Can Warlock take Arcane Item?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cicciuz
Warrior

Can Warlock take Arcane Item?

Post by Cicciuz »

Hi All,

can Warlock take arcane item?
they are a level 2 wizard so they should be able to get up to 50 points worth of magic items.
it would be amazing to give them a scroll of dispersion ;)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Can Warlock take Arcane Item?

Post by Daeron »

They have no point allowance for any sort of magic items. So no. I hope it's not too much of a disappointment.. They are quite powerful as it is though :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

you can put a sorcerer on a dark steed in their group, with magic items which they might share some of the benefits from.
But otherwise as Daeron says.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

Pretty lean and efficient thank you guys!
another question:
magic resistance give a ward save against magic. Does this sum up to the Ward safe of a character? so for example Morathi with 4+ ward safe and magic resistance (2) will actually get ward safe against magic 2+?
does this count on the wound inflicted by the miscast table as well?
does this mean that she can run Power of darkness without any fear of an odd wound? :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yes, ward saves and magic resistance stacks. Morathi has a 2+ ward save against magic spells.

No, miscasts are a magical effect but not magic. The magic resistance will not work against miscast effects.

However, power of darkness is a spell, and the wound it may inflict on the caster is a spell effect. Morathi would therefore have a 2+ ward save against this.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

So If I put a sorceress with a ring of Hotek in a unit of Warlock they will have a ward save against magic of 1+?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Yes, you'd get 1++ against magic.
Now, reading BRB p.43, you'll find out that a roll of 1 for a saving throw of any kind is always a failure, so a 1++ has same effect as a 2++.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

thanks very helpful.
one last question, does MR sums up with regen as well?
for example if i cast earthblood (regen 5+) on a unit with ss with ROH does they have 2+ against magic attacks?
if i also have throne of vines do I have a 2+ ward save when they try to dispel my remains in play spell?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

As far as I know, MR does not stack with regen.
I don't understand your last question though. Ward Saves do not help against dispelling. If they dispel the remains-in-play spell, then no ward save or regen can help you (unless you suffer damage from a dispel).
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

marcopollo wrote:While true Cihan, MR does stack with earthblood's regen. And if using life, you should be getting throne of vines up ASAP so that you can avoid miscast damage.

5++ regen (4++ with throne of vines), plus MR 2 gives the unit 3++(2++) against magic spells. Throne of vines will also protect against miscasts. And if your opponent wastes powerdice dispelling it (it is an RiP) then that counts as magical defense in my books. Take away three dice in his magic phase and you are looking pretty good.

For me, the best bunker for a SS is 7 CoK with a life mage, a nasty dreadlord and a defensive master.

from discussion: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76655

Just to be sure as this other post confused me...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I can look up the exact page tonight, but no sooner, I'm afraid.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Cicciuz, just a few posts below your own quote, you would read:
marcopollo wrote:I stand corrected. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I owe one of my opponents an apology.

The source of rules is not Internet discussion, it is the rulebook + FAQ.
If you wish to assess whether MR might stack with regen, it is up to you to demonstrate it, not up to your opponent to demonstrate the opposite.
Man, if any "rule" imagined by anyone on the Web had to be proven false, we would spend crazy hours for nothing. So let the theorician of a "rule" demonstrate it, and not the other way.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}