out in your first report. You mentioned firing 60 shots with your RXBS. I assume you have them 10*3. Well there is no way you are allowed to do this as its against the rules.

You get the first two ranks with full fire. But the third rank only gets half. This is why it is innefficient to run RXB's in 30 man squads.

That aside, I am glad you did well with a core heavy list. Fun stuff and a great read.
Ulric darksoul
Assassin

Post by Ulric darksoul »

Nice BReps. Well played, congratulations.

Greenwhy wrote:Amazing BatRep. What do you use for the images? do you have some kind of awesome photoshop template?

The program used seems to be Battle Chronicler.
"If you're going to leave anyone alive, enslave it!"

RP: Group 27
Ulric Darksoul
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:5 I:3
Equipment:
- Short sword, dagger, bastard sword 5 throwing stars and Ritual Dagger.
- Sea Dragon Cloak (dark green with dark blue scales)
- 1 healing balm (H) 4 healing balms
120g+12g

Skills: Controlled frenzy, two-weapons fighting
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

WarPanda wrote:I like reading your reports so far. I wanted to point something out in your first report. You mentioned firing 60 shots with your RXBS. I assume you have them 10*3. Well there is no way you are allowed to do this as its against the rules.

You get the first two ranks with full fire. But the third rank only gets half. This is why it is innefficient to run RXB's in 30 man squads.

That aside, I am glad you did well with a core heavy list. Fun stuff and a great read.

No actually you still can't do that as we don't have the Volley Fire rule. It's possible to use a 30 man RXB unit but they have to be 15 wide.. firing in 3 ranks also is not advisable for RXBs as we have 24" not 30 thus not all will be able to fire.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Thanks for all the comments so far. Ulric is correct, the pictures are done using Battle Chronicler which Thanee has posted a link to with this sticky thread at the Battle Reports section. Thread Link to Battle Chronicler Here

There is no restrictions on anything for this tournament. It's all comp scored, so it's up to you what you bring, including armies. It was a nice interesting selection of armies the was brought forth for the two days indeed. But I've had enough of warmachines at this point haha.

Here is the third battle report, I'll try to write the 4th one up too before I go to bed. I've been busy painting my 21 CoKs for the coming 2000pt Auscon tournament here happening in a weeks time. I wish to be able to convert up another unit of DR and have them ready too, hence I'm trying to race through my Knights and leave enough time for the DRs. So I've been slow with these Battle Reports sry :(

Oh and yes, Ichiyo is correct, and I had my RxBs in 15x2 in my games. Originally they were suppose to be used as 6x5 block for CC purposes, but I discovered they're so much better dropping 60 shots at units every turn. I've now have respect for RxB in large quantity haha.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Game 3: Dark Elf vs Skaven - Battle for the Pass

Third and final game for day 1, after facing two Empire artillery armies, I was just about sick of destroying what's left of my precious brain cells in thinking of ways to silence artillery before the better part of my army died. And since this mission is played along the length of the table, I REALLY wasn't looking forward to an artillery army. As game 3 came around, hey guess what? Skaven! Two Warp Lightning Cannons and a Bell, what a fantastic way to end my evening haha.

Without further ado, we went off to setting up our armies. I kept the Harpies at the center so it didn't matter as much, where his Cannons went. The Corsairs I held back in deployment because I wanted to wait for the Bell first. The Corsairs were going to head straight for it, my S7 Dreadlord had a task to do, and a task he is designed to accomplish I might add, though the ward was going to give me trouble.

There were a couple of baleful statue things scattered across the board too. They were pretty much 'Beat'em Up' forests except it affected every unit within 6" of it. They kind of restricted where I placed certain units such as Harpies and Shades and the smaller units of Warriors. They're not included in the pictures because I wasn't bothered to put them in, they killed models here and there, at times affected my Harpies too. But they weren't game changing.

Our final deployment can be seen below after much holding back and thinking. Skaven won the roll off for first turn too. Which wasn't a good thing because well...I REALLY needed my Harpies to get up there asap!.

p.s. The deployment of the Shades were rather foolish too. I was riding on the fact that he had -2 for multishot and shooting at skirmish to see me through intact for a possible charge. I forgot they had poison, and since they had quick to fire, I wasn't going to be able to charge them, kill them off (possibly) then overrun into the cannon.

Note: I rolled up Pit of Shades for my Lv1 wizard. I decided to keep it for the Bell.

Turn 1

Movement
Kind of surprisingly, the Skaven army did push forward at the northern side. I actually would've expected them to sit back and lob cannon after cannon shots at my elves till they died.

Magic
His magic phase was nasty, as expected. I've played Ed enough times and witnessed his games enough times to know that when Ed takes Skaven, it is a losing battle from the get go. He played his magic conservatively, he drew out my dispel scroll in the first turn of the game, and attempted to cast skittle leap. I dispelled it. My policy is that whenever someone wants to cast something so random and subtle, it's usually bad. Things like Tree Singing, TK's movement spell etc, I usually dispel. He casted no more spells after that even though he had a handful of PD left.

Shooting
Ouch is the best description. The Shades surprisingly, survived with one model remaining. Which kind of made me happy because the one model can now run past the Gutter Runners, and straight for the Cannon in my turn. The Warp Lightning Cannons themselves punched holes here and there. Ed has been spectacularly accurate all game with all of his shooting.

The Gutter Runners at my back nibbled at my 15 Warrior unit, nothing of great concern to me. I was simply relieved the Cannons hit and did some damage, but not enough to cripple my units at this stage, although, landing right into the middle of the Corsairs was a bit disheartening. (hitting 15-20 models a shot isn't funny...)

Movement
Shade charged quick smart, the rest of my army pushed forwards quickly, but cautiously. There was a sea of Slaves in front of the bell I needed to get rid of first before I attacked the bell itself. My Corsairs weren't going to be able to walk and shoot this turn, so they didn't march the full distance. I made sure they were able to walk and still fire their handbows next round though, and that there was sufficient distance between us that Ed would be taking a risk when charging the slaves - IF he chose to charge them out. I didn't want the slaves charging out and the Bell following suit with another unit of mine, a bell in my face by turn 2, that's BAD.

On the far south, the train of spearelves decided to go for the charge. It was going to happen sooner or later, I figured I'd rather do the charging than receiving it whilst he had potential magic to influence it to his favour. Plus, I get a +1 SCR for charging ^^

Magic
Magic wasn't so fantastic, I didn't roll up Bladewind this round, I rolled up Doombolt, Word of Pain (yay) and Black Horror. So Doombolt became Chillwind. There wasn't much I could do with magic this round, so I opted to throw all my PD at Pit of Shades at his Bell, which I succeeded with an IF. The scatter rolled a 'HIT' result so the bell copped it. However...apparently the Bell takes an I check on the rider's value. I was a little bummed by that. I always thought it was like a War machine, ie, it auto popped. Regardless, we watched the die roll, I had never stared so intently, nor paid so much attention to a single roll such as this one. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the 6 loom up, too bad it ended up being a 5.

The miscast result was a value 11, meaning my wizard lost her Pit of Shade spell. She was now a walking PD/DD generater heh.

Shooting
Massed fired onto the Slaves. Killed a ton, they didn't flee which was fine with me.

Combat
The Shade made it in, but we both fluffed our rolls so the Cannon tested on -1 and remained. I wasn't fussed, it meant silencing the warmachine for one turn, fine by me.

The spear train killed a bunch of giant rats, they did some damage back, nothing significant happened, the rats didn't flee. I decided to go 8 wide to combat is 6 wide unit because I did significant damage this round and chances are, I'd remain steadfast next round after combat if it went ugly. I figured it would be safe to maximise the potential damage this time since it was T3 vs T3 and he had no armour but I did.

Turn 2

Movement
Kind of interesting the Slaves didn't charge. I was fine with it anyway, since that was what I wanted. The Warp Fire Thrower was in front of the Bell anyway, so that was fine with me. I think he was going to use it as a speed bump, but as long as I get a unit past it, I can overrun through it easily enough.

Magic
Any other gut wrenching turn, it was going to be ugly without my Dispel Scroll already. I can't remember too well what happened here at this point, - oh yes, I believe he was trying to nuke my Harpies with Warp Lightning. I allowed him to have it because I don't fancy permanent T2 Corsairs. I saved all my DD for when he got around to that spell.

Shooting
More Warp Lightning Cannon greatness, continues to chip away at my unit with S8 hits. At least there was one less shot firing this turn, which I was simply thankful of.

Combat
The lone Shade died, wasn't surprised since he fluffed the charge.

The southern combat continued, my elves were getting the upper hand against his unit. He didn't break again, but he only had three ranks left, next round of combat should see them scurrying off.

Movement
Here, I was tempted to charge my Corsairs into the Slave unit. But no matter how I looked at it, it wasn't going to favourable because of the Warp Fire Thrower. If I overran, I'll hit it, then the Bell will bowl me over plus he'd have magic advantage too. I needed to push a unit of Warriors into the bell so an overrun into it will take me into its combat too. Simply put, I wasn't going to fighting the Bell this turn, so rather than charging and slaughtering slaves to be at the mercy of the Bell, I held my charge.

The Harpies flew in to kill the Fire Thrower and the center Warp Lightning Cannon (yes!), foolishly, I forgot about the Fire Thrower's S&S reaction. It fried a fair few Harpies with a good roll, there was still one alive to take care of it, hopefully. The Corsairs instead, moved up right in front of the Slaves to both shoot it and also when it charged me, there wasn't going to enough space for the Bell to wheel past it to charge my flanking Warrior units.

I should also note that Clan Rat unit 1 shifted up there because there was actually suppose to be a unit of Rats up there (I left them out). What happened at the southern side of the board didn't quite matter at this point. It was all about the Bell now

Magic
Nothing fantastic, next turn's magic will start to become more interesting.

Shooting
I made sure I didn't shoot too many slaves so as to thin their ranks out too much. I didn't want to risk allowing the Bell to wheel out and charge because of it. The Corsairs shot, the RxBs shot elsewhere.

Combat
The Gian Rats finally broke with just the front rank left. My Warriors was also quite beaten up, but at least I scored VP and he still had to destroy the remains of that train to get my VP. The train of elves ran down the Giant Rats and that was the end of the southern edge pretty much.

The Harpy that charged the Fire Thrower bounced. I didn't quite mind, because it was still going to get in the way of the Bell, which was what I wanted anyway, be it my Harpy blocking, or his Fire Thrower.

The ones at the Cannon destroyed it, that's one down, one to go!

Turn 3

Movement
Interestingly, Ed opted to charge his Slaves out at me. He tried to charge the Bell, but we agreed it wasn't going to happen because of the Warp Fire Thrower. The northern unit of rats didn't actually charge either, which was fine with me. I get to stall them for another turn now. But the best thing was the Slaves charged, and they should die and disappear this turn too, then in my turn, I'll be able to charge the Bell with both units whilst Magic was in my control. The following turn is going to be interesting for me.

Ed also reversed his southern unit of Clan Rats too. The diagram doesn't show it, but on the tabletop, it was a ploy to block my Harpies from charging the Cannon because I forgot to reform into 3+2. He successfully blocked the charge too which was frustrating.

Magic
Another large batch of dice for Ed. The Bell tolled, and he casted Scorch with it. Not what I needed! I foolishly ignored the spell because I didn't expect too many models to be hit by the small template. Unfortunately, it turns out to be 21 models were going to be hit...wtf?! All the while I was muttering "if that was the case, I would've dispelled it.". At this point, I didn't need more models dieing. I needed every model I have left to combat the Bell and what's left of his army. Regardless, a massive chunk of Corsairs died, but at least I stopped Wither again. He also Warp Lightning my Harpies and they fled because the General now was too far.

Shooting
The Cannon shot into the Corsairs, killed some Slaves, killed some precious elves. Gutter Runners in the rear continued to be a pain in the arse.

Combat
Butchered a good number of slaves, lost a few Corsairs in return. Alas, it wasn't enough to be rid of the Slaves for a clear run into the Bell next turn. This is going to be troublesome...

Movement
At this point, I couldn't really delay the charge into the Bell for much longer. More like I'm out of units to stall it. So in went the BSB unit of Warriors with their hidden Assassin. The northern unit of Warriors had one job, and that was to redirect the charge of the Clan Rats up there. So they didn't charge, which buys me another turn of stalling. They simply marched right up to the rats and turned as shown below.

Magic
For magic this round, I basically threw 5 or so PD at Word of Pain, which Ed failed to dispel. The Bell was WS1, which will help keep my BSB unit there until the Corsairs arrived. I then Black Horror'd it, anything to help quicken the destruction of the unit carrying the Bell will be fantastic at this point. Black Horror killed off a handful of rats, fantastic!

Shooting
Nothing too fantastic here now. It was more about the CC against the Bell that I was more concerned about now. The RxB was very tempted to reform to shoot at the Gutter Runners, but the thought of lots of negs to BS persuaded me not to. Instead, they aimed at weakening the northern unit of Clan Rats. (At this point, I was kicking myself - I forgot you could single out the Bell from the unit with shooting...last time I killed the Seer with 40shots into it and its Bell. I had ample of time up till now >.> - meh)

Combat
Surprisingly, my unit won combat in the end. We couldn't maximise (I'm glad) because the Slaves and ruins were all in the way. Meaning only two columns of Rats plus Bell could attack me, and Ed opted to not make way his BSB and Engineer to fight me. Fine by me. At this stage I was more concerned about holding than destroying the Bell, so all my attacks went to the Rats. Having them hit me on 5's really helped me survive.

Finally the fight with the Slaves ended with them going "kaboom" in my face. At this point, my Corsairs were only reduced down to its front rank of 7 wide including the General. Not good... At this point, I was losing heart because I doubt that's going to be enough to tackle a Bell with half a unit of Storm Vermin remaining. May Khaine smile upon me, seriously >.>

Turn 4

Movement
Northern Clanrats charged me as predicted. Southern ones moved forward to chase away my dwindling train of elves. Gutter Runners continued to move into position to annoy my units. At this stage, I dashed all hopes in destroying their last warmachine. I was out of resources to take it out now so, next turn, the train of elves are going to fall back and deny VP instead.

The rest of the turn wasn't too spectacular. Magic and shooting took off wounds here and there. CC I was still concerned about losing combat and risk breaking, so I opted to chomp the unit instead of the Bell again. Won combat so all was well thank to Word of Pain.

Movement
In went the Corsairs with the second hidden Assassin, lets see how things fare now.

The Harpies that fled rallied, so maybe there was still hope in removing the last Cannon!

The Warriors down south swift reformed and made for my board edge to remove unnecessary risks of losing needless VP.

Magic
I rolled well for Winds of Magic, and I threw all 11 PD I had at Word of Pain again. It proved very effective last turn, and I sure do need it again this turn! However, I didn't get my IF (kind of surprised), now I just pray Ed doesn't roll one up with his 6 DD... and hey guess what? He doesn't! Guess Khaine really was smiling down on me heh. With Word of Pain in effect again, I was content. Moving onto next phase.

Combat
I did the Bell first, in case anything at north went awry and randomly affected my fight with the Bell. But to make things simple, the norther unit of Warriors got stomped all over and fled. The Rats chased them down- oh well, they did their job, so...meh!

At this stage of the combat with the Bell, there wasn't much left of the Storm Vermin, so I opted to butcher every last one down first before I concentrated at the Bell later on. No challenges were issued, so we went off chomping nearly all but the command of the Storm Vermin left. I suffered some damage, but all my characters were still alive. Combat ended, I was starting to see the ray of hope at the end of this filthy vermin tunnel.

Turn 5

Movement
Ed was content on not allowing my train of Elves to escape at this point. Though he didn't charge them. Smart move on his part there too, since the Warp Fire Thrower would've been out of range otherwise. The northern Clanrats reformed to face me (even though not shown in the diagram).

The northern Gutter runners faced my rear. At this stage, Ed is pretty much trying to finish off the remaining 4 or 5 models in my surviving units for their VP. The Bell fight was going to get ugly real soon! Seriously Khaine, smile upon thee lol.

Shooting
Ed's shooting, as you can see, was mightily accurate! The Warriors got smashed, but Khaine really was smiling on me, for there were still a handful of Warriors left alive after all that. I could still make it for a draw!

Combat
The combat became more urgent for me at this stage. Surrounded and at the mercy of an unbreakable Bell unit. For my part, I decided to slay everything around the Bell and then fend off the new attackers next turn, it was my best bet for survival really. And so with great effort all but the banner bearer of the Storm Vermin was left alive and their BSB. Next turn they'll all be dead and with luck, the Bell too. There was hope still.

Movement
This turn, was going to be pivotal for the final turn of the game for me. The Warriors down south continued their march away from all the nasty stuff down there. The Harpies charged in to get rid of the final Fire Thrower that can really hurt when it wants to! The RxB reformed, what's left of them anyway, to chase off the Gutter Runners next turn or else support the big combat that was about to ensue at the Bell.

Magic
With magic, I once again spammed all my PD at Word of Pain, however, this time, I opted to cast it on the big unit of Clanrats up north. The Bell's threat was more or less neutralised, to a rather insignificant level anyway. I IF it this time, and rolled up a 7, Oh noes! three RxB died! That's a price I'd pay to keep my General's unit from losing straight out, anyday!

Combat
In this combat phase, my two Assassins went for the bell instead. there was 13 attacks between them, and I dealt a lot of wounds to it actually. Ed only managed to save one normal AS. Then as I watched him roll for his ward saves, my heart actually skipped a beat when he failed a number of them. I saw 4 and was like "woah!", too bad, there wasn't two more in there to carry it through. My BSB gave it a shot, dealt nothing. His spearelf buddies finished off the last Storm Vermin. The General decided to whack Ed's BSB down instead of the Bell, so that was that. Just the 2wound Bell left. Didn't quite work out, but still, it's looking up. But now, to face the reckoning of Ed's final counter charge.

Turn 6

Movement
The obvious charges came in. Ed must've been desperate to send in the Gutter Runners into my flanks too. Oh boy.

Shooting
Ed wisely moved his southern Gutter Runners up and poisoned my remaining unit of Harpies to death. Bummer, he really did end up protecting his final Cannon to the end :(

The Cannon itself, shot at the RxBs. Wasn't surprised to be honest. There was my Lv3 and two RxB left alive :D At least I had succeeded in denying him VP for two rather large units.

Combat
My Assassins without a doubt, went straight for his Gutter Runners. They were more threatening than the Bell at this point. Plus, they were free ACR, easier to obtain than the Bell anyway. They killed all but two thanks to some dodge rolls, and they actually managed to finish off my Warrior unit. Ouch.

My general was on the receiving end of the flank charge by the Clanrats, so I wasn't that fussed. The Corsairs were protected, I may yet see through this round of CC. The Clan Rats did nothing to my General, who smacked some Rats down with his S7 AP sword. (he was no longer in B2B with the Bell.)

The Rat Ogre pulling the Bell however, managed to kill one of my Assassins, that kinda hurt since I just gave him an extra 160 something points right there. The Bell really needed to go next turn!

The BSB went for the remaining two Gutter Runners instead of the Bell. Easier to achieve VP for the Runners instead. Of course if the Bell popped, that'd be fantastic, but I wasn't going to take risks at this point in time. Staying alive and denying him these few precious VP was my first priority. It held the game's result right there. Fortunately, my BSB managed to finish off the last two rats, that was a relief, and the CC was in my favour actually. Though the Clan Rats held on their stubborn check.

Movement
Very little need for movement here, the RxB and Spearelf train was now safe and denied their VP. Very little point in shooting now, so it was straight to magic then the final combat. - Well, magic had little impact since Word of Pain was stopped, it wasn't going to remain so lucky, and I guess it pulled through for me when it mattered the most anyway. (This game I pretty much learned that even a Lv1 could cast a spell that you need, and how to reliably cast it. It's called throwing pretty much all your dice at it if it's the spell that's going to matter the most. Something I'll be taking on board for future games and lists. ;))

Combat
So, straight to combat. Khaine seemed to have gotten bored of my struggles it seems, for the Assassin rolled +1 for his D3 attacks, of which two attacks hit with rerolls, both wounded but Ed battered them off with his 4+ ward saves (the Bell).

My BSB fluffed his rolls altogether (shows DE really can't stand prolonged combats without rerolls!)

The Rat Ogre attempted to pummel my BSB to the ground, my 1+ rerollable AS saw me through :)

The General punched down more rats for no damage in return, I lost the combat by 1 and stayed with no mishaps and that was the end of game 3. I had successfully denied him a lot of VP with each unit having 3 or so models left alive.

It was definitely one of my favourite games, it was a pleasant way to end the evening I guess. Unfortunately, Ed had managed to still score a Minor Victory, so good for him. I'm happy with it even though I was aiming for a draw. Fighting two Lightning Cannons is never ever fun... >.>

And so Game 3: Minor Loss - MEH!
Last edited by Meteor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Game 4: Dark Elf vs Lizardmen - The Banner Mission

So the second day rolled in, and by now, I was well and truly tired of facing warmachine armies and hoped for something different. Well...I got what I wished for, but the TOs had something else sick and twisted up their sleeves. I had the honour of facing off against 3 Stegs, fantastic, just what I needed for a wake up call in the morning.

To make my life more miserable, there was a river that ran down the width of the board just off center. Fantastic, glad I brought no Chariots with me this time. Anyway, with it and a temple/ruin thing in the middle, it was becoming like game 1 and its huge building in the middle. Time for another case of overloading one flank I figured. But honestly, I wasn't that scared by three Stegs because my lists these days have elements in them that are designed to tackle these types of monsters. In this case, two S6 +D3 extra attack Assassins and a S7 Dreadlord.

As the setup begun, Lochlan tried to lure some of my units to the left flank by deploying a Stagadon there. Fortunately, I had enough small units to out-deploy him before my main combat units came down. It all really came down to which position gave my RxB more clear firing lanes, and I opted for the right flank in the end. I was aware of the 15" deployment of this mission, and I figured Lochlan was going to be wanting to get those Stegs into combat quick smart. The left flank's forest meant my RxB would need to be up to it to remove the soft cover modifier, but that'd bring me too close to the Stegs, so no thanks. We also discovered the river was a poison river too, and agreed that shooting got poison too because it didn't say combat only, like the poison forest. So...fantastic, 60 poison shots a turn, another solution to the Steg problem!

Anyway, so the final deployment after much stalling and feigning is shown below. At this point, Lochlan has 6 points, and I have 5 points, and it turns out, the Saurus Warrior unit had to go in order to win. Fuuuuun...well, I won roll off so I went first, so, here goes.

Turn 1

Movement
My combat units basically marched forth, the Harpies on the left redeployed back towards my right flank. They stayed in the center so they had options for later turns. At this point I wasn't all that fussed about the Stegs, since I had means to deal with each one in my advancing units. So it basically came down to what happened as the game unfolded and how Lochlan decided to use his Stegs. The Shades marched forward a little, acting as a Harpy unit to redirect the Skinks with Kroxis' into my spear train for my counter charge next turn, if they charged.

Magic
I rolled up Withering for my Lv1 wizard, so first turn magic basically was all my PD generated, thrown at the spell. I managed to IF it, and dropped the toughness of the Steg with the Engine on it by 2 points, T4 Steg, fantastic. My wizard suffered the S6 hit result, so she was down to 1 wound, and the Lv3 on 2 wounds. Could've been worse, but meh.

Shooting
Without further ado, I shot 60 poison bolts into the T4 Engine Steg. It may sound excessive, but in the end, I only just managed to do enough wounds for Lochlan to fail 5 of the many saves he took. But, it was enough, and the Engine of the Gods Steg fell crashing to the floor, with the wizard alive. I was satisfied with that for first turn, one down, two to go!

Movement
In Lochlan's turn, interestingly, he decided to charge the Skinks with Kroxigors (SwK) right into my laid out trap unsupported. However, I was kind of tempted to flee the Shades, instead, because they'll be useful elsewhere. But the risk of Lochlan managing to redirect the charge and get into my spear train, wasn't an idea I fancied. I wasn't at all concerned, even if I lost the combat, it was highly likely I was going to remain steadfast on a Ld10 reroll, then I'd have two units in position to flank it next turn, possibly breaking them then reforming to face the approaching Steg. But, I stuck to the plan in the end and held - and predictably, the Shades got bowled over and the SwKs did overrun into the Spear train. Perfect. :D

Everything else but the all important Saurus block surged forward. The Skink Priest ran over to join the unit, no surprises there. So now, it really was a massive unit of everything, looks like I'll need to fight my way through to them, whilst the concept seemed pretty cool, it wasn't going to be... >.>

Magic
Nothing spectacular happened here, my scroll wasn't used up at this point.

Turn 2

Movement
Well, with the SwKs now sitting right where I wanted, both the Corsairs and the 15 Warrior unit charged into its flank to seal its doom. Unless if he rolled double 1's for his break check afterwards, or if I fluff my rolls really badly.

The Harpies bundled behind the combat, I wasn't quite sure where to move them to at this point. So I figured holding them back till when I actually needed them, will be a better idea.

Magic
Well, since Withering worked so well with the poison shots last turn, I figured, why not doing it again! I once again rolled an IF for my Withering, dropped this next Steg's toughness by 2points. However, my wizard blew up and died, and since spell is a 'Remains in Play', it went with the wizard. Well...that was a retarded magic phase haha.

Shooting
Nonetheless, 60poison shots should see me through, even without the lower toughness to help me out. Unless the dice rolls aren't in your favour, which was the case here. Very very few poison wounds, and the remaining hits hardly scratched the hide of the dinosaur. Still, I managed to inflict 4 wounds to it, so if it barged into my Assassin hidden unit, or where my General was, it was going to die :D.

Combat
I never knew I'd see the day elves was rolling 3's for wounding without anything to aid them! Gota love T2 skinks! My three units basically went to town on the SwK unit, by the time I was done, the Kroxigors were in the front rank! He smashed some elves aside with them, but ultimately, the broke and ran. The Corsairs reformed as planned, as did the Spear train. The 15 Warrior unit chased, and managed to run them down. I wasn't too fussed if they didn't catch them, because the unit was now less than 25%, so their chances of rallying on double 1, was dismal.

With one Steg down, another on its death throes, and one combat unit down, I was in a rather comfortable position, and things began to look up for me. (Thank you poison river!)

Movement
At this point, Lochlan was actually contemplating in charing the Saurus block right into my Corsairs along with the wounded Steg. If he actually had done that, I might've been in a bit of a pinch. But fortunately, he rather played it safe and well...only charged in the wounded Steg.

Razordon and Salamanders pushed forward and were finally within range to silence my RxBs. Well, damage has already been done, these guys can pack up and go home celebrate with their new hides in my books. The remaining Steg pushed towards the flank of the Corsairs, the river would buy me some time, and now the Harpies also had a job to do :)

Shooting
The shooting was rather painful, not as painful as Skaven cannons, but still unpleasant. The combine fire killed off a handful of RxBs, they panicked but held, thankfully. I'll be needing to do something about them soon :?

Combat
Well, the one and only combat, the Steg bowled some elves over with its impact hits. Then the Assassin popped out and cutted himself a Stegadon. At this stage, Lochlan was hating Assassins haha. Plan succeeded, the path is now clear and we're now in the home stretch, to his Saurus block!

Turn 3

Movement
I held my charges on this turn. It was a very tempting notion to try and go for the winning charges now, but in order to ensure I won the combat quick smart and to swing the advantage heavily in my favour, I needed a combined charge, and a rather safe and reliable chance of pulling it off too. There was a Steg threatning my flanks at this point, and the RxBs were in no position to take it out, so, with such debates circulating through my head, I decided to hold charges, reposition and go for it next turn if Lochlan didn't charge. Honestly, sometimes, rushing too fast ahead is one's undoing, I've witnessed many times, and experienced the downside of rushing ahead and charging whenever one could. Being patient and not charging when your opponent expects you to, some times actually throws them off! I've seen that work many times before and I applied it here this time too.

A unit of Harpies however, decided to charge the flank of the Salamander unit. How it was going to work out, beats me, but they were now holding them up, which is good news for my RxBs.

The now Sorc-less unit of warriors went up to chase off the skirmishing dinosaurs next round if they weren't dealt with. And the other unit of Harpies moved up ready to redirect the charge of the approaching Stegadon.

Combat
Once again, gotta love Skinks! Harpies hitting on 3s!? and wounding on 3s!? omg! As many attacks as possible, went for the skinks, to try and kill for ACR and break the Salamander unit. Not enough attacks got through to kill and swing the fight strongly to my side. The Salamanders held, but failed to combat reform. Ho ho ho!

Movement
The remaining Steg didn't charge, and neither did the Saurus Warriors. I was smiling, they didn't charge? Excellent. He pulled them back out of the forest, so now I'll be fighting in it and thus losing steadfast if I lost combat. Well, not that fussed about it honestly, because the Steg wasn't going to get into my flanks any time soon, and I shouldn't lose combat if the fight is going to be predominantly in my terms.

Combat
The Harpies this time, managed to swing CR in my favour enough that by the end of the combat, his Salamanders actually broke and fled! My Harpies chased, caught them and was into the flanks of the Razordons! WoW! Go go Harpies!

Turn 4

Movement
At this point, all hell broke loose. In went the double charge of Corsairs and Spear train. Everything else didn't quite matter. The remaining unit of Harpies moved up to redirect the Steg and thus, protected the flank of my Corsairs from a potential game changing charge!

Magic and Shooting
There hadn't been anymore interesting and game changing spells or shooting damage so far aside from the mentioned. So I've just skipped these parts.

Combat
The Razordon combat came to another standstill as the Harpies didn't do enough wounds to win the combat decisively. But once again, Loch' couldn't combat reform, so now the Razordons were also in trouble.

The big important combat ensued with much killing for both sides. Loch' lost the combat, but he pulled off a double 1 break test right there, So off to round 2, but thankfully there isn't going to be a Steg in their flank this turn set.

Movement
Here, all that was left to do was charging the Steg into the Harpies, who held and died, just the way it was intended to happen.

Combat
To wrap up, the Harpies got squashed by mere Impact Hits. The other flanking Harpy unit won the combat and also ran down the Razordons, which is just absolutely epic!

The final combat against the Saurus Warriors was eventful to say the least. To cut a long story short, I basically did significant damage to the unit, to the point where all he had left of the unit was the front rank plus his characters. However, this time he wasn't so lucky, and broke from combat well and truly. I caught the unit, but I had already won the game without needing to actually catch them.

At the end, I was quite proud of being able to deal with 2 of 3 Stegs, and was relieved AND surprised I won with a massacre result. Guess they aren't so bad after all when you come prepared. The poison river helped a lot too, so that was a great asset after all.

Anyway, in the end, Game 4: Massacrefor DE

p.s. I'll have the 5th and final report up tomorrow, I'm sorry these are taking a rather long time to be posted, hope you're all enjoying the read!
Last edited by Meteor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Game 5: Dark Elf - me Purple vs Dark Elf - him Blue - The diagonal setup with reserves

In this final match, I managed to win the roll off for deployment, so I got to pick the diagonals and deployed first. The first thing I noted was the diagonal fences that stretched across the middle of one of the diagonals. Whilst it would be great for use as a defended obstacle, it also served my opponent the same benefits. I rather forgo the benefits it yields than needing to deal with it when it's not benefiting me. Something tells me that I don't need handicaps against our own kindred, nor do I really need its benefits either. So, for that reason, I decided the other diagonal that crosses the fences instead.

Everything of mine turned up except for the BSB and spearmen train. Kinda meh. My Lv1 Shadow Sorc sat in the tower with her 15 warrior bunker. I took Miasma this game, and it has 48" range so I don't need her moving about to cast it anyway. I kept my deployment relatively back, as I'm aware he has ASF Knights and if he does go first, he'll be able to charge down my Corsairs if they're deployed too close to the center line. My other unit of 15 Warriors deployed behind the building, to hold off whatever wants to come at my flanks.

Luke's deployment is shown below, and his BG didn't turn up. It was also amusing he deployed his unit of 20 RxB in front of my unit of 30, and I was sitting in a forest, and he wasn't. So I was confident in being safe from his shooting, but I wasn't so sure about him. I've been dealing an average of 10wounds in a volley in my previous 4 games, which means around half of Luke's RxBs would die, thereby, halving their potency in one go. That'll be fun.

Luke managed to seize first turn however, so, off he went.

Turn 1

Movement
Luke's BG came on on the far right side, interesting, but I guess there wasn't many other spots to come on without getting blocked. His Corsairs and Chariot decided to go around the building however, I wasn't phased by that really, kinda amused I was able to prepare something for that during deployment. His spearmen ended up being in front of his Knights, which I immediately took note of. It was a great opportunity to stop his Knights charging, and to actually make the charge into them instead. It either meant stopping the Spearelves from advancing further forward, or overrunning past them. My movement phase was going to be interesting!

Magic
What was also interesting, was that Luke decided to not switch one of his generated spells to Chillwind. He had Word of Pain though, but only needing to watch out for one spell that could cripple my RxBs was better than minding two spells. (I had three :D)

His winds of magic was poor, rolling a double 1. He casted Word of Pain on my RxBs, and stabbed an elf. I simply scrolled it.

Shooting
His shooting was also poor too, I didn't really give him much target choice since things were either in forests or behind buildings. The RBT in the tower killed off a Shade, the rest of his shooting killed off a RxB and that was it. The returned shots were going to hurt!

Movement
My train of spearelves came on, and I decided to put them and the right flank's warriors side by side along the gap of the building, thereby, forming a shield wall that Luke's Corsairs and Chariot must get through. I was setting up a double charge for him, and I wasn't going to be fussed if he only charged one of the units either because I have an Assassin hidden in the 15 Warrior unit. (see how great CC Assassins are ;))

My Corsairs moved into firing range of the Spearmen, and the Harpies flew up to block his Knights. That way, Luke couldn't double charge me with his Spears AND Knights.

My shades failed their average charge roll of 7, so the RBT lives for another turn, meh.

Magic
I rolled ok for winds of magic, I casted Chillwind on his RxB, which he strangely enough, allowed me to cast. (wtf?)

He blocked Word of Pain, but at this point, I didn't really care, because his RxBs were disabled for a turn, so my Corsairs were safe. I managed to cast Miasma off on his Corsairs, he underestimated its potency, and I managed to roll a 5 for WS reduction, thereby, reducing his SSS Corsairs to WS1. Fantastic magic phase for me.

Shooting
I basically focused all my shooting into his Warriors, I needed to deal enough damage to them so that when I charged, or when he charged next turn, he won't be steadfast by the end of the combat. My combined shooting did plenty of damage, and once again, task fulfilled. He was small enough that I was confident in breaking him and his steadfast.

Turn 2

Movement
His BG moved up, and ran into a poison forest, (Khaine I love you!) Mother nature claims 5 BG (another interesting thing to note, he deployed his BGs 10 wide and 2 deep, whilst they're stubborn...I still think they're better off less wide, for practicality sake anyway...

His Corsairs failed their frenzy check and the BSB was out of range, so in they came, along with his Chariot since well...no point sending off the Corsairs on their own, despite being WS1 now.

His Warriors didn't charge me, fair enough. But his Knights charged my blocking Harpies instead, fine by me really.

Magic
Another not so eventful magic phase on his part, once again, the only spell I was waiting for with my handful of DD, was Word of Pain. He could deal as much damage to me as he liked, but WS1 is a big no no.

Shooting
Another uneventful shooting phase for him, since the RxBs were now silenced, his RBTs continues to chip away at my RxB line, one model at a time.

Combat
The Chariot did a number of wounds on me, his Corsairs managed a couple of wounds. In return I did three wounds to his Chariot from the BSB and the spearmen train, since that's all they could hit. I held off from revealing my Assassin, because I didn't want to risk getting him killed, and it wasn't necessary to use him yet. If the Chariot was there, he'd come out, but no so, he can stay hidden.

The combat saw me winning comfortably, but he held both units, but atleast he now lost Frenzy. Perfect.

Movement
In this turn, it was going to be painful for Luke. The Shades charged the tower, easily making it in. The Corsairs charged his spearmen unit with the SS, and the Warriors in the tower got out in anticipation to hold off the BGs when they came closer next turn, or else redirect them away from my RxB line so I got another turn of shooting. The Lv1 remained in her tower.

Magic
I Word of Pained his Knights instead, which he allowed through. I guess he didn't foresee my plan of overrunning into them next turn and thus, protecting my Corsairs from his wrath until my magic phase again. Miasma weakened his spearmen by one point, fine by me, now I'll hit on 3's stead at least.

His RxBs weren't chillwinded this time, but it didn't matter because my RxBs were still in the forest, he could shoot at my Harpies by all means, or the 15 Warriors which were going to die by the hands of his BG anyway, and the Corsairs were in combat, so...all good.

Shooting
Oh my RxBs also reformed their line to face the approaching BG, I'll hit on 7's this turn, but back to 5's next turn on my average 10 wound rolls. So by the time the BG gets to my RxBs, they'd be all gone, hopefully.

So as I shot, I actually managed to pick off a couple of BG, which was fantastic for hitting on 7's.

Combat
This turn, I did reveal my hidden Assassin in the 15 Warrior unit to help seal the odds of breaking his units on the left flank this round. He was striking at normal WS, but with 1 less attack and no more reolls to hit, so my Assassin was going to be relatively safe.

His Chariot did a few more wounds before my GW BSB smacked it down. My Assassin and fellow Warriors went to town on the Corsairs, the Assassin survived and what was left of his Corsairs broke this time on a Ld test of double 1's with no rerolls. So we chased him down with both units so that I was in the clear of the building, sort of. Then next turn I could wheel around and threaten the rear of his Knights if need be.

The Corsairs fighting the Spearmen ignored the SS with a 4+ ward, we focused on killing as many spears to stack the CR to our favour. I lost a few Corsairs in the exchange, and once again, my Assassin stayed hidden this round to keep him guessing. Anyway, sure enough, his Spearmen broke, got runned down and I overran into his Knights to deny him his S6 lance charge. So there goes his Lv3 and a potentially devastating charge that probably would've ended the life of my Corsairs.

The Shades took care of the RBT and popped out of the building so they could move up for the final RBT in the following turn.

Turn 3

Movement
Not much movement for Luke this turn, he pushed his BGs out of the poison forest and into the open. Well, I'm now ready to wreck havoc on them with my RxBs next turn, so, great.

Shooting
His RxBs and RBT went for my RxB unit, and killed a few, not enough to cause me grief.

Combat
Despite dropping Word of Pain on him, his unit still managed to kill a handful of my Corsairs. I revealed my Assassin, who went for his typical unkillable DL setup we see often here. I figured S4 AP has a better chance of killing him than my S7 AP Dreadlord. I did a wound to him despite my 7 attacks, it was probably a bad idea since he was passing all saves but 5 and 6s. Still, it was worth a shot. My dreadlord killed 4, and I actually lost combat as a result, but still, I held and now he's lost Hydra Banner benefits. So next round will be more in my favour.

Movement
My BSB train went into the building, I figured it'd be a quicker way to get back into the fight than to follow the other unit of Warriors around the building. Shades and Harpies moved up to kill his last RBT, the Warriors from the tower moved up to redirect the BG's charge next turn. Everything seemed to be in order as of now, and without his SS resisting my spells now, life just got easier.

Magic
I kept his RxBs locked down with Chillwind, and maintained Word of Pain onto his Knights. I also attempted to Miasma their I low enough so that they couldn't get the rerolls for having ASF. I didn't roll high enough, but meh.

Shooting
Long story short, devastating enough that there was one BG left after it was done.

Combat
He struck with his remaining Knights, killed a couple of Corsairs, this time I ignored his Dreadlord, and even his BSB, and everyone focused on stacking enough CR from killing his Knights that he'd break and run. The Corsairs actually killed a Knight (OMG!) the Assassin rolled really poor even with rerolls, but still claimed a Knight. The Dreadlord killed another two, and it was enough for him to fail his break test this time, and all guns blazing, we caught the unit. Best way to kill characters, make their unit run, and cut them down with their unit.

Turn 4

Movement
At this point, it was pretty much all over, but Luke still wished to continue with it so, off we went. (darn no early lunch for me! ><)

The remaining BG charged into the Warriors for shiz and giggles - and died without killing anyone. (yaaay)

Shooting
His RBT was much more accurate this time, and wiped out my unit of Shades (awww....)

Movement
Not much left to do now. Harpies charged the RBT and as expected, cleaned it up, everyone else moved forward to finish off his RxB.

Magic
Threw enough dice at Chillwind to lock them down again without risking an IF.

Shooting
Showered him with arrows of love, oddly enough, 3/4 of them found it revolting and died, I presumed the survivors were not true DE.

At this point, we called it. (yay I get my early lunch after all!)
What can I say here, it was certainly relaxing to fight an army I knew about for a finisher. Luke probably made some unwise decisions, and I gotta say, 60 shots a turn from RxBs is just unpleasant. So that's probably a build I'm going to avoid using in the future unless we're looking for a WAAC army. I probably replace them with another unit of RHB corsairs instead for a bit more softness.

Anyway, that concludes my two day tournament. Hope you all enjoyed reading.

Oh, Game 5: Massacre for DE, also Massacred too. (and who said DE weren't emo...) :P
Last edited by Meteor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

Great work! Enjoyed every bit of it :D
Warpanda
Trainee Warrior

Post by Warpanda »

Grats on the tourney and your performance.

Now that it is over, how would you rate your choices in your list? How do you think your units/characters performed overall?

I am curious about your thoughts on the assasins.
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

Great work. Can you please answer the question i asked in your army lists thread?
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Well, as it turns out, it's not as easy as it seems to setup successful flank charges, so the two units of 15 Warriors hardly got to do what they were suppose to. But even so, they make great redirecting units when you're out of Harpies and Shades. Their presence on the field simply makes your army look bigger, and gives another worry to the unprepared players. They make great subtle hiding spots for your Assassins too.

I think the RxBs were the star of my army. Mainly due to the fact I faced off against lots of T3 armies, and when I faced the triple Steg army, I was given a poison river to counter with for my RxBs. I imagined that battle would've turned out to be a little harder if we rolled up something other than a poison river ;)
But still, 60 shots a turn, an average of 10-12 wounds against regular T3 units, it doesn't take long to cripple one enough for my combat units to charge in and finish them off, or just to continue shooting until they die.

One thing I'm most pleased with, is the AP banner on my RHB corsairs. I'd take it over SSS any day to be honest. The killing potential is much better, and I've lost count of how many times my opponent would've saved more than half of the wounds inflicted if it wasn't for the extra -1.

The thing I'm most pleased about, is the support roles my characters played in my units, just the way they should be used. S3 infantry deals with T3 enemies, Dreadlord and Assassins deal with heavy cav and tough characters/monsters. The two backs each other up nicely, turning my Corsairs and Warriors into all rounder combat units capable of taking on whatever. Further back them up with magic in the form of Word of Pain and Miasma, they then become capable of soloing something for a short period of time.

The Assassins themselves, I was quite pleased with their performance. I've only needed to use one in half my games, and during times when both are revealed, I usually just lose one from CC. Most enemies are hitting them on 5's, and with 2 wounds, they'll be able to burst their damage, then direct a number of attacks away from his unit. It could mean the difference between steadfast and not in some cases.

They're simply a great distraction, and I've lost count of how many people muttering about the presence of my Assassin(s) in a unit. I can comfortably reveal a flank to a chariot because of the Assassin. Sure I'll lose some models from impact hits, but a chariot usually pops after that. Rending star Assassins are great, but so are CC ones when you time the reveals right. Many times I don't reveal them right away when combat starts, sometimes I hold them off for a round or two, and then reveal them when they actually need to do some damage.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

Granulations, very nice rep, and pictures. It's allways good to read such a piece.
But it was luck, or Mortars are so inaccurate? My empire opponent almost allaweys hit with them.

I must say one thing - many peuple say RBT are crap, also COC are crap. But mwybe you opponent couldn't cripple you if he had used them properly, he placed them and used his forces,.. let's yous say, not optimal. Single bolt can be devastating on flanks, a specially becked up with Shadow.
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

Loved your battle reports. My only complaint is that I often found myself trying to figure out which units your characters were in, it was a bit tricky to keep up with. Congratulations once again!
L'etat c'est moi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by L'etat c'est moi »

Great reports! I enjoyed how you wrote out your strategy for every move.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

That was an awesome report, very informative and well played.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Awesome reports Meteor - I'm thoroghly enjoying the Battle Chronicler use! :D

Though sadly mate I have to point out that venom thickets only give poisoned attacks to close combat attacks :cry: I was caught out in a game (having played that they affected all attacks previously) at a tournamnet when I deployment my crossbowmen in a venom thicket - doh!
Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

It wasn't a venom thicket he used against the Lizzies, but a river ;)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Aye, the Venom Thicket does unfortunately states specifically that only CC attacks get the poison. (only models in it too for that matter I believe).

But the river we rolled up doesn't specifically says the poison attacks is only for CC, so we both agreed on for ranged too :D

My opponent saw Razordons doing 2 artillery dice worth of poison shots, I saw 60 guaranteed poison shots :D

Thank you all for the comments too, I'm glad to know these Breps aren't boring haha. :)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock