Fighting with multiple weapons?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sidorio
Assassin

Fighting with multiple weapons?

Post by Sidorio »

You may call me ignorant to the obvious if you want, but on entries like the excecutioners, you'll notice they are equipped with both a hand weapon and a great weapon.
now to that my question is; can you choose which one of those you will fight with at the start of a comabt?
if anyone knows anything about this, post it cause i'm in the dark on it.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Moved to Rules questions.

Any objections - please pm me.

And yes, you can choose your weapon at the beginning of a combat, but then you'll have to stick to your choice. It's in the rulebook.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

sorry about that, and thanks, i must have missed it in the rule book.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Note, however, that a character with a magic weapon cannot choose but has to use the magic weapon.

Bye
Thanee
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Note, however, that a character with a magic weapon cannot choose but has to use the magic weapon.

Unless otherwise stated in the rules of course, ie. Bretonians Characters can use a mundane lance on the charge and then switch to thier magical weapons in following rounds. That's the only exception I can think of, so don't look too shocked if a Bret character does that to you.
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

IE Bretonnians are smarter than all the other heroes in warhammer, because they know that situationally +2S may be better than whatever else you're using.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

(Yes, this is a continuation of my feelings expressed many other places, including in the "what weapon to use when mount dies" thread.)
Tovakoo
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Tovakoo »

only brets?
I thought all cavalry swapped their lance for hand weapon after the initial round of combat.. or do you mean characters?
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

No.

Cavalry never swaps their lance for their hand weapons - per the rules -
Though its obvious that they do when going with logic.

All bretonnians are allowed to use their Lance even if they have a Magic Weapon available, on the charge, and then swap to their Magic Weapon.
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

Yer thats good if yr brets, but as for me with my CoK i aim to break on the first turn of charging so it doesnt matter to me.
Somwhere out there is Inquisitor Horatio Caine investigating cults of slaanesh
Caine looks around seeing bits of cultists on the ground
Inq Caine: Well it looks like these cultists
*puts on glasses*
Inq Caine: Have gone to pieces
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Yer thats good if yr brets, but as for me with my CoK i aim to break on the first turn of charging so it doesnt matter to me.

You'll notice alot of bretonian Generals, when they do take a magic weapon, it either will be a lance itself, or they'll forgo the lance in favour of the magical weapon.

As SulverHeimdall said, no cavalry actually "swaps" its lance after the charge, the rules for the lance only take on the turn they charge. We all picture them dropping the lance to the ground and drawing swords anyway. I was actually expecting them to lower cavalry costs over the course of 7th Edition and make them only effective on the first time they charge (ie, lance is broken after that and you don't really carry around spares).

IE Bretonnians are smarter than all the other heroes in warhammer, because they know that situationally +2S may be better than whatever else you're using.

Might suck if the abilities bestowed by carrying a magical weapon aren't put into effect because you had to use a lance. But your right, the fact that they negated the ability for other characters in other books to be able to make the choice is a little bit baffling. Probably used to simplify disputes, i'm sure arguments pop up over which character is using what weapons. If you only expect it from Bretonnian's...well, there's only one set of players to watch doing it.