Why does everyone like dark riders?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Shveenie
Slave on the Altar

Why does everyone like dark riders?

Post by Shveenie »

why does everyone like dark steeds i have never used them so are they good?
Last edited by Shveenie on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark Elves will kill them all!
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

M9 enough said.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

It's simple- they're fast and reliable. But did you mean dark steeds compared to cold ones or dark riders compared to cold one knights? I personally can't abide cold one knights, so I just tailor my lists to use dark riders more effectively. As for mounting a commander on a dark steed, the hunter noble is a great thing to field, he's his own unit of dark riders.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

18" charge and, more importantly, no Stupidity...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

You'll learn to respect the DS in time ;)
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

fast cav as a core choice and your compalaining???

give it time my son and age shall bring wisdom.
you don't know the power of the darkside
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

In reply, let me ask you this - what have you been doing with them that makes you think that they are so bad?

Have you been charging them into the enemy's front line? Have you been trying to take out tough or heavily armored targets with them? Have you been accepting charges with them and expecting them to hold?

If so, then yeah - they're going to suck and die. That's not what they are good at.

Have been using them as bait? Have you been using them to get into the face of enemy units and then fleeing when they are charged (rallying, moving and even shooting on the very next turn)? Have you been using them to get in the way of the enemy's units and block them from making a critical charge? Have you been using them to hunt weak targets, penetrate into the enemy backfield and threaten flanks?

This is what Dark Riders excel at.

My father always told me that you always use the right tool for the job. So ask yourself - are you using a scalpel to do the job of a hatchet?
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

2 points:

1. Dark Steeds as in Dark Riders or Character Mounts? Clarify your question better...you'll get a better answer.

2. I also strongly suggest at least attempting to use complete words in your sentances. This isn't a CS game or an AoL Chatroom, you can type out "why." Spelling is slightly more forgiving, but that is rather unexcusable.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Also, this is not an army list . . . moved to the Tactics forum.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Reveredchaplaindrake
Warrior

Post by Reveredchaplaindrake »

Netspeak aside, I face a lot of fastcav-heavy Wood Elf armies with my Lizardmen, and they're frustrating as crap to beat. While Dark Riders don't hit with the force of Wild Riders exactly, what they can do is use their incredible movement, free reforms, and feigned flight (sometimes, not being Immune to Pscyh has its perks) to always be in a good place and get players to turn their foot blocks around in futility if they ever plan to do anything to your fastcav. And with Repeater Crossbows, they can run around on the enemy's sides and rears, pumping Repeater Crossbows into fragile little flanks. They're even more effective when facing frenzied enemies, like Khorne Knights or Empire Flagellants. Granted this really doesn't mean a lot against other fast armies, but anything dependent on heavy amounts of foot blocks (like Lizardmen, or potentially Undead and Empire) will be driven to frustration.
Shveenie
Slave on the Altar

Post by Shveenie »

Thank you guys i just wanted to see what people think of them because i have never used them just some people tell me that they are rubbish but from what you are saying i get th idea that they must be very good i will try them in my army.
dark Elves will kill them all!
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

For example yesterday i was playing Khorne with no flyers So they spent the entire game behind the enemy army meaning they moved a grand total of 4 inches a turn
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

Olaf_ironfoot
Noble

Post by Olaf_ironfoot »

I mount all my characters on Dark Steeds, even if they're going to be in my infantry blocks. I do this for a couple reasons-
1. It adds another S3 attack to the front rank, this can be nifty
2. Ups the armor save of my character
3. If I need to tie up a seperate unit, that character can burst out of there and do what he does
4. (My favorite) If I win a combat and he breaks, but I fail to catch, I can charge he character out of the unit. 18" charge practically guarantees it for me.
"I like women. I don't understand them, but I like them."
-Sean Connery
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

ReveredChaplainDrake wrote: Granted this really doesn't mean a lot against other fast armies, but anything dependent on heavy amounts of foot blocks (like Lizardmen, or potentially Undead and Empire) will be driven to frustration.

Out of curiosity, how would I use dark riders against fast armies such as beastmen or wood elves?
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

There's several options when it's about fast armies.

Fast doesn't mean hard though, so move around, be out of range for their charge and use the crossbows, you'll be able to do enough to annoy him or to even make his troops panics.

You can always use them as flankers, when your opponent knows about the flanking possibility, he'll try to counter that flank and sometime you could make him do a deadly mistakes.
Roppleb
Assassin

Post by Roppleb »

Dark riders are most important vs fast armies, not many (if any) armies are faster then 18 inches with free reform march so you can still use DR to dictate movement
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

M9, FC, RxB, Core. There ya go.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Tokijin
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tokijin »

Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

for myself, DR are very important for me as my army is a Slannesh themed raiding force, which means CoK are out because they cant feel pleasure, which is what my army is about; pure unadulterated pleasure seekers. CoC are also out for similar reasons - i dont want my general getting snapped at by the cold ones everytime he tries to hop on! so DR are my only cav, fits perfectly with a raider theme, and they do a good job flanking etc too

PS. the two spearelves who stayed alive in the above battle report deserve medals... or conversions... that was some crazy luck and determination on their part... thanks for that read, it was good fun
ImageImage
Generalchaos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Generalchaos »

Having come off of a near victory against Ogre Kingdoms ( it was a draw with a slight point advantage on my side) I'll have to say the entire game restd on the shoulders of my Dark Rider units.
I fielded two units of 5 DR with a level 4 sorc in on, and a lev 2 sorc in the other.
With these units i managed to shoot down aleast 5 ogres with massed rxb shots ( panicing two units) and with the added movement allowed my sorcs to freely cast from behind charge arcs. This let me cast doom bolts, chillwinds, and Dominations 'till my black heart's content.
All of that without taking a single casualty.
I don't actually play Chaos, i just like the sega game.