RARE: The Cauldron

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

RARE: The Cauldron

Post by Langmann »

Now here's a unit that really pisses me off.

I love the look of the damn model. Its just so perfectly druchii. Now the fact that its useless and dies fast bugs me.

Why the hags don't get the benefit of more protection from missile fire confuses me. Really at least hit on a 5 or 6 would be nice at least.

The range is really short.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

My take:

0-1 Cauldron of Blood

Red Fury range increased to 24".

An attacking unit benefits from the Red Fury for the remainder of the current player's turn, if it started its movement within range of the Cauldron.

Hits from shooting are randomized between the Cauldron and the Guardians as per the standard warmachine rules.

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

You're spot on. Exactly what everyone wants.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

i wouldnt know about the cauldron other than it really needs a remake...
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Looks good Thanee. Although perhaps a 4+ ward against missile fire AND randomisation would be a bit much - is the ward necessary?

-Metallurgist
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

I think we meant, forget about the ward. At least that's what I meant when I said it should have a save on 5 or 6. The hags should just have the normal 6+ ward save the rest of the witches get on top of that.
IMHO
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I like it like that too
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I really don't see a problem with a 4+ Ward and randomization.

This way, the crew is about half as easily killed as a Greatcannon crew for example, for twice the number of points spent. Sounds pretty fair to me.

Bye
Thanee
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

Well, the crew are also unbreakable, and immune to psychology. The additional points the cauldron costs is not to take into account the crew's survival chances, but the cauldron's ability. So if the crew would be that hard to kill, the points cost should be raised.

I really think just randomisation and the 6+ ward is plenty protection they need against shooting.

-Metallurgist
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The effect of the Cauldron isn't that big and it's still limited.

Leaving the guardians unprotected (6+ Ward ispretty much unprotected) makes it far to easy to destroy the Cauldron.

Needs to be playtested, I think. It's hard to judge the viability in theory only.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

BTW, in the new Khemri book they have made the Casket (quite similar) with the same randomization as a warmachine.

Bye
Thanee
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Good to see they learn from their mistakes...
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Also gives us a good argument towards this change!

Bye
Thanee
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

[quote="Morasul"]...
hi, i've one ideea to the cauldron.
there was an discussion about the ward save agains shooting and the 1-4: hit war mashine. some guys thought this is a bit too hard (i think so, too).
why we don't give every witch in the radius (18" oder 24", don't know if you want to increase this, but it would be a good idea, so yuo can play more offensive that's druchiilike AND the cauldron would probably have less defence around) a ward asve of 5+
i played often against the new demonettes (i hope the spelling is right *g*) and you know they have this 5+ ws.
this isn't too hard and you've a chance to save some of this girlies
;)
the the crew of the cauldron isn't too save and the normal hags have a nice addon, too.
at the moment the 6+ is more or less, senseless, what do you think ???[quote]

Morasul sent me this idea for the Blood Cauldron.
Well, time WOULD be nice...
And, Storm of Chaos is here. Are you ready?
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Considering the potential impact the casket of souls can inject into a game by it's very presence on the battlefield, having the cauldron offer a 5+ WS to all witch elves within range is OK by me.

The Cauldron creates terror by it's presence, has good enough fluff to justify it and the girls get a better chance to really do their stuff.
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

Well, fine for me. increase the range, increase the WS and let the hits be divided up. Sounds pretty good to me.
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

another (possibly stupid) idea. Make it so that you can replace the guardians with normal witch elves...
Dungeon_god
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dungeon_god »

another (possibly stupid) idea. Make it so that you can replace the guardians with normal witch elves...

I think it would be hard to implement.
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

The Withcelves would have to leave their regiment, and that is flat-out impossible for normal models. However, a Witchelf-Heroine (we are going to get them back, right? RIGHT?) could jump in for one of them, I guess.