First game with new book vs woc

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Deplayer
Trainee Warrior

First game with new book vs woc

Post by Deplayer »

so i played my first game with the new book against woc and it went pretty well. it was a 3000 pt game and i cant rememebr all that either of us had and some of both of our stuff did nothing like my black guard with tullaris in it which never saw combat.
my army was something like this:
hellebron on couldron (went in exec)
lv 4 SS dark with dagger (went in spears for dagger fodder)

lv 2 sorc (in one of the rxbs)
tullaris (in black guard)

20 rxbs
10 spears
5 DR
18 witches

25 exec
10 COK
hydra
15 blackguard.

woc army was something like this, cant remember exactly:
DP nurgle, 1+ 5++ fly ect..
bsb on skullcrusher
low level caster i think slanesh (in warrior unit)

a couple of units of hounds
1 or 2 charriots
marauders
forsaken unit of like 20 i think . they didnt do much
1 unit of 20 tzinch warriors
gorebeast charriot
chimera
9 skullcrushers
hell cannon

turn one i moved up and not much happened, shooting did nothing all game but maybe kill some dogs. his turn one he moved up and the hell cannon missed the cauldron

turn 2 my wiches charge the DP because i forgot he had great armot also. they did a wound , and tied i think the first turn.
hydra charges and kills dogs, overunns into nothing.
his turn 2 the hell cannon exploded due to miscast. he manuevered some and charges the hydra with the gorbeast and kills it. hydras are not as tough as they used to be. he soundly beats the witches with the DP but they are subborn.

my turn 3 the COK charge the unit of warriors in the front, kill many and they break but i fail to run him down. i doom bolt the chimera as it is lined up to rear charge the executioners with hellebron and cauldron in them and do 2 wounds. witches are killed to the man from great attacks and a 6 on thunder stomp. also cast word of pain bumped up on the skullcrushers that are poised to front charge the executioners with hellebron and drop the crushers stats by 3..

his turn 3 and why i am writing this report, he rear charges the executioners with the chimera, flank charges them with the DP and front charges them with the crushers. rest of the game doesent matter after this. the chimera gets cut down before it can attack by the 4 executioners in BTB doing the last 2 wds. hellebron does like 8 wds on the crushers because she is insane and got +3 attacks from the rune of khaine. the rest of the executioners who have like 30 attacks go into the crushers and kill all but one because they strike first due to the word of pain Initiative impairment. the return attacks kill maybe 3 exeutioners. the deamon prince kills a few executioners but kinda whiffs his attacks and the tstom was just ok for maybe 5 or 6 guys total, the crushers run and thus the BSB is destroyed. DP of course is unbreakable

my turn 4, boosted word of pain the DP for -2 i think, hellebron challenges and smokes his bags since he took a wound or two from last round with the executioners. he then concedes and proceded to call hellebrom broken. i tolld him it was less her and more the spell word of pain that dropped his initiative letting her reroll misses but he was little comforted. '

to recap, executioners with hellebron on cauldron were front charged by maybe the scarryest MC in the game, flank charged by a DP, and rear charged by a chimera and in 2 rounds of combat had killed it all. good lord. shooting did nothing, but the major scale tipper was the boosted spell word of pain cause it let me strike first .
Dragon9
Assassin

Re: First game with new book vs woc

Post by Dragon9 »

Nice.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I think that you should have told your opponent "actually no, it would seem that it is in fact your ARMY that is now broken..." :twisted:

A nice summary of the game although I'd like to know more about why your Black Guard failed to make an impact and what you would do differently to save your Witches. Also, why did you put Hellebron in the Executioners when the witch elves benefit much more from the Cauldron's ward save? You can always put Tullaris in the Exes for the Frenzy and then cast the Super Frenzy bound spell from the Cauldron if you wanted to pump them even more. Also, the witches would benefit from the multiple high strength attacks that Hellebron gives any unit that she joins and survives in.

I love black guard, but I feel that the best way to use them is with a Life level 4 or a Beast Mage (Wildform) in support, and perhaps (if you really wanted to go experimental!) a Shrine too! :P Glad to see that Dark magic worked well for you - what lore did your level 2 take and would you consider getting rid of her and instead adding some Warlocks?

I would definitely drop the Hydra and with the remaining points take some bolt throwers and boost your Witches and Executioners.
Deplayer
Trainee Warrior

Post by Deplayer »

So the reason the black guard with tullaris made no impact was because they never got into combat because I deployed them on my right flank and he concentrated almost his whole army on my left. They were opposite the tzinch warriors but they took COK to the face and broke. (He only had 3 ranks and the cold ones killed enough to deny his steadfast, also they did very little in return due to the high armor save). After that I could not move the BG fast enough to my left flank to help, though it turned out they were not needed.

The witches just could not get through the 1+ armor of the DP. I forgot he also had armor not just a ward like daemons. I would have sent them at any unit other than the DP to better use them.

Hellebron and the cauldron were in the executioners so I could hord them and only pay for like 20 of them, executioners are the best horded unit in the game. The witches are squishy and s3 so they don't kill as readally as the exes do. I realize the witches get the better buff but I can still see them getting overwhelmed by armot, even with hellebron reliably cutting 7 guys a turn down. Heaven help inner circle knights that charge her....

Level 2 took shadow, got miasma and enfeebling, but never cast anything as I was haveing too meh success with the lv4 dark. Also, the dagger never once got used and has been forever dropped. The hydra too has seen its last days and has been replaced with a khradyss for experimenting. I will be bringing warlocks and the lv 2 will be a beast scroll jockey. I may in the end drop the lvl 2 all together but I'm not ready to step away from 2wizards, I just feel naked, probably from my time as a vamp player.

Also dropped the BG all together and used the points for a master bsb with 1+ reroll able. I feel character heavy but I'm still trying to figgure out what works.
Wolden Spoons
Sacrificed to Khaine on Death Night

Post by Wolden Spoons »

To be fair taking a unit of warlocks is like taking a second wizard but is a fast disruptive monster of a unit with a great ward save.

All in, pretty much perfection.

They will certainly handle more than a level 2 caddy. And if the knife has gone then your level 4 can take the scroll.
Strykan ar stark I den har.
Razhoir
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Razhoir »

As you might have seen, Black Guard is now competing with many other good special units. Most of our opponents know they can deal a great number of attacks and stand their ground... but they are terribly squishy. Most of my games, enemies shot them to pieces or redirected them as I was trying to move under cover, hidden from the gunlines. Considering their cost, I decided to drop the BG (whereas I seldom ran without them in 7th ed).

As for the Hydra, she is indeed more vulnerable against very strong characters / MC. On the other hand, the new regeneration makes it better against regular low-strenght troops. And flaming attacks don't matter anymore now. Not a nerf then... And she's still quite cheap.