Power of Darkness

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

toots
Beastmaster

Power of Darkness

Post by toots »

Daft question - but can power of darkness only be cast on the unit in which the caster is situated? i.e. it cannot be targeted onto a separate unit.

thanks,

james
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Power of Darkness

Post by Daeron »

Power of Darkness has no selectable "target". It boosts the unit the caster resides in.
So yes, only the caster's unit.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

So keep that wizard expendable... or well protected!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

oh ok thanks, shame though. and a bit of a weird spell. good for the power dice though obviously.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

how do you guys use the spell? it seems completely pointless!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It is quite pointless. I have not used the spell but intend to try it on a level 1 or 2 sorceress as a cheap strength boost.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

seems like it could be used at the end of a magic phase with a level 4 - cast on a 3+ i think, would generate 2 more dice to use. if she suffers a wound, she can use the other spell to absorb wounds back! that's just about the only way i could see it working.

maybe in a unit if there is a spell cast on it which requires strength tests.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Pointless? In my two towers list I try to take it unless there's something more pressing. A horde of Corsairs, frenzied, with AHW and S4 attacks is nothing to sneeze at. The extra power dice definitely help as well. You can use your PD to cast other things leaving PoD last, by that time hopefully your opponent has used his dispel dice. Cast PoD (I usually use 1 die, with a lvl 4 Dark you get it on a 3+, if you don't get, meh it was your last die), get more dice, try one more spell. It's a nice trick to spring on your opponent to get off that sorely needed Word of Pain, etc. It's a gambler's strategy, but it has paid me back in spades for using it.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Say your dark sorcerer in unit A casts it and then swaps places with a shadow sorcerer in unit B. Which unit gets the +1 strength?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

marcopollo wrote:Say your dark sorcerer in unit A casts it and then swaps places with a shadow sorcerer in unit B. Which unit gets the +1 strength?
That's the unit where the sorcerer is. If the sorcerer changes unit, so does the bonus.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Definitely not pointless. I normally put a sorceress in a unit of warriors to stab for more power dice anyway, so it's not really a bad side effect to get S4 elves.

You could always take Doombolt if you don't like PoD.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Far from pointless!

Other than useful for the strength bonus (which you shouldn't underestimate), a lvl 4 or a 2 with sac dagger can give you on average more power dice, or it can greatly improve your chance of getting of a mid-level spell late in the magic phase - with any level caster. I wrote up a whole post with probability tables on how to use it: HERE
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

can anyone explain how the strength bonus would be beneficial? surely the only context in which it's useful is in combat - and if you have a level 4 sorceress in the front rank of a combat, surely you're doing something wrong... (although maybe it's useful if a spell is cast on the unit which requires a strength test)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Firstly, some sorceresses love combat:
- Well protected Supreme sorc on a CO, with Black Amulet, especially if she has soul stealer too
- Expandable Low level sorc on a CO, with the two signature spells (you can even get several of them in the same unit)

Secondly, some sorceresses don't mind their unit to go to combat:
- 5 wide unit with muso & pennant joined by a Shrine or a COB, a sorceress would be moved to 2nd rank.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

wroot wrote:can anyone explain how the strength bonus would be beneficial?

:shock:

We're S3 elves. A+1 to strength is always beneficial. :)
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

Image Image
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

yeah that's obvious, but it can only be cast on the caster's unit - i.e. the caster must be in close combat for it be of use.

are we saying that the unit she's in has to be so damn wide that she's on a corner and so hopefully can't be attacked?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Caster with Black Amulet doesn't mind being in combat.
Other uses:
Enemy has Lore of Life and Dwellers
Enemy has Dark Magic and Black Horror
Enemy has Lore of Death and the S snipe
Enemy has Lore of Light and Net of Amyntok

That's just from the top of my head.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I tend to run her in a shrine unit in horde formation, so yes, you can keep her out of combat. Giving her a ward save helps too.

Image Image
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

guys - so sorry but it seems like i'm a bit slow on the uptake!

is it the done thing to try to cast this with a level four with ONE die, ie. on a 3+, if a 1 or a 2 is rolled, then use the sac dagger to increase that so that the spell doesn't fail? that way the caster can still cast for the rest of the phase and has a 66% of of rolling a 2 or a 3 for power dice produced as a result of using PoD.

that's what we're all doing, right?!
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Not me. I use my level 4 with one die. Don't take sac dagger. But I do it as the last spell of the phase. If I don't get it off, no big deal. If I need to do it before the last spell, I use 2 dice.

Image Image
Pablo
Shade

Post by Pablo »

I would use the sac agger in that way. I use life and one dice the first 4 spells and if I fail, just add a dice. Works supperwell and puts a lot of pressure on the. Enemy.
Creating a Cult of Mathlann Army!