Focus Familiar

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Focus Familiar

Post by Lorddrittz »

I am sure this has come up before but couldn't find the thread.

1. If using the Focus Familiar and miscasting, how do the miscasts work? Do templates from miscasts still get centered over the Wizard?

2. If you cast Purple Sun using the Focus Familiar which direction does the Purple Sun travel in? or do you get to choose?
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

1. Wizard: FF has no influence over miscasts.
2. FF replaces wizard's position for casting spells.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

So I guess the Purple Sun leaves the Focus Familiar in the direction the Familiar is facing?
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

That begs the question of whether the focus familiar even has a facing.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Actually, no, I disagree.

The FF allows the caster to draw LoS and range from the familiar, but purple sun has to be placed in based contact with the caster (who is still the Sorceress herself).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

FF is not limited to LOS and range. I see not why Purple sun couldn't be cast from FF.
And yes, nothing requires FF to have a facing at all (mine has not, it is a cute old model of baby dragon).
FF is limited to casting spells, i.e. not miscasts.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

I better dust off my imp carrying a lantern Lore of Death or Dark here I come.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

FF was written in last edition when a single model had a 360 LOS. therefore facing isnt mentioned in its description. RAW it has no facing and can cast in any direction.
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

I believe Setomidor has a point. The wording on Purple sun is rather explicit unfortunatley and FF make no provisions for being counted as the caster. If it did, it would work for miscasts as well, I´d say.

FF is still a wicked item for a death wizard though. Being able to cast the two scaleable snipe spells at low cast value up to 18" is very convenient, as is 30" max range for said spells.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Gastronauticon wrote:The wording on Purple sun is rather explicit unfortunatley and FF make no provisions for being counted as the caster
What is the exact wording of FF?
(I won't have any access to my AB for several weeks)
Is it strictly LoS and range and nothing else, or is it something like "to cast spells using position of FF rather than spell caster, including for LoS and range"?
In the latter case, AB > BRB.
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Here is the wording of the FF page 103 Dark Elf Book.

"The Focus Familiar allows the wielder to cast spells from a different position on the battlefield. Place a marker at the start of each dark elf magic phase within 6"s of the Sorceress at least 1" away from enemies. She may use this position when determining range and LOS for her spells, and whether she counts as in combat or not."

So the Sorceress can hide behind a building and use the FF to still cast spells.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OK, let's simplify the 3 sentences of the wording.
1. Allows to cast spell from FF.
2. Place the FF.
3. Use FF for range, LOS and "in combat".

The sentence "1" includes everything required to cast a spell.
The sentence "3" specifies that even preliminary parts of casting a spell are made from the FF.
I don't see how people could argue that placing a template is not part of a spell and cannot be made from the FF (see sentence "1").

So clearly, the FF replaces the caster for placing the template.
Including purple sun, and including if there is a "misfire" (which is not a miscast).

So place your sorc behind a building, the FF inside the building, and the template starts from the building!

-=-=-

There has been a debate about FF and miscasts. Are they part of the spell or not?
The result of the debate here in D.net was that miscasts are resolved after the spell, and FF does not mention anything about miscasts, therefore miscasts should remain on the caster, not the FF.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I can see how it from the BRB says that it's from the caster and all that strictly reading the book makes you not able to use the FF for this spell (As the focus familiar doesn't mention vortexes being cast from its base).

However, what is the intentions of the FF? To cast spells through it instead of the wizard itself. So the wording breaks the most likely intentions of the familiar.

I know some houserules saying that you'll use the FF as base for these things, but it can be argued otherwise as well... My own opinion is that you use the familiar.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

I will concede that the Sorceress still receives the miscasts as nothing is mentioned of these with the FF.

However if casting Purple Sun and misfiring, then the Spell should end up on the FF (point of origin) rather than the Sorceress herself.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

LordDrittz wrote: However if casting Purple Sun and misfiring, then the Spell should end up on the FF (point of origin) rather than the Sorceress herself.

This has been my thoughts as well, but with an easy argument for the other side & lack of clarification, I haven't pressed the issue.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I enjoy fielding one when I have Death. To me the FF is a point of origin, but not point of Casting. It's just a tool for the caster so miscast goes on caster, but I still use 360 LOS.
Oderint dum Metuant.