Pegasus Vanguard Confusion

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

khadeorn
Slave (off the Altar)

Pegasus Vanguard Confusion

Post by khadeorn »

People often mention on this forum that they use the peg master to "hitch a ride" on the vanguard move of the dark riders or warlocks. However, after thoroughly reading the rules on fast cav, it seems clear to me this is not possible, as any non fast cav unit joining the unit disallows the use of fast cav rules. Since the peg is a flyer, not fast cav, that would be the case.

Am I missing something? I haven't found any formal debate on the matter but I apologize if this is a repost. Thanks!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Pegasus Vanguard Confusion

Post by Dalamar »

I've never seen anyone mention "hitching a ride" with vanguarding dark riders on a peg master... If they did, that move is completely illegal. In fact the Dark Riders would lose the ability to Vanguard if joined by a peg master.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
khadeorn
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by khadeorn »

Okay well that clears that up! Maybe I'm crazy but I swear I've seen a few people mention it.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's the first time I hear about this, but Dalamar is correct. Deploying the Peg in the fast cav unit would make the unit lose their fast cav and thus vanguard.

However, what gets used instead is that one fast cavalry unit is deployed separatedly and then makes it vanguard move. In the first turn, the fast cavalry unit makes its move and the character can fly into the unit to join it. Depending on deployment, that can permit up to a 20" move with the whole unit. That is legal, but it requires the pegasus character to have started alone or in another unit than the vanguarding unit.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I think part of the confussion about this comes from the fact that Bretonian pegasus rider are indeed fast cavalry.
Some people even think that riding a pegasus gives the 'Fast Cavalry' rule.
It does not ofcourse, but that does not stop people from trying ;-)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Heh! Nice catch. Adding that most people will model their peg characters with a Bretonian Pegasus and the confusion is complete.

Maybe I should model my Bloodwrack Shrine like a steamtank. One has nothing to lose by trying.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Daeron wrote:Heh! Nice catch. Adding that most people will model their peg characters with a Bretonian Pegasus and the confusion is complete.

Maybe I should model my Bloodwrack Shrine like a steamtank. One has nothing to lose by trying.

While we're at it, a dreadlord from the old pleasure cult days would make a convincing daemon prince of slaanesh ;)

I do indeed use bret pegs for my 2 pegmasters and pegsorceress. Cheap models, and if you paint them in a suitably dark tone, who's to say thats not a dark pegasus. I have, however, never attempted to vanguard any of them :D
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.