Moving Fury

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cicciuz
Warrior

Moving Fury

Post by Cicciuz »

let's imagine i have a death hag with witchbrewery that grants fury to the unit and a shadow sorceress in another unit.
If i cast a successful spell I can swap place of the sorceress with the death hag to another unit.
now both the unit should have fury, as the ability stays with the unit rather than the character, is it correct?
or only the second unit will have fury?

btw can the sorceress swap place with a character on a chariot? they are both on foot so I would assume yes
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Moving Fury

Post by Calisson »

let's imagine i have a death hag with witch brewery that grants fury to the unit and a shadow sorceress in another unit.
If i cast a successful spell I can swap place of the sorceress with the death hag to another unit.
now both the unit should have fury, as the ability stays with the unit rather than the character, is it correct?
or only the second unit will have fury?

Short answer, no, only last unit has fury.

Long answer, the way the rule has been written leaves open, for unscrupulous rule lawyers, strange possibilities such as this one, and many more even weirder.
When we discovered the AB, that seemed really out of proportion, unfair and most likely unintended.
This is why in D.net, we made a FAQ, which you can access on top center of your screen, to advise players not to push rules too far.
We would consider hence that witch brew affects only a single unit at one time, the one inside which the DH is present and alive.

btw can the sorceress swap place with a character on a chariot? they are both on foot so I would assume yes
No. A character on a chariot is no longer a character on foot.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

what if the unit the DH is in lose the frenzy, if the DH is swapped to another unit will the second unit get the frenzy?
if than the DH is swapped again to the original unit, will the original unit gain again the frenzy?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

I'd go with no on both counts. If the DH + her unit loses a combat, their frenzy is gone. Witchbrew says "this model and bla bla gains the frenzy special rule". Once the DH has lost it via a lost combat, the item is no longer effective.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Also in D.net FAQ.
Sure, the rules as written could be understood as you say, but that would lead to crazy situations most likely unintended.
That is why it has been FAQed by D.net as Thraundil says.

D.net FAQ:
Witchbrew (p.46)
Q: What happens in case some models had
already Frenzy and some models did not? What
happens when the Death Hag dies? When she
leaves her unit? If the DH has been beaten in
combat?
A: The models in the unit (including the Death
Hag) only gain +2 Attacks and suffer -3 to
Leadership when testing not to declare a charge if
every model in the unit already had the Frenzy
special rule. Witchbrew only affects the unit that
the Death Hag is currently with, and the effects
are lost if the Death Hag dies or leaves the unit.
The effects of Witchbrew are permanently lost if
the Death Hag is beaten in combat (whether on
her own or in a unit).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I used that tactic when the new AB came out a few times. It is overpowered. I would start the brewhag on one side of the board inside a unit of 5 CoK. Then moved her down the lines and settling down with either of my big infantry blocks.

It is overpowered and a nuisance of a mechanism. But getting 10 ST 6 attacks and 15 ST 4 attacks on a 150 pt CoK unit is certainly overpowered. I have used once recently when I played against a notorious rules lawyer at our club.

Although, I don't believe that the intention of the rule was to limit the brewhag frenzy until it lost combat for the first time. We play it as eternal frenzy for the unit as long as the brewhag is alive when they lose combat. Kind of like the frenzy banner for skullcrushers in the WoC army.