Lord Drakon's 8th edition Battle Reports

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

DarkSky
Corsair

Re: Lord Drakon's Battle Reports

Post by DarkSky »

Is there a special rule allowing you to make your Master the BSB? Otherwise you need to select him as the general (most LD) and so he couldn't be BSB. I agree with the concerns regarding the command groups and wouldn't give them to the Witch Elves (except maybe a musician). But I guess you try to maximize the number of standards.

I don't agree with the lack of high strength stuff. The RBT and Searing Doom should be enough to handle the small amounts of high armoured targets and you have the Hydra as well.
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thank you for the replies !

All battles are focused on fortitude and banners, 5 battles in total. Here is the rulepack : https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... pp=WordPdf

Armies had to be power level 3 or 4, a power level 1 list would be full dark rider core, lvl 2 death + master on steed, 3 rbt and 8 shades which is heavy comped.

The plan is to take out enemy infantry with Hydra and Witch Elves. Shades hunt enemy warmachines and provide some shooting, while RBT gives me strategic advantage of range and anti-chaff or anti-armour. Searing Doom against the many units of knights I expect (WoC, Empire, Bretonnia).

The magic phase can be more powerful as the casting player’s power pool will be D6+1 dice, instead of 2D6. The dispelling player’s dispel pool will be D3+1, instead of using the highest of the 2D6 roll for the Winds of Magic.

These are the primary objectives

Strategic Superiority

To conquer enemy lands means to take and hold as much of it as possible. Your task in this battle is to control as much terrain as possible with your army.

At the end of the battle, divide the table into four quarters. If you have more fortitude points in a table quarter than your opponent, you have claimed that table quarter. If you have claimed more table quarters at the end of the game, you have achieved your primary objective.

Into the Breach!

Your army commander has been on a big push into enemy territory and you have been tasked to break through the enemy lines.

To achieve this primary objective, you must have 2 or more fortitude points in the enemy deployment zone at the end of the battle.

Break the Enemy!

You are instructed to wear the enemy army down by destroying his units, one by one, giving you control of the battlefield.

Your primary objective in this battle is to break the enemy army. This is done by reducing the number of fortitude points in the enemy army to 2 or less.

Take the hill!

You have been ordered to capture and hold a strategic area, vital to your army’s campaign.

Your objective in this battle is to hold the centre of the table. Measure out a circle with a radius of 12” from the centre of the table. If you have more fortitude points in this area than your opponent at the end of the game, you have achieved your primary objective.

Domination!

You have been ordered to destroy the enemy army, but you have to make sure that you don’t wear out your own in the process.

After the battle, calculate victory points as discussed in the “Fields of Battle” section. If one of the players has scored 300+ victory points more than his opponent, he has achieved his primary objective.

You also have 5 secret missions, which you can decide to play before deployment, but after you have seen the enemy list.

Secondary objectives

Assassination

Fearing the keen tactical intellect of one of the enemy generals, your Commander has decided to take the dastardly rapscallion out of the equation. You have been selected as the instrument to do so!

If the enemy general is dead or has fled the table at the end of the battle, you have achieved your secondary objective.

Capture the Flag!

One of your enemy’s banners has caught the fancy of your King and he would like to have it to decorate his throne room. The Royal Decorator claims it would set off his eyes nicely.

After selecting your secondary objective, nominate one enemy unit that has a standard bearer, or the enemy Battle Standard. (Make a note on your objective card which unit you select.) If you manage to capture the standard and if the unit capturing the banner survives the rest of the battle, you have achieved your secondary objective.

Head Hunter

A particularly powerful enemy unit has been a thorn in your side during your army’s entire campaign. It is time to take them out once and for all!

If you manage to destroy the enemy unit that is worth the most victory points at the end of the battle, you have achieved your secondary objective. Note that this does not include his characters, only units chosen from the Core, Special or Rare sections.

Prey on the Weak

Sometimes it is just darn satisfying to beat up on the downtrodden and weak...

If you manage to destroy the enemy unit that is worth the least victory points at the end of the battle, you have achieved your secondary objective. Note that this does not include his characters, only units chosen from the Core, Special or Rare sections.

Doomed to Die!

One of your unit champions is a bit too ambitious for his own good, and he and his cronies need to be taken a peg or two. As they say in Tilea: “Accidents happen... People get hurt...”

After selecting your secondary objective, nominate one of your units that has a unit champion. (Make a note on your objective card which unit you select.) If this unit is destroyed at the end of the battle, you have achieved your objective. If none of your units include a unit champion, you have automatically failed to achieve this secondary objective.

Armies present

Warriors of Chaos 5
Empire 4
Lizardmen 3
Ogre Kingdoms 3
Wood Elves 3
Orcs & Goblins 3
Bretonnian 2
Skaven 2
High Elves 1
Dark Elves 1
Vampire Counts 1
Legions of Chaos 1
Dwarfs 1

Tonight I will play some test battles against Lizardmen !
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Instead of Lizardmen DeGroteBaas took his Dark Elves, which always result into a bloodbath. I got massacred the first time, and also lost the second but was much closer to win. We did played normal battleline instead of scenario however. Battle reports will follow soon !

It was very difficult to keep the sorceress and small unit of dark riders alive with opposing Reaper Bolt Thrower. Magic is much more dangerous than in normal cases, and lost me both games (power scroll combined with doombolt). Especially in case opponent gets magic missiles I have to play aggresisve. Shades and Reaper Bolt Thrower really helped me both games, and although witches die very fast, 8 of them did take out unit of 20 Executioners in the second battle. BSB is well defended, so happy I invested in the 1+ re-rollable armour save. Searing Doom is great to have as most armies will field at least one good armoured unit, but as soon these are dead my magic phase is not interesting anymore. We'll have to see !
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

This was the first time I brought my rather fluffy Bloodstorm list (which is still given power level 2!) for some playtesting. Although most scenarios are based around fortitude instead of victory points, we forgot to bring the scenario's with us so just played normal battleline to test out our lists.

Civil War 1

I had one sorceress with metal on steed , two units of 10 Witch Elves, both full command and one with flaming banner which is joined by Lord Drakon as BSB on foot with re-roll 1+ armour save. War Hydra as the tank as I am eager how he is in small games (after watchmaster and direweasel both stating several times that he is awesome at low point games) with Fiery Breath. Shades and Reaper Bolt Thrower give me still an shooting phase that can hurt and allow me to direct enemy deployment phase. Lastly a unit of Dark Riders which were used as bunker for the sorceress, but I really don't like them as bunker and want to use them as chaff instead, so I hope you can advise me how to solve this problem !

DeGrotebaas brought a balanced list (which is by the way also a Executioner themed awesome painted and converted army) with one Sorceress lvl 2 with power scroll with Dark magic (doombolt, smart!) in a unit of 20 spearmen, 10 darkshards with shields, 5 dark riders, 1 chariot, reaper bolt thrower and 15 executioners.

Balanced list, very dangerous in the magic phase which combined with his shooting gives him the option to stay back and let me come to him. He could counter everything I had, but I had also all the tools needed to counter his army. The two blocks of infantry could be depleted with a flame template, while Hydra and Witches in combat would also good matchups for me. Chariot was a good target for my searing doom. I did however greatly feared his Reaper and Darkshards, as the first could easily threated my Dark Riders with Sorceress, and Darkshards can hurt the witches a lot.

For magic I rolled plague of rust, which I swapped for Searing Doom. Enemy got Word of Pain and Doombolt, which was not good for me at all. I also discovered he had power scroll so knew I had to be careful with the dispell scroll.

Deployment
The terrain was smaller than normal battles because of the low point game and had one big hill at the deployment zone, while the other side had one small hill at the right flank. Three forests could provide some cover, but if enemy got the large hill, his reaper bolt thrower could always shoot at my dark riders. As the enemy won the roll of deployment, he got the big hill which was not good for me at all. When looking back, it would have been better to deploy my Reaper Bolt Thrower at the hill, as it could shoot over the forest and could have forces the opponent to deploy more to the right instead of left, which contained more cover for me.

As I was afraid for enemy shooting I deployed my witch elves to the central right, in order to cross through the right side in cover of the trees for darkshards. War Hydra in the centre to march up as soon as possible and Sorceress with Dark Riders opposing his Chariot. Enemy made sure no gaps were left for my Shades to infiltrate, and deployed central with Darkshards in the centre, flanked by Executioners and Spearman. I am happy that I made this big deployment / battleplan mistake when outshot as I will not make this mistake again on the tournament itself. Shades take the central forest to provide some shooting against Dark Riders while in cover.

Turn 1 - DeGroteBaas
I finished first, but the enemy won the roll to start after I rolled a 1. First turn for DeGroteBaas

Dark Riders advance at the right flank behind cover of the forest, while Executioners and Spearman move up. Chariot move up at the left flank to threaten the Reaper Bolt Thrower.

The magic phase starts really bad for me as it is 6 vs 2. In this tournament the magic phase is D6 + 1 for caster with D3 + 1 for dispeller. This makes the magic phase much more dangerous as the catser than totally outpower you. In this case the magical defense of the caster (normally lvl 4) is also very low, as I only have a lvl 1 opposed to enemey lvl 2. Enemy casts word of pain of Shades which I fail to dispell and then doombolt on the Shades, which I scroll. I really did not wanted the Shades to lose their BS, as they were the only unit that could deal with the Dark Riders at this moment. But losing the dispell scroll so early and against normal doombolt instead of boosted is not worth the pay off I guess.

Reaper Bolt Thrower shoots at the Dark Riders, but luckily only kills 1. I do however have no idea how to protect them and the Sorceress. Dark Riders shoot at Shades but all miss but Darkshards kill one Shade. At least no panic test. Funny thing is also that in these really small games (I am used to 2400) every casualty hurts much more than in normal cases, so every model becomes more precious to you.

Turn 1 - Lord Drakon
Afraid to come within shooting range of the Darkshards I march with the Witch Elves through the forests. The War Hydra does not fear them however and march up central. Sorceress with Dark Riders move up to be within 24" of the Chariot, while Shades move to shoot the Dark Riders. They say most battles are decided in the deployment phase and first two turns. I fully agree. In this case this first movement phase spelled doom for me, as I presented one target at a time for the enemy shooting, while delaying the combat units (witch elves) to reach combat as soon as possible. My main target was the Executioner unit, while in fact the Spearman with Supreme Sorceress where much more dangerous to me.

In magic it is 3 vs 3, and enemy dispells my Searing Doom on the Chariot.

Because of deployment and the terrain, my Reaper Bolt Thrower had no optimal targets which were Dark Riders and Chariot and I decide to shoot at the Darkshards, killing two. The Shades aim at Dark Riders an still kill one even with the -2 BS.

Turn 2 - DeGroteBaas
Cold One Chariot fails his stupidity test and stumbles 4" forwards. Dark Riders sneak between the Witch Elves and take the left hill. Spearman and Darkshards move up to shoot / cast at the War Hydra and Witches. Executioner also move up a little.

In the magic phase enemy get 2 vs 4, and he fails to cast word of pain.

Reaper Bolt Thrower kills another two Dark Riders, so only 2 left. They pass their Leadership test luckily. Darkshards shoot at Witch Elves and kill 2.

Turn 2 - Lord Drakon
Sorceress with last two Dark Riders move up to charge the Reaper Bolt Thrower, while still able to cast Searing Doom on Chariot. Witch Elves march as fast as possible, as they already get the feeling they will be too late. Now I made another huge mistake. The War Hydra, which was my 'trump' this game to support the Witch Elves by target saturation and cover goes solo as I see a nice flame template possibility on the Spearman. Not only does this provide a flank charge (12") for the Executioners that let them move out of reach of the Witch Elves, the flame template was not game changing at this moment, while it should have some effect. I move up Shades for counter-charge the Executioners which is also stupid, as Hydra is very likely to die in first turn of combat.

In magic phase I get 4 vs 2, and cast Searing Doom on the Chariot and inflict three wounds, only one to go !

In shooting phase Reaper Bolt Thrower shoots at Dark Riders, killing two. Shades kill three Executioners. War Hydra does hit 16 Spearman, but only kill 9. Nice that the Spearman bunker is now smaller, but as nothing will be able to reach them yet this is really a big waste of the War Hydra and its Fiery Breath. At least, lesson learned (I thought).

Turn 3 - DeGroteBaas
Chariots fails his stupidity test again which is nice. Executioners charge the Hydra and I decide to hold. Now I look back at the battle diagrams, I could have saved myself by fleeing the Hydra. Rally on LD 6 is difficult, but at least the Executioners would have failed their charge or even better redirected into the Shades who then had also fled. This would have given the 'remaining 'Witch Elves the possibility to charge, while Hydra would still have been alive. But, I hold. Spearman unit shuffle back but still 18" from Witch Elves. Enemy forget to move the Dark Riders.

In magic phase enemy get 7 vs 3. Boosted Word of Pain is casted on the War Hydra, but I save my dice for Boosted Doombolt. Then enemy casts boosted Doombolt with Power Scroll on Witch Elves, which I fail to dispell and kills all of them.

Darkshards shoot at Shades, inflict four hits and four wounds, so they are also dead. Reaper Bolt Thrower shoots at Dark Riders killing them and also inflicting one wound on the Sorceress. Those two wounds on the other Witch Elves are a mistake.

In combat the Executioners inflict only four wounds, so the Hydra lives but fails to return any damage. I need snake eyes to hold and rolls snake eyes :roll: Very painful turn as most of the army died.

Turn 3 - Lord Drakon
With only wounded Sorceress, Witch Elves with BSB and Reaper Bolt Thrower left, it looks very desperate for me. Sorceress takes her chance by charging the Reaper Bolt Thrower which is very dangerous, but otherwise certain death if she can be shot at another turn. Witch Elves are still too far and march as far as possible.

Reaper Bolt Thrower crew watched their force being tore apart lose their nerves and fails to kill any Dark Riders.

Wounded War Hydra is killed in combat before he can strike. The Sorceress kills one Reaper Bolt Thrower crew, but is killed in return.

Turn 4 - DeGroteBaas
Chariot finally passes his Stupidity check and charges the Bolt Thrower, but fail his charge (needing 10) Enemy plays it safe and marches his Executioners away from the Witch Elves. Dark Riders move up to charge Reaper Bolt Thrower.

In combat it is 6 vs 2 and casts normal doombolt on the Witch Elves. He kills all of them. Then the Dark attribute inflict another 15 hits, 5 wounds and I only save 3, so the BSB is also dead, killed by strength 1 attirbute, argh !

Turn 4 - Lord Drakon
To at least kill one unit, the Bolt Thrower shoots at Dark Riders, killing it.

Turn 5 - DeGroteBaas
Cold One Chariot charges the Bolt Thrower, makes it and destroys it.

Result:
VP: 1000 - 120
0 - 20 Defeat !

Post battle report:
I got massacred. I made a lot of critical mistakes with deployment and movement, but also regarding actions in the battle itself for example using scroll in turn 1 and playing silly with the Hydra. This let me realize my army is offensive, not defensive. Therefore Witch Elves have to march up for turn 2 charge, except for bad matchups with a lot of armour. I don't really know how protect the Sorceress, although Shades in cover make much better bunker than Dark Riders I guess. As Witch Elves are soft, Hydra can provide cover like tanks did in WWI and WWII. Enemy made good use of my mistakes and slaughtered me. But, as the game only took 45 minutes, we have enough time for a revanche !
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

You can't use a Power Scroll with the boosted version of spells.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Civil War 2

After the massacre after first list with the Bloodstorm list, I knew I had to play it different to survive the opponents list. I got Searing Doom again after initial roll of Transmutation of Lead. Enemy got Chillwind and Doombolt.

Deployment
Enemy gets the nice side of terrain again but at least I knew wat to do. Witch Elves and Hydra deploy central, Reaper Bolt Thrower still not on the hill, but now with good line of sight. Dark Riders hide behind the forest for the sake of it, as enemy Reaper Bolt Thrower can still shoot at them without cover. Enemy deploys more defensive and Spearman is placed in left flank, Shades get opportunity to take the far right forest in enemy flank.

Enemy gets first turn again after two re-rolls.

Turn 1 - DeGroteBaas
Units move up careful, Dark Riders and Darkshards move up to shoot at the Shades.

Reaper Bolt Thrower kill two Dark Riders who pass their panic test and combined shooting of Dark Riders and Darkshards also kill 1 Shade.

Turn 1 - Lord Drakon
I advance as fast as possible with the Witch Elves and uses the War Hydra as how tanks were used in the WWI, as protection for the soft infantry against enemy machine guns (machine bolts in this case). The Sorceress with Dark Riders then hide behind the Witches which doesn't matter because of the hill unfortunately, but still. Shades retreat also towards the centre as I realize that within the forest and Shades, the Sorceress is best protected against shooting. But I just checked the BRB, and mounted characters cannot join Skirmishers so this was illegal.

I have 4 vs 3 for magic and start the game with a nice Searing Doom on the Chariot, inflicting three wounds.

Reaper single shot the Chariot to kill it, but miss. Shades kill two Darkshards.

Turn 2 - DeGroteBaas
Chariot advances while Spearman move up to come within Doombolt range. Dark Riders move up towards flank of the Shades now in open terrain.

Magic is 3 vs 3, and enemy succeeds in casting chillwind on Witch Elves, killing 1, attribute does kill another two however.

Reaper Bolt Thrower kills another two Dark Riders and also inflict one wound on the Sorceress, while Darkshards kill 3 Witch Elves from the other unit.

Turn 2 - Lord Drakon
The Witches and War Hydra move up as far as possible to provide turn 3 charges. Shades find shelter in the forest and Sorceress joins them for protection (again this was illegal). Last Dark rider also position him to charge Reaper Bolt Thrower.

In the magic phase I got 3 vs 3, and enemy dispells Searing Doom on the Dark Riders.

RBT singleshot the Chariot again and kills it. Shades shoot at Dark Riders and also kill three. Nice shooting phase !

Turn 3 - DeGroteBaas
Dark Riders charge the Shades in order to kill the Sorceress but are killed by the Shades in stand & shoot reaction. The rest of the army shuffles back a little while Darkshards hold for hitting at fours.

Magic is 7 vs 4 and enemy casts boosted doombolt on Witch Elves, which goes off with irresistable force, killing all Witches and inflicting four wounds on the BSB. With 3+ armour save and re-roll I save them all.

Now the BSB was unprotected it attracted all enemy shooting, which was good for me as it left the Witches alive and he was very good armoured. Singleshot of the Reaper Bolt Thrower was could kill him, but it missed ! Then 20 shots from the Darkshards, 10 hits, 8 wounds, ouch. I saved only three at the first try, but re-roll saved all the others, Nice !

Turn 3 - Lord Drakon
Now it was my turn to shine. All units except Shades charge. Only the BSB doesn't make it into the Darkshards, but attract the stand & shoot saving all hits again. War Hydra makes the Darkshards who pass their Terror test, Witch Elves makes the Executioners and Dark Rider Standard Bearer makes it into the RBT.

Combined fire of Reaper Bolt Thrower and Shades all miss the Spearman.

In combat the Witch Elves inflict 9 wounds, while Executioners inflict 3 wounds in return, but they are still steadfast and hold. The Darkshards pass their fear test but fail to inflict any wounds. Hydra eats 3 in return and thunderstomps another 6, breaking them but restraining. Dark Rider kills a crew member, but is killed in return :cry:

Turn 4 - DeGroteBaas
The Darkshards flee off the table.

For the magic phase enemy got another 7 vs 3. I fail to dispell Chillwind on the Hydra, who inflict two wounds. Then small Doombolt on the Hydra also inflict two wounds.

Reaper Bolt Thrower shoots at Shades, killing the Sorceress.

In combat the Witch Elves inflict another 7 wounds, so only 4 executioners are left, but they kill the witch elves in return.

Turn 4 - Lord Drakon
War Hydra charges the Reaper Bolt Thrower and makes it, BSB marches with him for possible combined Spearman next turn. Shades move up to finish the Executioners.

Shades and Reaper Bolt Thrower combined kill three Executioners, leaving only 1 alive.

Then the already very fighty Reaper Bolt Thrower crewmember of the enemy makes himself a legend. He strikes first, hits and WOUNDS after he re-rolls because of murderous prowess! As I have only 1 wound left, he will kill the War Hydra if I fail my armour save..... but I save it, pfew. But these situations is what makes Warhammer fun. This lone crew member (his mate got slain every first round of combat) killed one general (sorceress), dark rider and nearly War Hydra in COMBAT haha. Ofcourse War Hydra then eats him and reform to maybe charge enemy next turn. He also grows back 1 head.

Turn 5 - DeGroteBaas
With only the Spearman, Sorceress and last Executioners left enemy tries to escape.

Magic is finally low and enemy fails to cast Doombolt on the Hydra.

Turn 5 - Lord Drakon
As the War Hydra was only left with two wounds, and the BSB only had hand weapon I was doubting what to do. I still had the flame template and RBT left to inflict a lot of damage with shooting before charging in to finish the job. Therefore I made another crucial mistake by not charging the unit to finish him off. Combat was also not without risk, but the enemy had two magic missiles and a power scroll, so staying out of combat with actually much and much more dangerous than inside with some spearman. I really can slap myself to the head by making this mistake, as I had him at this point.. I also make another mistake with the Hydra by moving him to close to the Spearman so he only hit 13..

Flame template hits only 13 because War Hydra is too close, and only kill 6. Reaper Bolt Thrower kills another three. Shades finish off the last Executioner.

Turn 6 - DeGroteBaas
Spearman reform to cast magic missiles at the units.

He gets another 7 vs 2 for magic. Chillwind kills the Hydra, boosted Doombolt with power scroll kills the BSB. Very bad play from me to not secure the win and let it transform into another defeat..

Turn 6 - Lord Drakon
Reaper Bolt Thrower tries to save the battle by killing enough Spearman, he kills 3, enough to force panic test but enemy just passes his test on LD 9.

Result:
VP: 830 - 630
12 - 8 Defeat !

Post battle report:
Although I had a great deployment phase and played the battle well, I still lost it because of the final mistake. I do think the opponents list was a bad matchup for me, but I should be prepared for a lot more lists that can really hurt my softer units from range. I liked the tactic of crossing the battlefield in WWI style with using Hydra as cover for the Witch Elves and Shades + Reaper are very important to take out enemy shooting as fast as possible. I also think I need the Dark Riders to help in that mission, but I don't know what to do with the Sorceress.

Please advise me what you see as strengths and weaknesses of the list, how to solve current mistakes I make and what the best way is to use this list against certain enemies. It is my first 'real' tournament and as I only started playing in 2015 I am still rather unexperienced so all advise is most welcome !
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

Reaper single shot the Chariot [with one wound left] to kill it, but miss.

You should have used the multiple shot in this situation! According to my crappy math skills (I still try!)...

the single shot has a:

2/3 chance to hit, 2/3 chance to wound, no AS = ~44.4% chance to do at least one wound.

(2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9 = .4444)

the multiple shot has a:

2/3 chance to hit, 1/3 chance to wound, 2/3 chance to miss his AS, 6 shots = ~61.9% chance to do at least one wound.

(2/3 * 1/3 * 2/3 = .1485 = .8515 chance to not wound, so 1 - (.8515^6) = .6188)

-Sun Tzu
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Lord hajjij wrote:
Reaper single shot the Chariot [with one wound left] to kill it, but miss.

You should have used the multiple shot in this situation! According to my crappy math skills (I still try!)...

the single shot has a:

2/3 chance to hit, 2/3 chance to wound, no AS = ~44.4% chance to do at least one wound.

(2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9 = .4444)

the multiple shot has a:

2/3 chance to hit, 1/3 chance to wound, 2/3 chance to miss his AS, 6 shots = ~61.9% chance to do at least one wound.

(2/3 * 1/3 * 2/3 = .1485 = .8515 chance to not wound, so 1 - (.8515^6) = .6188)

Thank you, you are right. Based on those two battle reports, can you say something about which armies you think it will do well, and against which ones I have to be extra sharp ? Do you have an idea regarding the Sorceress ? Calisson already mentioned lack of high strength and I need as much as critical advise as possible to make a chance between 40 highly experienced players this sunday. I will have another game against the same player tonight.
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

Hi Lord Drakon, is the army list your final list and can't be changed? I think overall, your army is giving up too many "gimmies" for objectives. Let me know. I'll expand on these thoughts too.

-Sun Tzu
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Lord hajjij wrote:Hi Lord Drakon, is the army list your final list and can't be changed? I think overall, your army is giving up too many "gimmies" for objectives. Let me know. I'll expand on these thoughts too.

Yes unfortunately it can't be changed anymore. Thanks I am looking forward to it !
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

Ok, noting that your army list can't be changed. This is an insanely tough rules pack for 1000 points. They should have really considered 1500 or 2000 when you're talking about these type of objectives.

My main piece of advise: try to separate this from a normal game of Warhammer. This is objective Warhammer. Also - to a lesser extent - realize that giving up a Secondary Objective doesn't really seem to affect YOUR score (at least from what I read...) and so you can afford to allow it to happen in order to secure your Primary.

One of your biggest strengths is your 2 very mobile fortitude units. Don't throw these away for nothing! I think that's your biggest challenge here, is to be able to use those units in a traditional and useful role, but also keep them alive to help you secure fortitude. I think that you should use them more carefully than you did in the reports you just posted, and keep them safe until the later turns to help secure your Primary Objective. In this army, I think the 10 man Witch unit not with the BSB, and RBT, become your throw away units.

In that same vein, I'd play your RBT up as far as possible to try and bait attention to it. You want people going after that while you move to secure your real objective.

Anyway, thoughts on the Scenarios:

Strategic Superiority - Contesting a zone is just as good as winning one in regards to the final score. be aware that you can sneak in a dark riders or shades unit to contest one at the end of the game. (and be aware your opponent can as well)

Into the Breach! - I think this is a good one for you again due to your mobile fortitude.

Break the Enemy! - This might be tough. I wouldn't consider you a beast in combat. Shades and Dark Riders become expendable here.

Take the hill! - Another tough one for you. I'd go for 2nd turn here. I'd try and get your Hydra and expendable Witches into him ASAP and keep your DR/Shades back, and just step into the 12" circle at the bottom of turn 6.

Domination! - Maybe play the Head Hunter card at the same time, and just go all out for one unit and hope you get a bit lucky.

-Sun Tzu
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks, this helps a lot ! Tomorrow I will play some more practice games with the scenario's against Skaven and High Elves. Yesterday played against the Lizardmen of DeGroteBaas which was much less dangerous in the magic phase than the Dark Elves.

This time I outshot the enemy because of the reaper which killed his mounted Scar Vet. Especially in these small point games I believe Reaper Bolt Throwers are one of the best artillery because of their diversity regarding multi-shot and singe-slot combined with range. Great idea to deploy it as far forward as possible.

Note that for Strategic Superiority, Into the Breach and Take the Hill the sorceress has to be in a unit of 5 to count as 1 fortitude. As you suggest I will keep them as safe as possible, hiding behind other units for hard cover and such.

I think key is to focus on taking out enemy shooting in first turns, besides Reaper especially Hydra can do this job well because of his speed and manouevre combined with flame template for skirmishers and difficult to kill in one round of convential shooting. Therefore normal cases deployed at flank to sneak behind enemy lines.

The first enemy of the tournament will be against Empire.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

The Bloodstorm Mini tournament was amazing. Although I only slept two hours that night I managed to stay relatively sharp all five battles spread over 11 hours of relaxed warhammer based on winning the objectives. Things were going very well in the first three battles, scoring 9 out of 9 primary objective points and 4 out 6 secondary objective points. With a total of 13 our of 15 I was placed at the second table out of 42 players ! As the fourth battle was very close to another win, but resulted in a draw, and in the last battle I had to survive 50 archers but still managed so get away with a draw I am very satisfied with my play and the list.

In the end I got ranked 12 out of 42 based on objective points and 20 out of 42 after with painting and comp score. In total 8 votes for most sporting opponent and even some votes for coolest army. I had never expected to do so well on my first real tournament and look forward to the second one :D

The list I took did not felt too powerful and I could easily lost all battles If I had played careless with it. I did however always had something to counter my opponent with, and as Lord Hajjij already mentioned, my mobile fortitude gave me a big strategic advantage. I am also so glad that I followed advise from direweasel to take the War hydra for this low point level. Wow that thing was a beast ! It felt like having a Steamtank and was a game changer in every battle. Metal was also a great choice ! There were a lot of armoured armies from Empire, WoC and Bretonnia, I only faced one, but he got massacred by Searing Doom.

Sorceress, Dark Steed, LVL 1, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Metal 115
Master, BSB, Sea Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone 135

5 Dark Riders, Shields, Repeater Crossbows, Standard Bearer 110
10 Witch Elves, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame 150
10 Witch Elves, Full Command 140

5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapons, Standard Bearer 100
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
1 War Hydra, Fiery Breath 180

The only thing I was not happy about was my lack of foresight concerning secondary objectives, as I only scored 4 out of 10, while that should have been 10 out of 10 based on the battle I played. But another good lesson. Battle reports will follow soon, I played against :

Empire 3 - 2 victory
Large block halbediers with captain and warrior priest, backed by two units of handgunners, 3 demigryps and great cannon (very difficult matchup)

Deamons of Chaos 5 - 0 victory
Two units of bloodletters, one big unit blootletters with exalted, 6 flesh hounds and 3 skullcrushers (good matchup for me)

Bretonnia 5 - 0 victory
Two lances of knights, one big lance with paladin and damsel, trebuchet, entreched archers and two units of mounted yeomen (normally difficult match up, lvl 1 changed into easy match up)

Skaven 1 - 3 draw
3 chieftains with combat gear, unit of 20 slaves, 2 units of 30 clanrat, 1 unit of 15 stormervin, all with weapon teams, 3 rat swarms (most exciting game I ever played)

Tomb Kings 1 - 3 draw
Liche priest with 20 archers, 30 archers, 30 warriors, 2 x 5 horse archers and knights (very difficult matchup)

ps. can any of the more experienced battle reporters explain me how I can create links towards the battles in this page (and first page etc.)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

The latest version of the Witchstar + Coven of Light list. First time I will field Assassin again in long time. Might not be most competitive but they are just so cool. In more competitive setting, the Assassin and Sisters of Slaugher command is swapped for Kharibdyss.

Dreadlord, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Ogre Blade, Ring of Hotek - 249
Supreme Sorceress, LVL 4, Light Magic, Talisman of Preservation, Dispell Scroll, Dark Steed - 310

Sorceress, LVL 1, Light Magic, Dark Steed - 90
BSB Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood - 300
Assassin, Dark Venom, Glittering Scales - 135

7 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields - 129
5 Dark Riders, Shields, Repeater Crossbows - 100
27 Witch Elves, Full Command, Razor Standard - 372

5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapons - 90
Reaper Bolt Thrower - 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower - 70

10 Sisters of Slaughter, Handmaiden, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame - 180
5 Warlocks - 125

OR

Dreadlord, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Ogre Blade, Ring of Hotek - 249
Supreme Sorceress, LVL 4, Light Magic, Talisman of Preservation, Dispell Scroll, Dark Steed - 310

BSB Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood - 300

7 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields - 129
5 Dark Riders, Shields, Repeater Crossbows - 100
27 Witch Elves, Full Command, Razor Standard - 372

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower - 70

10 Sisters of Slaughter - 150
5 Warlocks - 125
Kharibdyss - 160

Which one do you like most ?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Battle 1 : Empire

In the first battle I was up against a comp 2 Empire list. He brought captain and warrior priets of sigmar, large block of 27 halbediers, two units of 10 handgunners both with sniper, 3 demigryph knights and one great cannon.

My force included the following
Sorceress, Dark Steed, LVL 1, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Metal 115
Master, BSB, Sea Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone 135

5 Dark Riders, Shields, Repeater Crossbows, Standard Bearer 110
10 Witch Elves, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame 150
10 Witch Elves, Full Command 140

5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapons, Standard Bearer 100
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
1 War Hydra, Fiery Breath 180

So for my first match I was directly faced against a very bad matchup ! The Cannon can easily dispatch my War Hydra in one or two turns, kill the Reaper in one turn and snipe the Sorceress. Although combined my Witches can kill some halbediers, a block of 27 buffed by magic from the Warrior Priest is too much for them without support of the Hydra. Besides the Reaper I have nothing really to hurt the Demigryph knights besides possible Searing Doom, but that again leaves magic useless against the other units. To make it worse, he has two units of 10 handgunners with sniper in them so kill the witches before they can reach them. I really believe his list should have been comped more heavily than my list. Although I had only slept two hours that night I was excited, fresh and sharp.

Our scenario was
Into the Breach!
Your army commander has been on a big push into enemy territory and you have been tasked to break through the enemy lines.
To achieve this primary objective, you must have 2 or more fortitude points in the enemy deployment zone at the end of the battle.

This scenario gave me a strategic advantage, as I could redeploy 2 fortitude points (sorceress inside dark riders) in two turns within the enemy deployment zone. Also one unit of witches or shades could provide the 2 fortitude. The enemy had his fortitude inside his halbediers block, handgunners and demigryphs. As demigryphs alone had not enough fortitude, If I could stop or slow down the infantry I could win.

As secondary objective I expected the witch elfs to die this battle, so chose
Doomed to Die!
One of your unit champions is a bit too ambitious for his own good, and he and his cronies need to be taken a peg or two. As they say in Tilea: “Accidents happen... People get hurt...” After selecting your secondary objective, nominate one of your units that has a unit champion. (Make a note on your objective card which unit you select.) If this unit is destroyed at the end of the battle, you have achieved your objective. If none of your units include a unit champion, you have automatically failed to achieve this secondary objective.

For magic I rolled Final Transmutation, perfect ! My odss changes a little because with that spell I could both hurt the Halbediers as the Demigryph knights, while Empire has also average leadership for the stupidity tests. Warrior Priest has its bound spells of hatred, ward save and extra attack or killing blow.

Deployment
The terrain provided had two forests at both sides, but it provided an extreme strategical advantage in the form of a Inn in the south deployment zone. This building could solve the issue of the cannon killing my force one by one. We both rolled.. and I got a 6 ! YES :D Although I believe he had the stronger list, the objective, magic possibility and terrain gave me all I needed to secure a victory. I deployed the Hydra, Dark Riders (who needed be at least 5 strong to let sorceress count as fortitude) and Sorceress behind the building. They would wait there until I opportunities arose. Bolt Thrower is deployed in the centre to shoot at Cannon flanked by Witch Elfs, the left one the unit with doomed champion. Enemy deploys halbediers and demigyphs in the centre, flanked by handgunners. He does leave enough space for my Shades to infiltrate and hunt the Cannon. I am first finished with deploying so +1 on the roll to start (although that was the plan)

Turn 1 - Empire
The enemy rolls 4, I roll 3, so I get the dice for re-roll when enemy claims he starts. Although I explain that we have to re-roll because of my +1 he really doens't agree and reacts irritated. As I didn't wanted to piss off my much older and experienced opponent in my first tournament game I let it be instead of calling for a judge so early in the morning.

His centre moves up a little, while the left Handgunners swift reform towards the Shades in their flank.

In the magic phase he buffs his Halbediers while I dispell a ward save on them.

His Cannon kills the Reaper Bolt Thrower, while Handgunners miss their attacks. The sniper with hochland sniper does kill one Shade, but no panic tests have to be made.

Turn 1 - Dark Elves
I realise I have been to optimistic with the Shades and should have deployed them in the forest. As they will not make it with one march, I declare a charge on the Handgunners, needing a 7. With the stand & shoot he kills another two Shades, and I fail to make the charge. With the Reaper Bolt Thrower and Shades disabled the left Witch Elves advance as fast as possible to take the left flank out. The other Witch Elves with the BSB garrison the Inn for cover.

Turn 2 - Empire
The central units continue their slow advance, this time joined by the right Handgunners.

His Handgunners easily kills the Shades with only -1 to hit and the Cannon shoots at Witch Elves in the building, killing two.

Turn 2 - Dark Elves
The Witch Elves march into the forest for cover with a perfect location to charge the handgunners next turn.

As the Halbediers are now within boosted range of Final Transmutation, I 6-dice it with the Sorceress. It goes off with IR and unfornately I lose D3 levels, making her useless besides the fortitude for the rest of the game. It does kill 11 Halbediers, now only at 2/3 strength.

Turn 3 - Empire
In reality the Handgunners where already on the position they move to in the diagram. They tried to swift reform but failed the leadership test and only reform without the option to shoot. They were just between the Witch Elves and the Cannon, perfect for a overrun. The Demigryph knights start to move more aggressive, while the infantry blocks advance.

The cannon shoot again at the Witch Elves in the building, killing 2. The handgunners are succeed to kill one.

Turn 3 - Dark Elves
Witch Elves charge the Handgunners who kill two with the stand & shoot. The rest of my force is still waiting to move out as soon as cannon is locked in combat or dead. As I didn't want to mess up I stayed another turn behind the building. As the other Witches with BSB could never threaten one of his units besides Handgunners, they still positioned to threat that slowed the enemy advance.

With no magic and shooting, we moved to the combat phase fast.

In combat the Witches kill 7 Handgunners, while the 3 remaining kill one Witch Elf. They break and flee and are captured by the Witch Elves in pursuit only 2" from the cannon.

Turn 4 - Empire
Realizing he really has to push for get his Halbediers into my deployment zone he want to swift reform them but fails his Leadership test twice. Handgunners move up further while he doesn't really know what to do with the Demigryph knights and advance towards the Inn.

The Cannon takes a grapeshot at the Witches, killing three.

Turn 4 - Dark Elves
Now I was sure I could lock and kill the Cannon in combat it was time to take the initiative. Witch Elves charge the Cannon, while the Dark Riders start their march towards enemy deployment zone. As enemy has nothing left to kill off the Witch Elf also with standards I can complete the objective even without Sorceress. Hydra Jimmy had become very hungry at this stage and wants to eat some humans to move up to threaten Halbediers and Handgunners.

The Witch Elves easily dispatch the Cannon, while the doomed Hag is still alive. Bad choice of secondary objective this battle, losing me two objective points.

Turn 5 - Empire
The Halbediers march as fast as they can towards my deployment zone but it is already clear they are never going to make it. Demygryphs advance to threaten Jimmy the Hydra. The Handguners stay still to shoot at Jimmy.

The Handgunners all shoot at Jimmy and inflict 3 wounds !

Turn 5 - Dark Elves
Jimmy who is not amused charges the Handgunners and as they where within 6" they can't stand & shoot. Dark Riders march into the enemy breach securing me the win at this stage. As there are also secondary objective to kill enemy general I keep my Sorceress safe.

In combat Jimmy eats 3 Handgunners and thunderstomps another 5. They flee but are caught by Jimmy.

Turn 6 - Empire
In a desperate last move the Halbediers push as hard as possible, but they don't reach my deployment zone. The Demigryph knights swift reform and try is also but fail.

Turn 6 - Dark Elves
Jimmy is still hungry and wants to roast some Human. He advances towards the Halbediers for a nice flame template and kill 12 of them. At the of the battle I have two fortitude in enemy deployment zone, but enemy killed the Reaper (worth least points) so achieved his secdary objective.

Result:
3 – 0 Primary Objectives
0 - 2 Secondary Objectives
3 - 2 victory for the Dark Elves !

MVP unit : MILF Witch Elves - Doomed to Die by their general, they showed their guts and took out a unit of Handgunners and Great Cannon while breaching into enemy deployment zone first.

Post battle report:
Although his list was a difficult match up for me, a combination of terrain and possibility to fast move up my fortitude points secured me the win. I did deployed the Shades too optimistic, as they might have won the shooting war with Handgunners while in the forest which could have given me the possibility to sacrifice the doomed Witch Elves against the Halbediers or something. Nevertheless I was happy with the 3 - 0 victory based on primary objectives and my play as his list could have easily annihilated mine.
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Battle 2 : Deamons of Chaos

In the second battle I faced the Deamons of Khorne of one of the Dutch ETC-players, so one of the best we have ! He brought a fluffy list of Herald of Khorne leading 15 Bloodletters, two units of 10 Bloodletters, 3 Bloodcrushers and 6 Flesh Hounds. It was my first time against Deamons of Chaos so was more cautious then needed.

But even without having played against Deamons of Chaos I realized he had no shooting, no magic and no armour, perfect ! His models looked impressive so I suspected it to kick ass in combat, but so do the Witch Elves. I did underestimated his Flesh Hounds because of my experience with Dire Wolves.

Our Primary Objective was Strategic Superiority
To conquer enemy lands means to take and hold as much of it as possible. Your task in this battle is to control as much terrain as possible with your army. At the end of the battle, divide the table into four quarters. If you have more fortitude points in a table quarter than your opponent, you have claimed that table quarter. If you have claimed more table quarters at the end of the game, you have achieved your primary objective.

As my army was very mobile I could contest three quarters to secure victory. To succeed in this primary objective I had to play safe with the Sorceress and Dark Riders and take out enemy units with banners.

I chose the Secondary Objective Prey on the Weak
Sometimes it is just darn satisfying to beat up on the downtrodden and weak... If you manage to destroy the enemy unit that is worth the least victory points at the end of the battle, you have achieved your secondary objective. Note that this does not include his characters, only units chosen from the Core, Special or Rare sections.

The Flesh Hounds were the least victory points and as I suspected them as average with tougness three and one wound this would be an easy task.

For magic I rolled Transmutation of Lead and swapped it to Searing Doom. It could only hurt the Skullcrushers but Metal was ofcourse not taken for these sort of match ups.

Deployment
The battlefield had only one forest in the centre and we both deployed our infantry in the centre, flanked by the faster units. He deployed his Flesh Hounds opposing the Reaper Bolt Thrower, so I could centre all my shooting towards them. I think the enemy made a mistake by not deploying the Flesh Hounds and Skullcrushers together at one flank as he could have secured two quarters in that way. I deploy the Shades in the forest.

Turn 1 - Dark Elves
I roll a 6 and start the battle.

The Dark Elves forces move forwards, Dark Riders move within shooting range of the Flesh Hounds while Sorceress moves within Searing Doom range of the Skullcrushers.

I cast Searing Doom but fail to inflict any wounds.

The first salvo of the Shades hit three times, but then I discover how tough those Flesh Hounds are and fail to inflict any wounds, also not with the Dark Riders. One of the bolts of the Reaper Bolt Thrower fierce through the thick flesh, but fail to kill it because of more than one wound.

Turn 1 - Deaomon of Chaos
As typical combat host the enemy Deamons march up as fast as possible. Especially the Flesh Hounds aim to get into the Reaper Bolt Throwers as fast as possible.

Without any magic or shooting the opponents turns are fast, so this forces me to also play the same speedt to prevent a boring game (for him).

Turn 2 - Dark Elves
As those Flesh Hounds needs to die asap I send in Jimmy. The Shades who are now within charge range also get as close to the Hounds as possible to make an enemy charge unlikely (needing 10). Lord Drakon and his Bitches (the new Witch Elves) move into the forest while the MILFS protect their flanks against incoming Skullcrushers. Sorceress Luna retreats towards my own deployment zone.

Jimmy inhales deeply and takes a fiery breath, inflicting two wounds therefore killing one. The Shades kill another one while Dark Riders have to practise more next time. Reaper Bolt Thrower crew shows why they rock by killing two more. Down to 2 !

Turn 2 - Deaomon of Chaos
The last Flesh Hounds charge the Reaper Bolt Thrower and makes it. He also tries to charge the Shades but fails the charge. Other units advance a little to not be within charge range of the central Witch Elves. Skullcrushers advance deep to threaten Witches if I would decide to push forward with the MILFs.

In combat the Flesh Hounds make short work of the Reaper Bolt Thrower crew.

Turn 3 - Dark Elves
To prevent any rear charges the MILF witches face the Skullcrushers while Lord Drakon with the Bitches move up. Jimmy provides a possible flank charge when the Bloodletters charge the Bitches. The Shades run as fast as possible outside enemy charge arcs. Dark Riders are joined by Sorceress Luna to finish off the Flesh Hounds.

Dark Riders now want to impress Sorceress Luna and inflict 7 hits and 4 wounds. Enemy rolls badly for his saves and gone are the Flesh Hounds ! 2 Secondary Objective points secured.

Turn 3 - Deaomon of Chaos
Enemy decide to only charge the Witches in the flank as the Witches in the front would only cost him combat resolution. He does move within 1" of them with the other unit (why is this?). Skullcrushers push into my deployment zone to contest one quarter while his Herald remains in his quarter. Lord Drakon moves towards some combat.

Lord Drakon kills two Bloodletters. Only a limited attacks could be directed towards the Witch Elves and the enemy fluffs all of them. Most hits against Lord Drakon hit but because of his +1 save with re-roll nothing penetrates the armour. I win combat by 1 and the enemy starts to sweat. :twisted: The Witches reform into maximum base contact.

Turn 4 - Dark Elves
Jimmy charges the second unit of Bloodletters in the flank while the Dark Riders move outside charge arc of the Skullcrushers. As they are two fortitude points together with Sorceress Luna they still claim that table quarter. The old Witches move into another quarter securing me three quarters at this stage.

In combat Hydra kicks ass with his full attacks and thunderstomp, while Lord Drakon supported by 18 attacks from the Witch Elves also kill most of the enemy Bloodletters. Both units vanish and although they looked big and dangerous, they were some of the most weakest units I ever encountered.

Turn 4 - Deaomon of Chaos
The only chance for the opponent now was to get a draw by killing the Dark Riders with Sorceress Luna, so he reforms.

Turn 5 - Dark Elves
I continue with my dance of the Dark Riders while Jimmy, the Shades and Witch Elves move up to take out the enemy.

Sorceress Luna give it a shot with Searing Doom, and suddenly inflict two wounds.

The Shades kill two Bloodletters to show off for the young Witch Elves while the Dark Riders keep impressing Luna by inflicting another wound and killing the first Skullcrusher.

Turn 5 - Deaomon of Chaos
As he had no options left really he followed the Dark Riders with the Skullcrushers. Bloodletters march backwards to make charges of both Jimmy and Lord Drakon unlikely.

Turn 6 - Dark Elves
As I secured the 5 - 0 I did not take any chances and claimed three quarters.

Combined damage of Luna and Dark Riders kill another Skullcrusher.

Turn 6 - Deaomon of Chaos
A last push towards the forest makes no difference to the result. Victory for the Dark Elves !

Result:
3 – 0 Primary Objectives
2 - 0 Secondary Objectives
5 - 0 victory for the Dark Elves !

MVP unit : The biatch Witches with Lord Drakon hold a central position after being charged in the flank which secured me the 5 - 0 victory.

Post battle report:
As enemy had nothing to inflict damage from a distance this was a pefect match up for me. The list felt very strong because I was strong where the enemy was weak and I prevented combat at the places I was weak. I could easily outmanouevre the enemy and had total strategic superiority. Although it was a bad match up for the enemy, when I discovered he was one of our ETC-players the victory felt extra good. I chatted with him in our lunch for a long time, very nice guy with some interesting stories about former ETC and GT games ! Hope to arrange another match against his Nurgle army once.
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Battle 3 : Bretonnia

MVP unit : Sorceress Luna
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Battle 4 : Skaven

MVP unit : Jimmy the Hydra
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Battle 5 : Undead Legions

MVP unit : Jimmy the Hydra
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Both look like fun.

Looking forward to the update :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

T.D. wrote:Both look like fun.

Looking forward to the update :)

Thanks, first game is up :)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hi all, the second game against Deamons of Chaos of Dutch ETC-player Sander H is up.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Greetings!

I just came home from some weeks holiday so had some time to decide what to do regarding Warhammer as I became extremely demotivated after my first game Age of Sigmar. As I still have some Warhammer Fantasy Battle tournaments this year I will keep my focus on the game I love so much and try to motivate others in local community to also keep playing it. Only when it is truly dead I will shift to other mechanics. My 8th edition goals are to become an expert player with the witchelf/lightcouncil list I am currently fielding and the same counts for the uncapitalized shroud of despair list/tactics. I hope you will keep tuned for some Warhammer Fantasy warfare!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Good to hear from you and good luck!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Awesome! My time is unfortunatelly scarce these days so I cannot promise comments (let alone deep ones) but I will definitely read anything you are going to post. :)

Regarding your demons battle:

Lord Drakon wrote:He does move within 1" of them with the other unit (why is this?).

I think his aim was to limit your reform. Without the interfering unit, you could have brought even more witches in the combat, winning with an even bigger margin. The question is of course if it was worth the flank charge - but maybe he thought he would have been able to reform with the interfering unit and chop the hydra down. The monster is not considered too strong in this edition, its leadership is quite low and bloodletters are S5 I think which is not bad against it. Not sure this is really the explanation but I have nothing better to offer. :)