[6th ed.] Double flee charge reaction. What happens?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

blueslevin
Slave on the Altar

[6th ed.] Double flee charge reaction. What happens?

Post by blueslevin »

Dear forum,

I am currentyl playing the 6th edition (that is to say the BEST edition ;) ) with some friends. I would like to ask for a clarification on a tactics that involves skink units.
Let's suppose the following configuration:

.......[ e e e e e e e e e e]
............. /
............./
............v
s1 s1 s1
..s1 s1 s1.....s2 s2 s2 s2
s1 s1 s1 s1....s2 s2 s2
..............s2 s2 2s s2

......[k k k k k k k k k]

"E" is the enemy unit
S1, S2 and K are my units

In that scenario I would like to ask some questions:

"E" charges "S1", "S1" flee as reaction to charge. "E" decides to pursue "S1", but "S1" rolls a sufficient high result to escape the charge. Thus, "E" decides to redirect the charge against "S2". "S2" rolls a result that is lower than the charging distance of "E" minus the distance between "E" and "S2". However, the result is high enough to get behind "K", which is actually extremely close to "S2". What happens in this case?
- Is "S2" destroyed?
- Is "E" considered to charge "S2)?
- Is "S2" safe and does "E" stops 1" from "K" beacuse this is the second charge redirection?

I hope that you can help me to understand better this situation.

For the sake of transparency: I am asking these questions because I would like to exploit a couple of units of skirmishers in order to make a strong enemy cavalry to fail the charge and then charge them back with a heavy hitting unit.

Thank you in advance!
Ming
Black Guard

Re: [6th ed.] Double flee charge reaction. What happens?

Post by Ming »

I believe the correct answer is the last one:
S2 is safe and E stops 1" from "K"
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: [6th ed.] Double flee charge reaction. What happens?

Post by Red... »

I'm not sure that you are right Ming.

IIRC, I believe that S2 would be caught and destroyed because fleeing is not done by examining the end point where units end up, but instead by the speed of their flight (after all, the units are moving at the same time, not the defender first and then the attacker after). So, if S2 rolls a score that is lower than the distance needed to outpace E, then they would be caught and hunted down before they reach the safety of being behind K.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman