Choosing spells for a Grey Seer

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Choosing spells for a Grey Seer

Post by Ant »

Thought I'd ask this here after my experience at a tourney this weekend. Out of the 3 opponents I played all thought this should be done differently, so I am hoping that there is a consensus.

My grey seer is allowed to choose spells from both plague and ruin lores. But how should I go about choosing them?

1) I roll for one spell, declaring which of the 2 lores I want. Then roll the next declaring the lore again, etc until I have 4 spells. This is how me and my 3rd opponent at tye tourney interpreted it, and the way I always did it in 7th (without any complaints).

2) I declare how many spells I want from each lore before rolling any of the dice. This is how my 1st opponent interpreted it.

3) I need to write how many spells I want from each lore on my army list. This is how my 2nd opponent interpreted it (but not the tourney organiser, since they hadn't told me to do this when I submitted my list).

So which is the correct way? I'm sure in my own mind that 3) is not correct, since the grey seer's rule says to declare "before rolling". If GW had wanted me to have to write it on my list this sentence would have been changed in the errata. I can see there is an argument for 2), but disagree since the section on selecting spells in the VBRB, refers to "each" spell, and has no restriction on me rolling for my spells one at a time that I can see.

Thoughts?
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The section on generating spells (reference section) says, that you roll a d6 for each of your Wizard's levels and then consult the table to see what spells have been generated.

This clearly implies to me, that you have to roll them all together, not one at a time.

So, I would go with 2), since the army book says, that you declare "before rolling".

You have to declare the number of spells from each lore and then roll the appropriate number of dice for each lore (different color dice or rolling on seperate spots to differentiate them).

Afterwards, you must choose a different spell from the same lore for each multiple you rolled as normal, and you can swap one of those four spells for the "Signature spell" of the same lore the spell you swap away is from, but you cannot do this for both lores (as per FAQ).

Bye
Thanee
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

I think you have it Thanee.

The only counter I can see to that argument is that I can still roll the spells one at a time, but not look up the result of each one. Doing this however is clearly absurd and against the spirit of the rules. So I think option 2) has it.

Cheers
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Yup, just grab dice in two different colors.

cheese-yellow = ruin
rotten-cheese-green = plague
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16