Master on Manticore options?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Jurgen
Slave (off the Altar)

Master on Manticore options?

Post by Jurgen »

I have a problem in how to equip a master on manticore.
The armylist is a balanced 2250pt army for a tournament with army composition limitations.

I have no specific task for the master on manticore, it should serve more as an multipurpose unit, depending on the opponents army and deployment. Presently iam considering the Ring of darkness, lance, full armour.
What are your magic item setups for it, and why?

Just in case, here is my army list:
L4 sorceress
COB
Manticore master
20 warriors
2x 5 DR,r.c
2x 5 harpies
6 COK
14 BG
7 Exec
5 shades
Hydra
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

first question -- how many points do you have to spend?
Truly These are the End Times ...
Jurgen
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jurgen »

As many as I like :)
Point cost is not a problem, I can tailor the army list acordingly. So the maximum 50pt magic items allowance and any mundane equipment , whitout any magic or mundane shooting weapons which I dont want to take for army comp reasons.
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

Lots of people run him as a BSB with full mundane and the standard of slaughter..

The ring of darkness is also a good choice too since it gives the manticore protection too.

And giving the master the KB lance makes for a nasty character hunter..
Deadlydeception
Corsair

Post by Deadlydeception »

If you really want multi purpose, you may want to consider the black dragon egg. I have found that it is nice to be able to get that deadly flame template down at critical times.

I run mine with heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, enchanted shield, lance and the egg, and it always is useful.
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

I've been toying with full mundane equipment, Beastmasters Scrounge or Lance and Repeater Handbows as well. And Hydras Teeth.... I know a lot of people don't like them, but you can open a flank with them, relatively easily. If you face a big regiment throw them all... hehehe!
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

Hydras teeth are also good for throwing at warmachines. Sometimes the enemy sets up his defenses well and the poor harpies and dark riders cant get thru. Wham land within 12 and toss the teeth.
Jurgen
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jurgen »

KB lance is tempting, but if the manti gets killed (and it dies easily) the lance is completly useless, so its a no go.

Yes, there was a topic about the BSB manti master, but it just isnt for me. I have to be able to risk it if I need to. Never liked elven BSBs anyway.

I like the idea for the B.Dragon egg or Hydra teeth. Unconventional items can let you pull some surprises, unlike the standard Crimson death + armour of darkness or similar combos.

So, in your opinion, which one is better tactically? Have you tried them in practice, not theoryhammer? What are the results?
Katon
Highborn

Post by Katon »

As i understand if the manti dies and the master is on foot the KB special ability carries on to his hand weapon. Just no bonus from lance.

Ive been thinking B.Egg on Morathi, T6 and a flamming breath attack is gd. A T6 Elf will be an unexpected suprise.

I think BSB Manti is too many points that you could lose to pure shooting.

A BSB COB be better for the army due to range and slightly safer.
Marwynn
Slave on the Altar

Post by Marwynn »

How about as a non-BSB in a 1000-1500 point game?
Jurgen
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jurgen »

The rules are clear - cannot use a lance if not mounted, so no KB if mount killed.

Seeing in anather topic that B.dragon egg doesnt count as magical attack I will try the Hydra teeth for the first time, thx all for helping.
Backslide
Warrior

Post by Backslide »

I think the egg would be great, tempted to try that one