Avert Your Gaze & Strength of Khaine

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Akholrak
Executioner

Avert Your Gaze & Strength of Khaine

Post by Akholrak »

I understand that there have been some recent questions on Medusae and AYG, but I didn't see this question covered.

So, if an enemy model fails an Initiative test, can the S4 hit be re-rolled if they are within 6" of a Cauldron of Blood due to Strength of Khaine?

Thanks in advance. :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Avert Your Gaze & Strength of Khaine

Post by Calisson »

It seems that all conditions for rerolling are met.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

So, even if not within 6" of a CoB, could they re-roll 1's to Wound as a result of Murderous Prowess? I would assume yes.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OK, found it.
Murderous Prowess is about 'close combat attacks'.
AYG is an attack, it happens during CC phase, but is it a 'close combat attack'?
See GW's FAQ:
Q: Do special rules that can inflict hits in close combat, such as Stomp and Breath Weapons, count as close combat attacks? (p42)
A: No they count as an unusual attack and will be distributed as a shooting attack.

So AYG is not to be considered as a 'close combat attack', and as non-such, cannot pretend to benefit from MP.
Based on D.net's FAQ, only attacks benefiting from MP are to benefit from SoK.

Conclusions:
RAW, AYG should benefit from SoK, like shooting or magic. However, D.net's interpretation and FAQ is that only attacks liable to MP should be upgraded to SoK benefits, so neither magic, nor shooting should benefit from SoK.
Therefore, for consistency, I would recommend to consider that AYG does not benefit from SoK.

It could well belong to a next version of our FAQ, if ever we did one.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Oh, well that's a shame. :/

Thanks for your help, Calisson. :)