Cauldron of blood and Hag

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cicciuz
Warrior

Cauldron of blood and Hag

Post by Cicciuz »

Hi,

probably this question has been asked so many times, but can i use witchbrew and fury of khaine on a unit that has no frenzy?
example: I have a units of 30 corsairs with the cauldron of blood. the hag give them frenzy and the cauldron give them super frenzy! is that legal?

another question:
can my opponent shoot directly at the cauldron?
if not, he is shooting at my unit of corsairs. given that the COB is a large target will my opponent get the +1 when shooting at the corsairs?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Cauldron of blood and Hag

Post by Vulcan »

Part 1... yes. Witchbrew gives frenzy, Fury gives a frenzied unit superfrenzy.

Part 2... I don't think so, but I've never used the Cauldron since it went from war machine to chariot.
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

1) On the Cauldron of Blood page (AB pg47) under the Fury of Khaine rule it states it is not cumulative with Witchbrew, so no.

2) I believe that they shoot at the unit in the case of BS shooting, but with Cannons/Stone Throwers they can single the Cauldron out. It also cannot be targeted directly by spells, unless the spell states otherwise i.e. targets a single model.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

My bad...

So use Tullaris instead.
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

I was hoping to maximize the use of the Hag on the Cauldron giving the superfrenzy to the unit...

it is not clear on point 2... so do they get the +1 to shoot at my unit+cauldron?
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

I think you're referring to a previous rule where enemies shooting at Large Targets received +1 To Hit. This is no longer the case in 8th edition - You do not receive a bonus for shooting at Large Targets. Therefore, they don't.
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

yeah you are right sorry...

why none is considering Witchbrew without the COB... I do not see many in our lists on the forum..
I think that a DH in a big unit of executioners will make them lethal.. if 2 even better, you ll have super frenzy!!
what am I missing from it? what does makes witchbrew not attractive?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Good question.

I've used twin threats - 30 Witches with Hellebron, 30 Exectuioners with Tullaris and Brewhag - to devastating effect. Stick an L4 (I prefer shadow or Dark) on a mobile steed and use lots of chaff and it's a really brutal combination. 2x5 Warlocks mixed in makes it harsh.
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

I'd say it's probably because Death Hags are really fragile. 2 of them with Witchbrew is 230 points. They only have 2W each and are T3. Furthermore, the -3 to Frenzy tests might also put some people off.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

That's why you need lots of chaff, to prevent frenzy-baiting.