General newbish questions...

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Elric of grans
Dark Rider

General newbish questions...

Post by Elric of grans »

I will start with what is probably the silliest. What kind of weapon is the Heartseeker? It does not provide it in either the flavour text nor the rules. Does this imply it must be a hand weapon, or can you make it whatever you want, or is it a known quantity to experienced players and they neglected to include the description for us newbies?

Secondly, Reaper Bolt Throwers can be taken in pairs. Seems a great deal, but how does this work in deployment? Must they be deployed near each other? If so, how near?

Thirdly, War Machines in general. Do they get 360 degree line-of-sight? Unlike with skirmishers it does not explicitly state they do, but it says you can turn the weapon however you like. Does this then infer you can turn the weapon 360 degrees, see a target and then fire, or must you see a target, declare your attack and then correctly align the weapon on them?
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

1: Heart seeker is a magical handweapon, yes.

2: no you can put them as far apart as you want, but being warmachines you have to deploy them at the same time

3: yes, you have 360 degrees line of sight and can 'turn' and then fire.
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

For modeling purposes just don't make Heartrender anything with special rules (spear, lance, 2-handed weapon, flail, halberd, or morning star). Clubs, swords, axes, daggers, one-handed scythes, forks, spoons, etc. etc. are all valid options.

Heh, spoon of justice...
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Well the fantasy version of WYSIWYG usually states that a magic weapon can be anything as long as it's a weapon right?
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

izirath wrote:Well the fantasy version of WYSIWYG usually states that a magic weapon can be anything as long as it's a weapon right?

Pretty much, terms like 'great weapon' and 'hand weapon' (as examples) are reasonably vague as to what they are exactly.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Thanks for the clarification there. I am glad to see I was reading things right there, but I was not entirely convinced I was.

I doubt a Dreadlord would go into battle with a spoon though. I see a wet noodle as a far more realistic option. This way he can swing it like a whip and humiliate his opponent!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

1) Heartseeker is a magical weapon that uses one hand, it doesn't follow hand weapon rules though (or it would make you able to combine it with additional hand weapon for +1 attack for example)

2) They need to be deployed at the same time but there's nothing forcing you to deploy them close to one another

3) war machines have 360 degree line of sight, and can turn in shooting phase to align with their target.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

izirath wrote:Well the fantasy version of WYSIWYG usually states that a magic weapon can be anything as long as it's a weapon right?
Not to my understanding. If you're using (as WE) the Dawn Spear (counts as a spear), then your opponent gets to know that they are armed with a spear, so you should model it that way. They don't get to know that it's magical. Similarly you can't have a naked model allegedly wearing magic heavy armor. And a model with the magic SDC should still be wearing a SDC.

Such is my understanding of it.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.