Cold One Knights

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

Cold One Knights

Post by herpesFree »

Just wondering if you use the Cold One's toughness of 4 instead of the Knight's 3?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Cold One Knights

Post by Daeron »

Unfortunately, no. Cavalry uses the toughnes of the rider.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

Post by herpesFree »

That sucks balzac. Oh well!
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

from how I understood it, if the spell/attack targets the unit, then you can use the Cold One's toughness, however in close combat or spells/attacks there targets a model, you have to use the riders.

Is that correct?
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I don't think so. It's always the rider's toughness for troop type "cavalry". I could look up the exact words from the BRB tonight.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
IcemanDraich
Trainee Warrior

Post by IcemanDraich »

Since cavalry don't transfer to the rider i assume that they are always thougness 3.

Shooting, attacks, magical attacks are all aimed to the riders. Try to figure that when the riders die the horse or steed or something goes to eat is breakfast somwhere.

Montrous cavalry istead transfer their stats (wound and thoighness) to the rider, i think that is because they have a superior intelligence and will protect the rider at any cost so even if you aim a scary big arrow at the knight and pierce his armor the monster take the bolt in his place. But when the beast fall it eat his rider coz have a last breakfast is in their nature.

,)
IcemanDraich
Trainee Warrior

Post by IcemanDraich »

They are steadfast to have breakfast.

Sry I couldn't resist :D
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

Post by Mordrin Spiteblade »

Praetorian1979 wrote:from how I understood it, if the spell/attack targets the unit, then you can use the Cold One's toughness, however in close combat or spells/attacks there targets a model, you have to use the riders.

Is that correct?

The mounts wounds and toughness are never used, page 82 of the BRB. That monstrous cav you're thinking of!

Edited to add: Sorry Dearon I didn't meant to steal your thunder! :oops:
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hehe.. :P Thanks for jumping in.

- The stiff breeze
IcemanDraich
Trainee Warrior

Post by IcemanDraich »

Isn't dark pegasus a monstrous cavalry model? Or skullkrushers of khorne? They for sure give the riders thougness and wounds

My manual isn't in english my translation of monstrous cavalry wasn't correct "monstrous beasts" is called. Things like dragons, chimaeras, pegasus and so on...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Indeed, the Pegasus and the Skullcrushers pass on their toughness and wounds. Our Pegasus Masters gains both 1 toughness and 1 wound from this, making it a pretty good bargain.
However, Cold One Knights classify as cavalry and so they use the profile of the rider.

- The stiff breeze
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

Yeah, which makes the toughness stat on the cold one itself, rather useless.

We should get that upgraded to a Monsterous Cavalry!
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
herpesFree
Trainee Warrior

Post by herpesFree »

Praetorian1979 wrote:Yeah, which makes the toughness stat on the cold one itself, rather useless.

We should get that upgraded to a Monsterous Cavalry!

Yes! dinosaur riding knights seem like the very definition of monstrous.