RARE: Hydra

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

RARE: Hydra

Post by Langmann »

BM have M6? It may be hard to accomplish, but the assassin has M6 so its not unprecedented.

Breath weapon useable in combat as a small sphere, perhaps as S2-S3?

Other than that the unit is perfectly fine IMHO.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

tjheres ideas to let the breath weap to be used in combat, and then just turning the flame template the other way round to make it like multiple heads are using it...

the apprentices need some way of keeping up with the hydra. we must brainstorm coz M6 doesnt sit right.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Already said so in Metallurgist's feedback topic. I really don't like the idea of turning around the flame template!

Apprentices have to have M6 and it's very reasonable to do so (Assassins have it too, Skaven handlers have it too).

I think the Breath Weapon should be made stronger (same as High Elf Dragon Breath)!

Breath Weapon useable in melee seems a bit much.

Bye
Thanee
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

For the petition it'd be easiest to just make the apprentices M6 (why not anyway?) and lower the points for the hydra, he's overpriced as is. Perhaps 200-210pts or something?

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Yah, 200 points IMHO. Remember we need a reason to change points values other than our humble opinions. :D Perhaps if the BM were M6 then we could just leave the price as 220.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

langmann wrote:Remember we need a reason to change points values other than our humble opinions. :D Perhaps if the BM were M6 then we could just leave the price as 220.

What about this reason: "the Hydra was overpriced."

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Yah, well how do we prove it? ;) GW thinks they have playtested! ;)

Of course we can always ask. The worst they can do is say no.
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Well, I don't know, but I think we playtested as well, right? We've played with their crippled list for two years, doesn't that qualify?

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

What do the others think of cheaper hydras?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Not sure about that.

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

The hydra breath weapon could stay at s3 but be -1 to AS like the gyrocopter. M6 for the apprentices and keep the cost the same. If GW are not prepared to make any changes like these then they should reduce the cost to 200pts.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yep -1 to AS would be a reasonable idea.

If the breath weapon was to be used in close combat, it should replace the regular attacks, as Metallurgist suggested in his alternate army book. I don't think this change would add much, tho, therefore it would better be omitted, because it just looks "cheesy" (while it certainly is not).

Bye
Thanee
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Doesn't anybody see that a breath attack is worthless on a hydra? What will making the breath S3, -1 AS change? Nothing.

I say just drop some points, that's the easiest way to make the hydra cost-effective.

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Metallurgist wrote:Doesn't anybody see that a breath attack is worthless on a hydra? What will making the breath S3, -1 AS change? Nothing.

I say just drop some points, that's the easiest way to make the hydra cost-effective.

-Metallurgist

I agree with you. Either the breath weapon needs to be useable in combat, need to be something very original and usefull, or it should go.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Dropping the breath weapon is not an option to me. It just has to be there, but should be useful.

So what's wrong with using the same breath weapon as the High Elf dragon? It's reasonably powerful to be useful, but not overpowered, especially considering, that the Hydra has 5 heads to breathe with.

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

The dragon can position himself in such a way as to avoid being charged and use his breath weapon. Hydra suck at moving in that way, IMHO.

I don't know what you mean by 5 heads to breathe with? Right now I am so uncertain about the base my hydra is supposed to go on, that with the long chariot type base, my head gives no extra range. Also since I can only shoot in LOS by the base any head tends to be fine usually.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

It's just, that the Hydra has 5 heads, but only one breathe weapon. Just look at the Chaos Dragon, who gets 2 breath weapons with 2 heads.

Don't want to say, that there should be 5 breath weapons, but I think it would be reasonable to have a breath weapon with an equal strength compared to a Dragon.

And I really do not like the idea of the inversed template!

It might be more useful in close combat, but it makes no sense to have a flaming template with such a spread.

Bye
Thanee