[FAQ] Will of Gods and cavalry

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

[FAQ] Will of Gods and cavalry

Post by Calisson »

This thread is open for public discussion about a rule which needs clarification.

This is what we have FAQed:
Q: How do I place a Cauldron of Blood or Bloodwrack Shrine in units when footprints collide, i.e. with cavalry or a Bloodwrack Medusa? (RB p.98)
A: The Cauldron or Shrine is placed in the middle of the unit and the unit is formed around it. The third rank and on will be a little lopsided, but it's fine. A Medusa joined by a Shrine/COB must be side by side in the front rank. All rules for colliding footprints RB p.98 still apply.

First of all, I'd like to recall why we ruled out that Will of Gods should allow a chariot to join cavalry. In short:
- "Will of Gods" does not restrict to infantry.
- There is no difficulty at all for a chariot to join a single medusa, or a single cavalry model. It follows 100% of all written rules, including "When footprint collide" p.98.
- When there is more than one cavalry model, the rule "Will of Gods" requires to place the chariot in the middle, when the rule "When Footprint Collide" requires it on the side; our understanding (and the FAQ) is that these conflicting requirements are solved by AB>BRB, as p.6 prescribes.

The issue is how to place the cavalry models in the 3rd rank?

As long as there are only 1 or 2 ranks of cavalry models, there is no issue, since the chariot base (100 mm) is exactly 2 length of cavalry bases (50 mm).
The problem starts with the third rank, as cavalry models are 25mm wide and the chariot is 60 mm, i.e. 10 mm more than 2 cavalry models.

Note that "When Footprint Collide" precludes anyway the chariot to be counted in the full ranks.
Note also that BRB p.5 states that the last rank may have less models than previous ranks, it may never have more ranks.

That leaves out two possibilities:
- to keep the last rank in two blocks, on each sides of the chariot, which has no model behind.
- to keep the last rank in a single block, with a maximum of models that cannot exceed the first rank (chariot excluded), some models may be set up behind the chariot.
See examples made for a unit with 16 models, 5 wide i.e. 5+5+5+1
Will of Gods.jpg

These two possibilities diverge slightly from the prescription p.5:
- the red one introduces a hole, instead of keeping models "edge to edge"
- the blue one introduces an irregularity, and is no longer made of mathematical columns to speak of.
Note that either possibility is perfectly playable, even in case the unit is charged on the rear or on either side, thanks to the ruling p.49.

Question:
Should we amend the FAQ about "Will of Gods?:

Version A.
Q: How do I place a Cauldron of Blood or Bloodwrack Shrine in units when footprints collide, i.e. with cavalry or a Bloodwrack Medusa? (RB p.98)
A: The Cauldron or Shrine is placed in the middle of the unit and the unit is formed right and left around it. The third rank and on will be in two blocks, but it's fine. A Medusa joined by a Shrine/COB must be side by side in the front rank. All rules for colliding footprints RB p.98 still apply.

Version B.
A: The Cauldron or Shrine is placed in the middle of the unit and the unit is formed around it. The third rank and on will be set in a single block a little lopsided, but it's fine; they may not count more models than the first rank, excluding the chariot. A Medusa joined by a Shrine/COB must be side by side in the front rank. All rules for colliding footprints RB p.98 still apply.

Version C.
No change. Let the player chose, anyway either version is as playable.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [FAQ] Will of Gods and cavalry

Post by Daeron »

I think version A follows the rules more closely. It should be noted that the bws or cob can not be counted or contribute to the ranks of the unit. The rule describing how a character can contribute to ranks is defined in the section for characters with footprints that match an exact number of models, which doesn't apply.

The benefit from A is that it is somewhat intuitive, if you compare it with the original drawing of a character sitting by the side of the unit. It is the same formation, except that the unit is split around the character instead. But otherwise the same rules apply for ranks, etc.

The difference between A or B and the current FAQ answer becomes crucial when looking at thin formations. Suppose it's fast cav reforming three wide, then both version A and B require three models in the front rank excluding the cob or bws. The current faq would suggest they could queue up cutely behind. That probably doesn't sit too well with the rules.

Either way, i think it is a relevant topic. While I doubt many people will field with either cob or bws in their cavalry unit, if we see that the ld of a cob drops to 0 when the hag is down, it could be worth saving it by having it run into a fast cav unit which could easily turn around to pick it up. It could be a last ditch effort to prevent the enemy from winning over 300 vps
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

I like version A. It reminds me of a unit that is flanked on both sides and doesn't have a full back rank, models on each side with a gap in the middle.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well, this seems to recieve mostly positive feedback. Are there any other views on this? Because it might be handy to update the FAQ with this explanation.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze