New faqs up on gw site!

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Hack n slash
Trainee Warrior

New faqs up on gw site!

Post by Hack n slash »

Ours has a minor update, the main rules have one so do beasts,daemons,dwarfs,ogres,vamps,woc, and orcs n gobbos, good rulings all round check them out.
The only reason i don't have it is i've not taken it yet!
Aimbob
Warrior

Post by Aimbob »

Under what section can I find those FAQS? I can never seem to find them on the gw site.

Next time provide us with a link, I'm going to continue the search now, hopefully I'll find it soon.
..__i___........__
...) ) ) ) ) ..r..(°°)
.\OOOOO/..../()\
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hack n slash
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hack n slash »

Sorry aimbob can't do links on an iPod.
The only reason i don't have it is i've not taken it yet!
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

It's actually not so hard to find, once you realize, that you have to look under "Gaming" on the GW site, and not under "Warhammer" (in the top navigation). :D

Bye
Thanee
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

A couple interesting bits from the main Rulebook errata/FAQ:

1) Inspiring presence is no longer mandatory. If you have troops with a higher leadership than the general, they get to use their higher leadership.

2) Okkam's Mindrazor does not benefit from inspiring presence or the leadership of a character in the unit

3) Clarifies that when placing template spells, the whole template does not need to be in spell range, just the hole in the center.

4) Sac Dagger is a "bonus" and so you better be rolling 2 dice instead of 1 for your spells ...

5) Characters can move within a unit as a normal move without the unit having to reform.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Darklady
Corsair

Post by Darklady »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:A couple interesting bits from the main Rulebook errata/FAQ:

4) Sac Dagger is a "bonus" and so you better be rolling 2 dice instead of 1 for your spells ...

Actually, unless I remember the text incorrectly, the Sac Dagger is a bonus power die so rolling 1 die is fine as "bonus power dice" count towards not enough power regardless of timing.

Q: Do bonus power dice, which are added to those taken from the
power pool when a Wizard casts a spell, count when working out if
a spell fails due to the Not Enough Power rule? (p32)
A: Yes, regardless of when these dice are added. The
exception to this rule is that it does not include any dice that
are secially stated as not being power dice (such as Night
Goblin’s Magic Mushroom dice).
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~Seneca
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Thanks for the link. Nice clarification concerning the Dagger.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

1) Inspiring presence is no longer mandatory. If you have troops with a higher leadership than the general, they get to use their higher leadership.

2) Okkam's Mindrazor does not benefit from inspiring presence or the leadership of a character in the unit

3) Clarifies that when placing template spells, the whole template does not need to be in spell range, just the hole in the center.

5) Characters can move within a unit as a normal move without the unit having to reform.

Hmm? None of those seem new to me. That's exactly as it was before.

EDIT: This here is wrong (see below):
@5) If you ONLY move the character within the unit, the unit doesn't even count as moved.

Bye
Thanee
Last edited by Thanee on Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darklady
Corsair

Post by Darklady »

Thanee wrote:@5) If you ONLY move the character within the unit, the unit doesn't even count as moved.

Bye
Thanee

Actually, it does:

Q: Can characters change position inside a unit as part of a normal
move?(p97)
A: Yes, as long as they end up in the rank closest to the front
of the unit that has a space in. It is also worth remembering
that even if only the character moves the whole unit will count
as moving that turn
Having a belligerent officer barge his way
through the unit is not conducive to a good round of shooting!
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~Seneca
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

i find it intresting that 1's to wound don't autofail, which makes flaming sword of ruin more intresting, making that exexutionar horde a 1+ to wound with killing blow would mean all your hits are wounds.

Also there are combo possibility's for a the withering, crossbows, sword of rhuin, guiding eye trick
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

DarkLady wrote:Actually, unless I remember the text incorrectly, the Sac Dagger is a bonus power die so rolling 1 die is fine as "bonus power dice" count towards not enough power regardless of timing.

You remember it correctly:

the Sorceress may sacrifice a model in the unit she has joined... The Sorceress gains a power dice that must be rolled and added to the casting total...

So if you roll a 1 or a 2 (not enough power) you can indeed sacrifice a spearman (or whomever!) to get another power dice, making it almost certain you'll get a total of 3 or more, which is "enough power".
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Thanee wrote:

Hmm? None of those seem new to me. That's exactly as it was before.
for 1, i heard people trying to argue that if you lower general Ld by 3, your whole army (well, everything within 12") is forced to use his ld.... it was stupid, but when it comes from certain people in a club, its like god just spoke...
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Well, the rule did say "must use the General's leadership," which implies there is no option NOT to use it if it has been reduced.

But I think the change is a good one myself.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Also, on the movement of characters, the only rule in the book that I know of that allows characters to move within a unit is the "Make Way" rule. I was just thinking about it the other day that technically a reform is needed to move a character in a unit. Of course now it just got FAQ'ed.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Durzod
Corsair

Post by Durzod »

Also on Occam's Mindrazor: It states that you use the LD characteristic as written on the profile. Therefore Cold Ones are S 3 when Mindrazored. Finally solved a question I had.
The pellet with the poison's in the.Vessel with the Pestle.
The Chalice from the Palace has the brew that is true.
-------------------------------------------------------
Nowhere in the rules does it say that Giant's CAN'T fly.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I thought it was the LD of the model, not the creature. COK models are LD 8-9 (don't have the book in front of me), not LD 3.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

This:

Q: Can a unit near or on the board edge pivot (or wheel) so that
part of the unit (or its base) is temporarily off of the board? (p27)
A: Yes, though it is not allowed to end its movement with part
of the unit (or its base) off the board.

Is just plain stupid.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Vulcan wrote:I thought it was the LD of the model, not the creature. COK models are LD 8-9 (don't have the book in front of me), not LD 3.

The rider's LD is 9. The Cold One is LD3. Since these use separate stat lines in order to make their normal attacks, I would think that they still use their split characteristics. Only when making rolls that are characteristic tests do you only use the best stat of the entire model.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Ah, well, kinda irrelevant anyway. I've never wasted a Mindrazor on COK; it helps S3 stuff sooo much more.
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

There was a thread on Okkam's: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67574&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

Greenwhy wrote:
c_freman wrote:Aren't mounts in a cavalry unit considered to be the same model as the rider? In that case, woulnd't the mounts use the rider's Ld?

Correct!

Page 82: Although cavalry have split characteristics, it is treated in all respects as a single model.

Page 82: We assume the rider to be in complete control of his mount, the mount's leadership is never used unless a special rule states otherwise.

Okkam's Mindrazor does not state specifically to use the mount's Ld, so therefor we use the rider's.

Maldor wrote:The new rulebook says that Inspiring Presence allows units in range of the general to "substitute his Ld for their own", not "use his Ld for Ld tests" like in previous editions.

Correct! Although, you say it like they have the option to use their own which is not true. If you read the wording carefully it actually says they use the General's leadership unless he is fleeing, which means they don't have the option not to.

Toonces wrote:you simply use your Ld value. So Inspiring Presence, Doom and Darkness, Strength in Numbers, Standard of Discipline - all of these things can raise or lower the Strength value used with Mindrazor.

Correct! They can also potentially combine at the same time.

Example: An Empire Wizard casts doom and darkness on a Master who is leading a dark elf army, reducing his Ld to 6. In his own Magic phase the dark elf player casts Okkam's mindrazer on a unit of Corsairs who are within range of the Master's inspiring presence. The corsairs will have strength 6 attacks in the close combat phase as they use their general's leadership as their own.

obviously much of what I said has now been changed thanks to the changes in inspiring presence and the Okkam's. The mounts aspect remains the same however.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

DarkLady wrote:
Thanee wrote:@5) If you ONLY move the character within the unit, the unit doesn't even count as moved.

Bye
Thanee

Actually, it does:

Q: Can characters change position inside a unit as part of a normal
move?(p97)
A: Yes, as long as they end up in the rank closest to the front
of the unit that has a space in. It is also worth remembering
that even if only the character moves the whole unit will count
as moving that turn
Having a belligerent officer barge his way
through the unit is not conducive to a good round of shooting!

Ah... then I misremembered that part. My bad!

Thanks for the correction! :)

@Enkiel: Yeah, it is always helpful to have such a clear clarification at hand. Didn't mean to imply, that it was not useful. :)

Bye
Thanee