multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Post Reply
User avatar
toots
Beastmaster
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Post by toots »

Hi,

my unit A charges an opponent unit and it holds.

My unit B charges the same opponent unit, but it flees this time due to terror or just choosing to.

Obviously B can test to redirect, but can A also?

What if this happened with four units? Can they all redirect if on the fourth charge the opponent unit flees?

Thanks for your help recently!!
User avatar
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair
Posts: 8767
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Hag Graef

Re: multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Post by Calisson »

FAQ:
Q: If multiple units have declared a charge against a unit that has chosen a Flee! Charge response, can they all attempt to redirect their charge if there is another viable target in range? (p18)
A: Yes. The controlling player chooses in which order to try and redirect his charging units.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
User avatar
toots
Beastmaster
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Re: multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Post by toots »

hang on... this could be amazing.

if for example, you have cast SHROUD (very much flavour of the month at tooty towers) and a unit with LD9 has been affected by it, if you have 4 units with terror charging the same unit, i think crudely (or perhaps accurately), the probability of it running away from (at least?) one is 4*0.17 = 0.68

and then they can all redirect? to another unit, which now has LD8 (base LD9, -1 because of SHROUD), so the chance of that one running is 4*0.42 = ... ok not greater than 1, but you can see what i mean. and perhaps those units near the first unit need to take a panic test as a unit within 6" ran away?

am i making sense? thanks for your input.
User avatar
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.

Re: multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Yes but using Terror with Shroud is a basic strategy. but thats for the other thread
(besides if you dud it right you opponent should alrdy sit on a lower Ld.

On the main matter tho I think the first unit will have suffered a Failed charge reaction if the charge has already been completed (so they are in base contact with your unit) and cant move any further.
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
User avatar
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend
Posts: 1177
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: The Depths of Despair

Re: multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Post by Thraundil »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:On the main matter tho I think the first unit will have suffered a Failed charge reaction if the charge has already been completed (so they are in base contact with your unit) and cant move any further.


Remember the correct sequence of the charge sub-phase is to first declare all charges before you move any charging unit. So you can declare a charge on unit A with first monster 1, then 2, then 3 (lets say he fails terror here and flees). Then redirect with monster 1 and 2 since they haven't even moved yet. No charge movement is resolved until you are completely through with declaring and redirecting all charges.

As an educational side note for toots :twisted: calculating the statistical odds like you do: if a unit fails LD on a 0,17 chance and it has to take this test four times, you dont multiply the chance by four. Rather, you say the chance of succeeding each time is 0,83. Which means the chance of making 4 subsequent successful tests is 0,83 to the power of 4, or 0,83^4 if you will. 0,47, or 47% chance to make it. Which translates to a 53% chance of failing at least one of the four tests. This says nothing of which test it will fail - the odds of failing the first or the last are equally great.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
User avatar
toots
Beastmaster
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Re: multiple charges on same unit, fleeing

Post by toots »

Ok thanks so much guys, appreciate it!

P.s. Yeah I remembered how to figure out the probabilities!
Post Reply