Cauldron of Blood and shooting

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

khayman82
Slave on the Altar

Cauldron of Blood and shooting

Post by khayman82 »

Guys what are the rules for shooting at a cauldron in a unit of witch elves (ie a chariot in a unit of foot troops?)

There aren't any 'unique' rules in the army book, so I'm guessing it comes under the rules for chariots (or other large targets) in units of a different troop type, but i cant make out what they are? It seems that the enemy cant specifically target the cauldron in the unit, but I'm reluctant to take my shiny new cauldron out in it's first battle and have it get shot to pieces :S

Can someone please confirm whether or not it is possible to target the cauldron (or any other chariot in a unit) specifically?

cheers :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Cauldron of Blood and shooting

Post by Amboadine »

Basically you cannot target the CoB (or the Hag) separately with shooting except with template weapons, weapons with Sniper rule, or that damn cannon.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

To elaborate on Amboadines comment: the cauldron, when joining a unit, follows all the rules for a character in a unit. So: cant be singled out by your opponent for BS shooting or magic missiles. Can be selectively targeted by templates, cannons, death magic snipes and the like.

Do keep in mind though - since the cauldron is of a different troop type than whatever it joins, YOU, the controlling player, have the option to allocate shooting hits to it (again, following the rules for a character of troop type A joining a unit of troop type B). Often, when taking 5 S3 shots from some puny high elves, it might be beneficial to elect one shot to hit your cauldron, thus only wounding on a 6, preserving your preciously fragile witches.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

could you expand on this point please?

Thraundil wrote:To elaborate on Amboadines comment: the cauldron, when joining a unit, follows all the rules for a character in a unit. So: cant be singled out by your opponent for BS shooting or magic missiles. Can be selectively targeted by templates, cannons, death magic snipes and the like.

Do keep in mind though - since the cauldron is of a different troop type than whatever it joins, YOU, the controlling player, have the option to allocate shooting hits to it (again, following the rules for a character of troop type A joining a unit of troop type B). Often, when taking 5 S3 shots from some puny high elves, it might be beneficial to elect one shot to hit your cauldron, thus only wounding on a 6, preserving your preciously fragile witches.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Expand how? :)
Its all pretty well explained (unusual in warhammer but hey!) on page 99 of the BRB. But if you can expand your request for an expanded answer a bit, i can expand my answer a bit ;)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

ah ok thanks man. got it