Dark Elf FAQ update

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Er, I believe they changed the points cost of WoS for a reason. Unlikely to be changed. We have waited some time, and holding out til just after New Years won't kill us. :P
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

Mayby the faq comes with second wave or at new year...
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Kergoth
Corsair

Post by Kergoth »

The web team is historically poor at posting stuff in a timely manner unfortunately. Seems to have become even worse with the new web site for some reason as well. Not sure why unless they are trying to figure out how to link each question into the online store like everything else...

Isn't that already the case?

I thought I ones saw a FAQ behind a space marine picture there. Could be the WD too.
There are 24 beers in a pack
There are 24 hours in a day
coincidence?
I think NOT!
Chivalrous
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chivalrous »

riker666 wrote:The errata should just remove the web of shadows from the book. Forever...

It's useful in cahallenges where you're just going up against a unit champion. you usually come out with a reasonable overkill bonus. Trouble is that that is all it's good for.
It's an item that's pretty good for unit champions as and where they can take them. 50 points prices it out of their hands though, sadly.
Silashand
Warrior
Location: Somewhere between confused and clueless (Colorado, USA)

Post by Silashand »

Personally I have never actually found a use for the WoS even in the old book. It never seemed to do anything worhtwhile and was a mediocre choice to begin with. At 50pts IMO it's a definite non-choice. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I once ran a sorc with the web and a scroll in the last edition, and took steed of shadows. My opponent (HE) wasn't very pleased to find his archmage dead next to his dragon... :lol:
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Guys, don't drift, stay on topic please! This thread is clearly not about Web Of Shadows.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Sorry :cry:
I hope the FAQ will be on in short time :)
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

Melikai the wicked
Black Guard

Post by Melikai the wicked »

So is there any news aobut when we will see this FAQ? I cant wait anymore....
From the Frozen Peaks of IronFrost, Arises the Eternal Servent of Khaine
Silashand
Warrior
Location: Somewhere between confused and clueless (Colorado, USA)

Post by Silashand »

None yet apparently. Dunno what's up with it.

Cheers, Gary
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

I still think that faq comes with the second wave because that would sound obvious...
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
Dooks dizzo
Shade

Post by Dooks dizzo »

The good news is we don't have to worry about a movement through cover nerf with the Hydra according to the new BRB FAQ :)

Really it's just the Manbane+Stars and maybe the Pendant ruling that we really need.

Oh, and Black Horror is not effected by Magic Resistance!
It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs - Jack Handy
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

There's a new FAQ for the main rulebook up at GW's website. Nothing for the Dark Elves, though.
To the dark house, dwelling of Irkalla's god,
To the house which those who enter cannot leave,
On the road where travelling is one way only,
To the house where those who enter are deprived of light
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I'm starting to sense one of two things. 1) GW likes making Dark Elves wait for things we need, or 2) They have been planning to release it with the "second wave" like others have been saying.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Dooks Dizzo wrote:
Oh, and Black Horror is not effected by Magic Resistance!

Why not?
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Looks like someone is taking the no targetting rule a bit too far. If in doubt given the opponent benefit of the doubt is my rule.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

It says in the main rule book "pick a target for your spell"...
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Dark Alliance wrote:It says in the main rule book "pick a target for your spell"...

Long debate on Warseer and TWF, I end up looking as the "guy who makes stuff up" for bring page 107 up and showing them that you pick a target before casting.

They say spells that don't mention having to target simply don't target and they made a list of spells that 'now ignores MR and Ring of Hotek completely'...

-_- sigh.

GWShop FAQ was nice but it brought confusion on a few points now, especially the contradictions.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Personally I give no creedence to Warseer...

As for TWF, I'll have a look but it doesn't change page 107.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

hmm. the way I understand the FAQ it means that all area spells are unaffected by MR/RoH :s

In case of Black Horror your target is a point in space where the template will show up when the spell is successfully cast, and affect all units it touches. Problem is according to this FAQ affecting doesn't mean targetting.

Like for example Wind of Undeath. Does it target all units on the table... or just affect them? (I don't have VC book)

Silly GW and their FAQs <.<
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Shrike
Dark Rider

Post by Shrike »

I think Black Horror is targetting whatever it hits- otherwise you could place it on models in combat and say, "Nah, I'm not targetting those models in combat, I'm just targetting the ground beneath then... honest!" :lol:
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

Black Horror does not have a target unit. If GW has changed the wording of Magic Resistance to require the unit be "targeted" as a quantifier, then Magic Resistance no longer applies against Black Horror. I don't really care for that, but it's clearly how the rules are written, so there you go. If Black Horror can't be cast into combat, it'll be because of the rules preventing you from intentionally placing templates so that they hit units in combat.

All this FAQ has done is illustrate to me that GW needs to hire new people to handle its FAQs and errata. They have a team that comes up with a lot of good ideas, but they need to hire a rules lawyer (or three) to fashion those ideas into tight, concise rules that are consistent with one another. Make the rules tournament quality and encourage people to take them lightly for friendly games, instead of writing rules casually and expecting players to hash through many ambiguous grey areas in order to make tournaments work.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Hmm, not too sure here, but I think that we may be drifting off topic just a tiiiiiny bit...

So much for it coming out shortly after New Year's! The suspense... she is killing me.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

The problem with Black Horror and other similar spells is the potential for causing ill-feeling during the game. There are times when the MR will not be applicable, but there will also be times when it is, and just because the word "target" is not included in the spell description, woe betide anyone who tries to claim they are targeting the ground my unit is standing on.

Tbh, the majority of the comments in the various threads I have read so far about this, are just further indications of why people ought to play more games and spend less time locked away dissecting every last letter in the given rules.

Geez...
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

While I understand the sentiment DA, the problem with Black Horror is that it has no target. You simply place the template anywhere within 18" of the caster, and off you go. You cannot claim that a unit is targeted by something just because it's in the area of effect (if GW wants to change this, then they need to switch out "targeted" with "effected").

Now, if you want to have this discussion with your opponent before the game and make a house ruling, that's absolutely great. But, once the game begins, it's a bit too late to propose a rules change.
To the dark house, dwelling of Irkalla's god,
To the house which those who enter cannot leave,
On the road where travelling is one way only,
To the house where those who enter are deprived of light