Characteristics reduction?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Characteristics reduction?

Post by Thraundil »

So I have a question - namely if this 'exploit' is actually a valid strategy. Because if it is... Oh boy. There could be some nasty strategies for us dark elves with easy access to S and T reduction. Dark wizard + warlocks, or shadow wizard + warlocks, could reasonably reliably wipe entire units of S3/T3 troops with no saves at all save for dispels, and with a little luck, S4/T4 units could also be wiped in a similar manner - however this requires a 3 on a d3, whereas the above situation is 2 and 3 out of d3, so abit more likely.

Here's the thing. I stumbled upon this in the BRB, which I never really read the start of before because I always found characteristics pretty self explanatory. I've checked the latest F.A.Q. and it doesnt seem to have been altered.

"If at any time a model's Strength, Toughness or Wounds are reduced to 0 or less by magic or a special rule, it is slain and removed from play."

Step one. Soulblight the HE players phoenix guard that is not in close combat. He will probably let it through, because why would he waste DD when his big, nasty, mean PG unit with the 3+ ward from high magic is not even in combat. OK, his PG are now S2 and T2.

Step two. Toss 6 dice on a boosted word of pain, or a Withering in their direction, too. Roll d3. On a 1, he is S1/T1. Bother. At least, in the case of T1, all your crossbows will wound on 2's. But on a roll of 2 or 3 on the d3, his S and T will be 0. Whoopsie! Entire unit wiped. Including elf wizards, even combat characters if you went with withering or by chance score a 3 on the d3.

So I guess the real question I'm asking is... Is this shiz legit? Can I actually wipe out entire infantry hordes if I combo soulblight and word of pain on top of them? 66% chance, if both spells get through. I wouldnt try the combo on S4 / T4 stuff, since its just 1/3, but this kinda odds is a gamble I'd probably take.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Characteristics reduction?

Post by Calisson »

Soulblight (Death #3):
"-1 S and -1 T (to a minimum of 1)"

The Enfeebling Foe (Shadows #2):
"S reduced by D3 (to a minimum of 1)"

The Withering (Shadows #3):
"T reduced by D3 (to a minimum of 1)"

Word of pain (Dark #2):
"WS and BS reduced by D3; powered version, same -D3 to S and I (to a minimum of 1)"

The hard rock bottom at 1 is specified each time.
Nice try!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

FML ^^

Scrap the question, then! I just should learn to read the actual spell specifications ;)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

From what I've seen the only stat that you can really only get to 0 with a nice effect is WS. It's not hard to get to 0 on a lot of core troops and WS 0 means you auto hit them. This could make something like a horde of our spearmen devastating.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Is there anything that reduces S or T to 0? It's somewhat odd to explicitly state that if S or T goes to 0 it is auto-death and then not give any means of accomplishing that.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Taijushue
Cold One Knight

Post by Taijushue »

Can't think of any spells, but there are the items that drop characteristics when they hit/wound and I believe some of those dont have the Min 1 rule. I could be wrong as I am at work and have no way to check myself
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Skaven Wither can reduce T to 0.
It drops T by 1 each time it's cast and lasts entire game... so 3 successful casts will wipe out a T3 unit.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Truant
Dark Rider

Post by Truant »

You forget the super-combo

Goblin warboss with wizarding hat.
Hope for Shadow and -D3 strength.

Because goblin netters do not have the minimum 1!
Hit him with the spell, get his Strength to 1 and net him to death (yes the whole unit dissapears).

It's such a funny combo and some friends of mine won a price for the "best combo" on a Tag Team tournament we had (they played old VC with 2 shadow loremasters and a goblin army with 5 units with nets :twisted: )
Pain is Temporary
Pride is Forever