Tom's Youtube Battle Reports

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

tmarichards wrote:It's certainly a thought, but I'm finding the level 1 to be getting better and better. I'm actually considering splitting the Witches into 2 units of 10, or even 3 units of 5-6 because they don't seem to be doing so much- the Corsairs are rapidly becoming my staple combat unit.

Well from what I have found from the witches is that they do a lot of damage as long as the front 10 are alive, the supporting attacks are great but they are not as important as having that front rank. This is why I have found 30 to amazing since they can always attack at full strengh so points are never wasted and they rarely get below 10 models unless I am really really losing in which case it no longer matters. The idea of having multiple small units is cool but it also means that they won't be functioning with mind razor or cauldron buffs.
Cheers,
-Ave
Deadlydragoon
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Deadlydragoon »

I've had great success with small units of Witches, i generally like to run 3 bare units of 7. They still throw out enough attacks to really hurt enemies, and are small enough that losing them doesn't hurt much
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

I'll definitely agree that 30 is better than 20- I don't know if you saw my South Coast GT reports before I deleted them from my channel, but I ran 36 there and they were very tasty indeed.

I just like the added flexibility of different choices, and I also have a pathological fear of taking anything that gives away 300+VPs in one fell swoop (Chuck is the exception because, well, he's Chuck)
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Tom --

I appreciate the time and effort you put into these reports, and I did watch parts of two of them, but the videos were a bit long for my taste. I think I am far more likely to watch a 15 minute report than a 30 minute report. Me and my short attention span ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Would you consider Black Guard instead of witches? if so why?, if not why?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

tmarichards wrote:I'll definitely agree that 30 is better than 20- I don't know if you saw my South Coast GT reports before I deleted them from my channel, but I ran 36 there and they were very tasty indeed.

I just like the added flexibility of different choices, and I also have a pathological fear of taking anything that gives away 300+VPs in one fell swoop (Chuck is the exception because, well, he's Chuck)

Well one thing to keep in mind is that the bigger the unit the harder it is to get victory points from them so you might be improving your chances of preventing a loss of points, not to mention that by removing the level 1 with fire you reduce the points that come from a fairly vulnerable unit of spears and the level 4. I definatly agree the different choices are nice and you have plenty in your army compared to many of the 8th ed tourney lists. Cheers,
-Ave
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Cheers Dyvim, I appreciate some of them are a bit long but I'm glad you've enjoyed parts of them :) Perhaps put them on while you're painting and have them as background noise? In any case, thanks for the feedback :)

Dirty Mac- In my opinion, Black Guard are a fantastic unit. With just magic banners, weapons and unit upgrade (Banner of Murder, champion with Crimson Death) they become a great unit that can deal with armoured stuff and still pack a wallop against infantry. However, Witches tend to do both roles better once they have been buffed, and are noticeably cheaper. For example, a maxed out unit of Black Guard is around 325 pts, whereas my Witches come in a full 100pts cheaper.

However, when I'm not taking Shadow magic, I always take Black Guard. I can see why people might take Black Guard over Witches anyway, but I find it to be very much down to personal experience, as well as what is in the rest of the army- but essentially, Black Guard are a fantastic all-comers, stand alone unit that needs no buffs, which cannot be said for Witch Elves. However, once you do get those buffs onto Witches, I personally think Witches become better.
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

*takes sip of tea*"

Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Updated with Cardiff Carnage!

*takes sip of tea*"

Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Just finished the cardiff videos and they are probably your most solid one yet. So you seemed surprised that your list was not in the "dirty dozen", was that because the other lists there were a bit softer since I do not think your list is very cheesy, it is strong but not rediculous, especially for a tournement list. Once again great work !
Cheers,
-Ave
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

I think my list looked good on paper, but in practice a lot of it didn't go together very well.

There were some nasty lists though.,,

*takes sip of tea*"

Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Well I definatly think dark elves without lords are tough since our lord builds are really amazing. If you had taken a level 2 with shadow and given her the tome of furion and then the pendant then she could have probably gotten mindrazor and use a lot of dice to miscast but still cast it and be safe from the result. Just out of curiosity why did you have your black guard in 2 ranks of 10, it seems like they are set up to deal a lot of damage but at the same time take a lot back, maybe in 4 ranks of 5 would have made them more solid and able to really hold up an enemy unit, plus if you wanted more attacks you could have re formed after.
Cheers,
-Ave
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Mainly, I set them up to deal out as much damage as possible- if something can attack them, they can hit it as well- and more often than not, Black Guard hit harder and first.

Deploying wider also limits the damage caused by war machines, which are (in my experience) one of the worst match-ups for Black Guard. Width also gives me an advantage against narrower opponents, seeing as I physically have more models in base to base (corner to corner).

Another bonus is the increased charge ranger- measuring charges from the closest point means that wider unit have a much more dangerous charge zone than a narrower unit.

Also, I think it looks cooler :)

*takes sip of tea*"

Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

I actually never though of the increased charge range from wide units, that's really clever. You are definatly right about war machines though, they are really rough to play against. So what's your conclusion about blackguard? Mine have been packed away for most of this edition but are you finding them worth running or were they in your list just because of the comp?
Cheers,
-Ave
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

They were in mine just because of the comp, they're a fantastic stand alone unit but I find Corsairs with Mindrazor to be better. However, taking a unit does allow you to deal with armour/higher toughness without buffs, so I'm going to do some experimenting with a double Black Guard list.

Got another tournament report coming up soon where I used Black Guard, they did pretty well.

I think that whenever I can't take Shadow magic, or can't realiably cast that Shadow magic, I'll be taking Black Guard.

*takes sip of tea*"

Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

They were in mine just because of the comp, they're a fantastic stand alone unit but I find Corsairs with Mindrazor to be better. However, taking a unit does allow you to deal with armour/higher toughness without buffs, so I'm going to do some experimenting with a double Black Guard list.

Got another tournament report coming up soon where I used Black Guard, they did pretty well.

I think that whenever I can't take Shadow magic, or can't realiably cast that Shadow magic, I'll be taking Black Guard.

*takes sip of tea*"

Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Updated with Tempest 4: Redemption

*takes sip of tea*"

Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Great battle reports, even when ur sick and almost died:) - as all guys do when we are sick:)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Assani wrote:Great battle reports, even when ur sick and almost died:) - as all guys do when we are sick:)

Man flu is a truly terrible sickness that I would not wish on my worse enemy...

*takes sip of tea*"

Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Sick, or should I say bad shape again in Tempest 4, unlucky:(.

But not so unlucky as the loss in the last battle vs Bret. With only one dice roll in ur favor, the draw had been there. Average dice roll, I would say u would have won that battle. Unfortunately, that's the power of the dice....

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Agreed, still a bit bitter but these things happen. Still taking a few lessons away from the game, so as long as I'm learning the game isn't a total write off.

*takes sip of tea*"

Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Updated with 2 tournament previews. 2! Consider it me reaching out through the internet and giving you a hug.

*takes sip of tea*"

Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Ur cat= rofl:) - poor thing:)

Btw, I have never tried 2 CoB, so it will be int to see how that works out for u:)

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Updated with Impfest V

*takes sip of tea*"

Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Updated with Warlords GT 2011

*takes sip of tea*"

Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Great BR as usuall:), but maybe not ur best tourney:(

It seems to me that DE struggles more now generally in tourney cause of the comps that out there:(

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3